Information Technology Committee (ITC) Minutes
March 12, 2009 11:30-1:00pm, OM304
Present: Lorraine Capobianco (chair), Rona Gurkewitz, Rich Montague, Mitch Wagener, Terry Wells, Fred Zarnowski, Dan Goble, Kit Hinga, Edmund Breitling, Rebecca Woodward
ITC Membership – Spring 2009
- Lorraine Capobianco, Chief Information Officer (ITC Chair)
- Dr. Richard Montague, Chair, MIS (Ancell School of Business Technology Chair)
- Dr. Stephen Wagener, Biology (Macricostas School of Arts and Sciences Technology Chair)
- Dr. Kathleen Hinga, Social Work (School of Professional Studies Technology Chair)
- Dr. Dan Goble, Chair, Music & Music Education (School of Visual & Performing Arts Technology Chair)
- Rona Gurkewitz, Computer Science (Computer Science Department Representative)
- Fred Zarnowski, Director of Information Technology (Director of Information Technology)
- Rebecca Woodward, Director of Media Services (Director of Media Services)
- Veronica Kenausis, Electronic Systems Librarian (Director of Library Services designee)
- Edmund Breitling, President, Student Government Association
- Elizabeth Gugino, Student Representative
Six desktops will be replaced in Haas Reference Library by end of March. Machine and printer upgrades in the offices of Financial Aid, Registrar, Cashier, Human Resources, University Relations, and Graduate Admissions are complete. We received a quote for the projection in WS243 and it is being reviewed by UC. Lorraine doesn’t know yet if there is enough money in this year’s budget. Mike Lynch spoke to a consultant regarding the audio in SB125. We will get pricing for the solution. As money tightens, printers may have to be pulled from offices and centralized printers will be used instead. We definitely need to stress double-sided printing.
The Department of Music was surveyed by the National Association of Schools of Music on March 2nd and 3rd. Dan Goble said the feedback from the survey site visitors was very positive. One member of the team who is from Penn State, said the music technology lab is one of the best in the state that he has seen.
Student Questions/Needs – Update
- SGA online election software application – (The software received from SCSU did not fulfill our requirements so a web-based system is being developed in UC.)
- Debate Club – allocated 2 wireless laptops
- Meteorology Club – allocated 4 used desktops/printer
At the 4/12/09 ITC meeting, the committee will review and determine a process for possible re-evaluation of “Responsible Department.” Lorraine asked, “Do we need to redistribute some rooms?” HPX wants a room different from HI 114. Sal Trapani would like a room with 12 computers. Lorraine, Todd, and Jason will meet with Computer Science regarding their server needs and upgrading WS 103 over the summer.
Faculty & Classroom Software
A draft version of WCSU Software Inventory and instructions will be distributed and reviewed by the ITC membership at the next meeting. In the meantime, requests for ITC software should be emailed to “Request University Computing” and “ITC Software Request” should be in the subject to alert UC.
Faculty Head Counts
A summary of desktop computing funds as of 3/10/09 was distributed and discussed. Lorraine would like to attend school ITC/dept. meetings to discuss equipment money, email policy and address any other issues/questions/topics. Current machine pricing spreadsheet dated 3/1//09 was also distributed. The A&S criteria for computer purchases was distributed as a sample and for possible use by other schools. The Ancell School of Business surveyed the faculty for technology needs.
Inventory – Faculty & Staff that have more than one machine
To be further discussed at the 4/9/09 meeting. Lorraine will see if Property Management can run a report from the university’s records to assist with this.
ITC Replacement Plan
The replacement plan was distributed to the committee. The listings highlighted in green will be done and the ones highlighted in yellow are to be discussed. Lorraine asked the school technology chairs to share this information with their school technology committees and bring feedback to the next ITC meeting. Rebecca Woodward mentioned that Media Services needs 2 desktops to replace machines provided by a vendor for channel 80. UC will provide replacement desktops. Lorraine would like to replace all of the instructor stations to stay consistent but depending on funding, may only be able to do those installed in 2003.
Next Meeting: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 11:00am-12:30pm, OM304.