Students' attitudes, perceptions & opinions
WestConn's Second Annual Core Drug & Alcohol
- Students are concerned about their friends who drive drunk, "even
though we know it's dangerous, too many people still do it."
- 69% of students directly named "date rape" and violence in relationships
as concerns. Both male and female students want to see these issues
brought to the forefront.
- Students felt strongly that the "non-drinking" social
events on Thursday nights were too few and that campus facilities such
as the gym or cafe should stay open later.
- Students care about other students' health, emotional well-being
and safety, and want to affect change.
On Campus Drug & Alcohol Use May Affect Men & Women Differently.
Women are significantly less likely
to want alcohol and drugs available at parties.
- Women are significantly more likely to have abstained from alcohol use in the past 30 days.
- 81% of those who had "experienced unwanted intercourse" in the past
year had recently consumed alcohol or drugs.
- Women are significantly less likely to have participated in binge drinking within
the previous 2 weeks.