Commencement 2013 Recap
About 1,100 students received undergraduate degrees as friends, families and loved ones filled the Westside Athletic Complex stadium on Sunday, May 12, for Western's 115th commencement. Patricia Llodra, first selectman of Newtown, and Dr. Janet Robinson, Newtown superintendent of schools, addressed the graduates.
At a separate graduate commencement ceremony on Friday, May 10, in the Feldman Arena of the William O’Neill Athletic and Convocation Center, more than 150 students received graduate degrees. Several educators also received doctoral degrees. The commencement speaker was Juanita T. James, president and CEO of the Fairfield County Community Foundation.
As important as the actual degrees received are the feelings of accomplishment and satisfaction experienced by our graduates. Whether they enrolled at WestConn upon graduating from high school, after a stint at a community college or other university, or after decades in the workforce — every member of the Class of 2013 had something to celebrate at commencement.
Following are highlights of commencement weekend, in images, video and narrative.
WCSU Commencement In the News
- Western Connecticut State University graduation 2013 - May 14
- Octogenarian takes place among 2013 WCSU graduates - May 13
- Newtown officials honored at WCSU commencement - May 13
- Western Connecticut State University graduates on a sunny Sunday - May 13
- 83-year-old woman graduates from WCSU - May 13
- At WCSU commencement, Newtown leaders bring message of resilience - May 12
- WCSU graduation - May 12
- Western Connecticut State University ceremony: 'We live among heroes' - May 12
- Newtown leaders to speak at WestConn commencement - May 9
- ProfNet roundup: 2013 commencement speakers - May 9
- Nonprofit leader to speak at WestConn's Graduate School Commencement - May 9
- Llodra, Robinson to speak at WCSU commencement - May 6
- Llodra and Robinson to address WCSU grads - April 27