WCSU presents diverse musical performances this spring
DANBURY, CONN. — The Western Connecticut State University Department of Music will present a rich diversity of concert and recital offerings featuring jazz, piano, percussion, choral and symphonic band performances by WCSU faculty, students and guest artists during March, April and May, 2016.
All performances will be in the Veronica Hagman Concert Hall of the Visual and Performing Arts Center on the university’s Westside campus, 43 Lake Ave. Extension in Danbury. Tickets are required for all performances. To purchase tickets, call (203) 837-8732 or visit www.eventbrite.com.
Concert offerings this spring include:
- Friday, March 11, at 7 p.m.: Student musicians will take center stage as the WCSU Jazz Combos perform in concert.
- Wednesday, March 16, at 8 p.m.: The Symphonic Band, conducted by Timothy Wiggins will perform.
- Thursday, March 31, through Saturday, April 2, at 7 p.m.: The 21st annual WCSU Jazz Festival will include three evening concerts: WCSU jazz faculty and select student groups will perform March 31. Joe Lovano will be the guest performer with the WCSU Jazz Orchestra in concert on April 1. The Jazz Fest April 2 will feature Kenny Garrett and his quintet.
- Wednesday, April 6, at 8 p.m.: WCSU students will present a Piano studio recital.
- Friday, April 8, through Sunday, April 10: The WCSU Opera Ensemble will present “The Merry Widow” by Franz Lehar at 8 p.m. on April 8 and 9, and 2 p.m. on April 10, in the MainStage Theatre. Directed by Margaret Astrup.
- Saturday, April 9, at 5 p.m.: Pianist Alexander Kobrin performs.
- Saturday, April 9, at 5:30 p.m.: “Night at the Opera” hosted by the WCSU Alumni Association will include dinner buffet and ticket to “The Merry Widow.” Cost. For more information or to make a reservation, go to http://alumni.wcsu.edu/file/documents/Flyer--Reservation-Form.pdf or call (203) 837-8298.
- Wednesday, April 13, at 3 p.m.: Percussion Ensemble conducted by David Smith.
- Sunday, April 17, at 3 p.m.: Wind Ensemble conducted by Fernando Jimenez.
- Tuesday, April 19, at 8 p.m.: The WCSU Chamber Singers conducted by Kevin Jay Isaacs and Concert Choir conducted by Cory Ganschow will perform.
- Sunday, April 24, at 3 p.m.: SAXOPHESTIVUS: The WCSU Saxophone Orchestra and Saxophone Quartets will perform.
- Sunday, May 1, at 3 p.m.: Percussion Ensemble conducted by David Smith.
- Monday, May 2, at 8 p.m.: Experimental Music Ensemble conducted by Fernando Jimenez.
- Wednesday, May 4, at 8 p.m.: Symphonic Band conducted by Timothy Wiggins.
For more information, contact the Office of University Relations at (203) 837-8486. For a complete list of similar SVPA events, visit www.wcsu.edu/svpa/events.asp.
Western Connecticut State University offers outstanding faculty in a range of quality academic programs. Our diverse university community provides students an enriching and supportive environment that takes advantage of the unique cultural offerings of Western Connecticut and New York. Our vision: To be an affordable public university with the characteristics of New England’s best small private universities.