Student Expenses

As part of the Connecticut State System of Higher Education, Western Connecticut State University offers high quality degree programs at reasonable cost. Details of expenses for full-time and part-time, in-state and out-of-state students appear below.

A full-time student is defined as one who is enrolled for a minimum of 12 semester hours of course load credit. A part-time student is one who is enrolled for fewer than 12 semester hours of course load credit. All students, when they register, must inform the registration clerk that they are either full-time or part-time.

The schedules of fees, tuition, methods of payment and refund policies provided below are valid at the time of publication of this catalog and are subject to change as necessary.

2006-2007 Full-Time Undergraduate Estimated Annual Expenses

  In-State Out-of-State
Tuition * $3,187 $10,315
Fees 2,919 4,113
Housing (dorm double) ** 4,711 4,711
Meal Plan (required for Midtown dorm students) 3,233 3,233
Estimated Books & Supplies 750 750
Sickness Insurance *** 625 625
Total $15,425 $23,747

In addition to text books, students must furnish their own notebooks, writing implements, and art supplies. Students should also be prepared to pay for field trips and regional study tours since these activities are an integral part of the education program. All non-music majors and minors pay an applied music fee for lessons: $320 for 1-2 semester hours, $620 for 3-4 semester hours. All full-time undergraduate and graduate students who are music majors or minors are exempt from payment. All part-time students must pay the fee.

* Full-time students will be charged for each credit hour over 18 credits at the course fee rate.
** See Office of Residence Life for a complete list of room rates.
*** Domestic students may waive sickness insurance if covered by a private policy.

Binder and Deposit: Nonrefundable

  • Admissions Binder: $200 due May 1, or within 15 days of billing. Applied to state university tuition.
  • Housing Deposit: $250 due within 15 days of billing.

The admissions binder may be transferred from Western Connecticut State University to other constituent units of the Connecticut system of public higher education. Enrollment in another unit must occur within 60 days of the beginning of the semester for which the binder was paid to Western Connecticut State University. Students requesting transfer should notify the Admissions Office of the institution they will be attending.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Returning and new students for the fall semester must make the fall tuition and fee payment no later than July 28, 2006. Returning and new students for the spring semester must make the spring tuition and fee payment by December 28, 2006.

Failure to pay tuition and fees by the required dates will result in cancellation of classes.

Students may pay tuition and fees by cash, check, money order, or credit card. VISA, MASTERCARD and DISCOVER are accepted.

TuitionPay Monthly Plan

TuitionPay is not a loan, but a tuition payment plan that allows students to pay their educational expenses, interest-free, over a period of ten months. It is available to full-time students only. For more information, call TuitionPay toll-free at 1-800-635-0120 or contact the Financial Aid Office at (203) 837-8580.

Re-Registration fee

Any student who is dropped for non-payment and wishes to re-register will be subject to a $100 non-refundable re-registration fee.

Late fee

A $50 late fee will be assessed to accounts that fail to pay the balance due by the payment deadline.

Refund Policy

A. For Students Who Are Not Title IV Recipients

Non-refundable fees include the application fee, admissions binder, housing deposit, and participation fee. In order to be eligible for a refund, a full-time student must formally withdraw from the university. A refund of tuition, university and student activity fees, and the balance of the housing fee, excluding binder and deposit, will be issued according to the schedule below. The refund amount is determined by the official date of withdrawal.

Prior to the first day of classes 100% refund
Within the first two weeks of the semester 60% refund
From the third through the fourth week of the semester 40% refund

B. For Students Receiving Title IV Assistance:

Both full-time and part-time students who formally withdraw from the university and are recipients of Title IV funds should contact the Financial Aid Office to see if they are entitled to a pro-rated refund.

Meal Plan Refund

This fee is refundable on a pro-rated basis upon withdrawal from the university.

Part-Time Undergraduate Tuition

Course Fee (per credit hour) $304 per credit hour
Registration Fee - each semester $60

Online CSU (in-state) $326 per credit hour
Online CSU (out-of-state) $399 per credit hour
Online Registration Fee $50 per course

Students may pay for part-time tuition by cash, check, money order or credit card (VISA, MASTERCARD and DISCOVER only).

Refund Policy For Part-time Students

A tuition refund for part-time students withdrawing from classes will be issued on the following basis:

Withdrawal during the first week of the semester–100%
Withdrawal during the second and third week–50%

No refunds are issued after the third week of the semester. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Foreign Exchange Rate Policy

Central/Eastern/Southern/Western Connecticut State University settles all accounts in United States dollars and does not assume any liability for losses that may result from foreign exchange rate differences under any circumstances. In the event of an error to a student’s account, Central/Eastern/Southern/Western Connecticut State University’s liability is limited to the correction of the error in United States dollars.

New England Regional Student Program

WestConn participates in the New England Regional Student Program of the New England Board of Higher Education. This arrangement offers residents of the other New England states the opportunity to enroll at WestConn for Connecticut resident tuition rates (plus $1,324 per year) in courses not available in their home states. Similarly, Connecticut residents may avail themselves of programs, offered by schools in other New England states, not available at the Connecticut State University.

Detailed information about the Regional Program can be obtained through the Office of University Admissions at WestConn, from any secondary school guidance office, or from the New England Board of Higher Education, 45 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111; (617) 357-9620.

New England Regional Program at WestConn

Bachelor Degree Programs Open to Residents of:
American Studies Rhode Island, Vermont
Communications/Media Maine, Rhode Island
Community Health Education New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
Criminal Justice/Criminology New Hampshire, Rhode Island
Earth Science (Astronomy focus) Rhode Island, Vermont
Health Education Vermont
Management Information Systems Maine
Meteorology (Forecasting) Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island
Meteorology (Science) Maine, Rhode Island

Connecticut Resident Senior Citizen Waiver

Any Connecticut resident 62 or over who is a full-time student is exempted from the state tuition charge and the state university fee. General fees and student activity fees are not waived.

Senior citizens attending the university as part-time students pay a $60 nonrefundable registration fee when taking any continuing education courses.

State Rehabilitation Programs

State Rehabilitation Commissions frequently offer generous educational services to persons with a disability or a handicap. A student with a disability or handicap should contact a commission office to determine eligibility.

Related Links: