Digital and Interactive Media Arts
The BA in Digital and Interactive Media Arts (DIMA) brings together art, media production, and computer programming to develop skills that prepare students to work in numerous digital environments. Through design, discovery, adaptation, code, and collaboration students work on creative solutions for emerging media. At the end of study, students will have the opportunity to produce a fully developed work.
This interdisciplinary degree is supported by three departments–Art, Communication & Media Arts, and Computer Science–and offers options for specialization in production or programming. All students work together in core DIMA courses, learning how to integrate knowledge across disciplines and produce fully realized projects from idea to storyboard to production. Digital Media Producers, Editors, Managers, and Specialist positions can be found in numerous contexts including entertainment, education, medicine, and corporate and non-profit organizations. We recommend that students consider a minor in a field related to their ideal work environment.
It is the mission of the DIMA degree program to support the development of cutting-edge digital media skills that are grounded in the liberal arts and focused on collaboration.
Summary of Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate competency in the use of current digital production tools
- Integrate theories of design and interaction into all DIMA productions.
- Understand the legal, ethical, and social constraints of working with digital media.
- Work collaboratively across specializations to develop high quality DIMA projects.
- Develop and present professional portfolios of digital and interactive media productions.