Tips for Identifying a Potential Mentor
- Pursue only research mentors you are truly interested in working with.
- Have a polished resume ready when you contact potential mentors. We recommend using this resume template.
- Do not rely solely on email! Show initiative by setting up an appointment, calling, or going directly to a professor’s office to discuss the opportunity.
- Use who you know! Using your network of friends, classmates, and professors is a great way to learn about and find the right mentor for you.
- Be assertive and professional, but not entitled!
SURF Faculty Mentors