Peer Educators Program at WCSU
Promote awareness and responsible behavior on a variety of health/wellness and social issues affecting the WCSU community.
Students play a uniquely effective role - unmatched by professional educators - in encouraging their peers to consider, talk honestly about, and develop responsible habits and attitudes towards the use or non-use of alcohol and other student health and safety issues, including sexual assault, impaired driving, sexual responsibility, and tobacco prevention. We support those students in the majority who are making responsible decisions in regards to their health.
What is a Peer Educator?
Peer Educators are an ever evolving group that provide educational and fun programs for other students in an informal environment conducive to exchange and open communications.
- Freshman, sophomore, or junior class standing (can be a senior if returning for the Fall semester)
- Attend training, usually offered each semester
- Maintain an overall GPA of 2.5
- Attend all training sessions and meetings
- Be a role model for your peers
- Develop creative educational programs and assist in organizing and implementing awareness days and theme weeks ( Programming PE)
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of the Social Norms Campaign (Social Norms PE)
- Develop educational programs and assist in the organization and implementing of awareness days and theme weeks for those students within a specific group (Specialized PE)
Opportunities the Peer Education Program offers
- Increase your level of confidence
- Develop awareness and personal wellness about a variety of health related & current issues
- Participate in team building programs
- Contribute positively to WestConn social life
- Work with others
- Expand your personal & academic growth
- Build credentials into your resume
- Experience as a group facilitator and educator
- Leadership opportunities
- Provide a needed service while having fun
Areas of Involvement
Peer Educators, depending on their interests, break out into several different areas, including:
Students present programs in the residence halls, student center, snack bar and classroom to bring the message of wellness and health to the WestConn community. All programs are designed for interaction and fun while providing valuable information.
Social Norms Campaign
These Peer Educators work closely with the CHOICES office to bring the real story of alcohol and drug use on WestConn's campus to light! We sponsor student focus groups and student forums to poll the student body for their opinions on various subjects.
Specialized Peer Educator
This Peer Educator works exclusively with a target population such as (but not limited to) athletes, new students, Greek Life, or the newly developing Peer Theater program.
Join us! submit
your request to become a Peer Educator!