Information Technology Committee (ITC) Minutes
December 8, 2011, 12pm-1pm, OM304
Present: Lorraine Capobianco (Chair), Mitch Wagener, Todd McInerney, Rich Montague, Rona Gurkewitz, Terry Wells, Veronica Kenausis, Kit Hinga, Rebecca Woodward
Projects In Process – Update
- Haas 413 –Haas 413 will be upgraded with new machines with Windows 7 on December 16, 2011.
- WS212 –UC (University Computing) will install new laptops during the intersession during the week of January 9, 2012.
- MIS Information Security Classroom/Lab WS128–UC installed new HP USDTs (Ultra Small Desktops) and deployed servers. MIS is teaching digital forensics in the classroom/lab in Spring/2012. Mark Pisano and Todd McInerney attended the MIS department meeting on December 7th to discuss technical details of the room and provide training on the technology in the room for MIS. Deb Kinnane is getting a quote for artwork for WS128. Lorraine will arrange for training on EnCase. Rona Gurkewitz asked if Computer Science could teach in WS128 after MIS teaches in Spring 2012 semester. The two departments need to meet and discuss.
- Graphic Research will receive new computers (HP USDTs), 24” fpms, and 1 TB hard drives.
- Toshiba Thrives – Rich Parmalee and Jeff Postolowski are experimenting with this device with the goal that they can be used by UC technicians to close/update work orders in Track-It! Luigi Marcone would like maintenance staff to use them to update/close work orders in SchoolDude.
- Pharos printing solution – UC and WestConnect staff will meet over the intersession to discuss a pricing structure/account balancing for students. Students will not be charged for printing from university printers. Rather, students will be given a credit balance to use for printing. They will be able to look up in Banner what they would be spending to print which is really what they would be saving. March 2012 is the target date for implementation.
- As a pilot, the university will purchase multifunction printer/copier/fax/scanner machines to replace printers in UC (University Computing).
- Lorraine met with the deans and recommended that they meet with their school technology committee once each semester. Lorraine reminded the deans that the ITC minutes are on our website. The deans provided names of faculty who will attend Blackboard Learn 9 in the Spring 2012. There was also a discussion regarding the possibility of redistribution of responsible departments assigned to technology classrooms.
New Technologies/New Initiatives
- SMARTboards – Thirteen 87” SMARTboards with UX60 projectors, Model 885ix have been ordered and ten have been delivered. This particular model is the newest model. There are four cameras, one located at each corner of the SMARTboard which enables two people to write on the board at once. This model can be used as a whiteboard as well in that you can write on it with dry erase markers. You can also use your finger to write on the board. Faculty have identified rooms that they desire to have a SMARTboard installed. Nursing wants 2, Math wants 1, and WH122 was requested by Wes Ball. Lorraine asked the ITC to provide recommended rooms to Gail Walsh. The vendor, RnB Enterprises evaluated some of the rooms that faculty requested and there are suitability issues with almost every one. Some of them are: Warner Hall: placement is difficult due to pillar in the room; WS117A is a long narrow room with about 40 feet of whiteboard. One of the whiteboards in this room can be replaced; WS 518: chalk boards need to be removed. Lorraine will send a list of rooms to the deans/departments explaining what is going to be done so that they can approve/suggest. Lorraine suggested that faculty research software that they want for the SMARTboards. Some companies that make educational software for SMARTboards are:
The target date for installation and training will start in February.
- Streaming movies/Netflix personal accounts – Personal Netflix accounts cannot be used to stream movies in the classroom. The Netflix contract for individuals do not allow it and they do not have business accounts.
ITC Meeting Schedule :
- Next Meeting: 2/9/12. Lorraine will be available from 11:30am to noon and from 1pm-1:30pm for individual questions.