ITC : Information Technology Committee (ITC) Minutes

December, 08 2007

Information Technology Committee (ITC) Minutes

November 8, 2007, 12:30pm-2pm, OM 304

Present: Rich Montague, Hugh McCarney, Kit Hinga, Rona Gurkewitz, Lorraine Capobianco, Fred Zarnowski, Veronica Kenausis, Rebecca Woodward, Ryan Shea, Michael Hebron


Hugh McCarney noticed that the Academic Planning Calendar had the “First Day of Classes” but not the “Last Day of Classes.” Lorraine said there is a web team that works on the website and suggestions can be submitted to Paul Steinmetz or Steve Veillette. Academic Affairs maintains the calendar and will be asked to add the last day of classes. Rona Gurkewitz wanted to know if there were directions on the website on how to have an announcement posted in WestConnduit.  Lorraine said she didn’t think so but it was a good suggestion. Lorraine mentioned that the IT Strategic Functional Committee, which is a subcommittee of the University Strategic Planning Committee, is discussing what communication mechanisms the university will use in the future. In the meantime, Lorraine will see where we can add directions on the Website.

Lorraine discussed projects that are slated to be done over the intersession.  WS116 will be totally renovated. The room will receive new carpeting, a new ceiling, recessed indirect lighting, new power poles and telecom, 2 projectors, 2 electric screens, new tables and chairs. The computers are new.  The glass showcase will be removed from the back of the room and the wall at the front of the room will be renovated so that it is one even plane.  Rona mentioned that it is difficult to see what students are doing while standing at the instructor’s station. Lorraine provided a list of suggestions for Rona to address this issue.  Additionally, the new student station desks will be bi-level and the instructor station will be high like other instructor stations in the building.  The monitor will sit on the lower level.  The bi-level tables are in Hi210 and Lorraine suggested that Rona visit Hi210.  In order to start the renovation during exam week, Lorraine will contact Paul Prisco to find out who is using WS116 during exam week and try to find alternate classrooms. The timeframe is tight but we will make it work and the end result will be worth the wait.

Work on the MIS Security Lab will start in January 08.  The goal is now to complete the room by the end of June 08. Four faculty offices will be created on the right side of the area and the lab will be on the left side. Rona asked if the lab will be for Computer Science also.  Lorraine said she has not been given any information that the lab is for CS also CS should approach MIS if they wish to collaborate in the future. The projection for the WH325b Social Sciences lab will be complete ASAP. We are waiting for a few parts for the mounting bracket.   

Lorraine informed the ITC that Newbury Hall and Litchfield Hall are now wireless, as well as the remaining areas in the Student Center and Warner Hall. A site survey will be done on Grasso and Pinney with a goal of completion by the end of January 08.  Fairfield Hall will be wireless when the renovation is complete or soon after. This will depend on the contractors allowing us to enter Fairfield Hall during construction. 

Current Base Software Survey –

Lorraine distributed to each school and the library copies of the requests that were submitted by faculty in their school/area along with which faculty did and did not answer the survey. Lorraine will send out an email to the faculty who did not respond saying it is very important that they participate.  Faculty need to complete the survey to at least inform UC (University Computing) what software they are using. It is ok if they do not have new software that they need. Hugh McCarney requested a copy of the ITC software that was requested the last two years. Gail Walsh will send Hugh the spreadsheets. Lorraine mentioned that Select Survey software is available to faculty and staff to conduct their own surveys. To request the use of the survey software, an email needs to be sent to Request University Computing.


Lorraine distributed a draft of the policy on laptop security to the ITC for their comments. Lorraine explained that the essence of the second paragraph cannot be changed because it was reviewed by the Assistant Attorney General’s office. But we do have some flexibility to make changes to the first paragraph. The committee agreed that even though student grades and DEC evaluations are not Class A Data, they should be added to the list of sensitive data not be stored on portable media. Lorraine will revise the draft, and share it with the committee. Along with the laptop policy, all laptop users will have to bring their laptops in so that UC can check for updates, barcode, serial numbers, etc., and have individual re-sign the on-loan form. Laptops are also going to be required to be put on the WestConn network every 1-2 months. Details of how often and how long are still being worked out and once settled, Lorraine will inform the ITC.

Auditors of Public Accounts (APA) and PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PWC) Audits

PWC was here last week conducting an audit for the period 1/1/07 through 9/30/07. The audit included a review of documentation to see if we follow our processes when change occurs e.g., access rights when a person is hired, retires, transfers, security policy change. The APA audit issue that UC needs to address is regarding an annual software inventory, and the tracking of all software. Lorraine and all of the CIOs support the need to install and use freeware for faculty. 

Next Meeting – December 13, 2007, OM304, 12:30-2pm