Orientation : Welcome Week 2017

FAQ Welcome Week

Last updated: March 29, 2017

Technology Frequently Asked Questions

When and where is Welcome Week?
Welcome Week begins on August 25th.  A schedule with all of the week’s activities will be posted on-line.

Back to Top

What requirements are there before I am allowed to register?

The following information must be in place before you can register for classes:

  1. make your $200.00 non-refundable deposit
  2. send a copy of your childhood vaccinations, specifically the MMRs and varicella, to the Health Service Office (fax to 203-837-8583) – include your WCSU ID number on the fax – or bring this information with you when you come to register
  3. you will need to have taken any applicable placement test as noted in your admissions packet (Math, English, and Chemistry)

If you missed June Orientation and need to catch up, you will be sent your schedule along with a package of information to help you get on track for the Fall semester.  Transfer students need to meet with an advisor as soon as possible after being accepted (don’t forget to bring your program sheet to the meeting).  If you just now got accepted to Western, please check out the summer advisement schedule or make an appointment with the Advisement Center at 203-837-8397 to register for classes.

Back to Top

What immunizations must I provide in order to register for classes?

Connecticut State law requires students to present immunizations in order to register for courses. Please go to www.wcsu.edu/healthservices and click on immunization requirements for details.

Back to Top

Do I need to show any other immunization if I will be residing on campus?

All residence hall students are required by Connecticut State Law, Public Act 01-93, to have documented proof of immunization with meningococcal vaccine (menactra or menomune) before arriving on campus.  Please submit your proof to the Health Services office located in front of Litchfield Hall, Midtown campus.  Also, you may fax your information to (203)837-8583.

Back to Top

When do Fall classes begin?
Classes begin on Tuesday, August 29, 2017.

Back to Top

How do I register for Welcome Week?
You do not have to register for Welcome Week.  But, if you have any questions you can call 203-837-9700 or send an email to diazv@wcsu.edu.

Back to Top

What is the “Entering the Gates” ceremony and why is it important?
During the “Entering the Gates” ceremony, you, as a new member of the Western community, will enter through the university gates, symbolically leaving behind your life as high school student or student at another university.  Led by the university president, deans, and faculty in academic regalia, you will enter and accept your new role as a responsible member of the Western community and university life.

This tradition was started in 1999 and has been a part of the Welcome Week activities ever since. Similar traditions have been part of opening ceremonies at many other colleges and universities around the country, including Ivy League schools such as Penn or Brown.

Students should line up around 1:15 p.m. on the sidewalk in front of Old Main (paralleling White Street). Make sure you wear your new Western t-shirt which you’ll receive at check-in. Parents may line-up on the paths leading from the gates to the quad where the Opening Ceremony will be held. Faculty and staff in their regalia will also assemble around 1:15 p.m. in the Alumni and Friends Circle next to Old Main and the Gates to lead the procession.

It’s time to take on your new role and be proud of it!

Back to Top

When will I get information about Welcome Week?
You will receive a postcard about Welcome Week in the mail in early August and a reminder email will be sent to all students later in the month.  Your best source of information, however, will be the detailed schedule posted on the web which will be updated continuously as we get closer to Welcome Week.

Back to Top

What do I need to bring for Welcome Week?
If you are planning to buy or rent your books, bring cash or credit cards and a copy of your schedule.  If you have not yet submitted your proof of immunization, please bring that with you as well (see questions regarding immunizations below).

If you’re a commuter student, bring your WCSU ID card to the events and get a taste of what Western is all about!

If you’re a resident student, remember to move in only at the appointed time as indicated in the email you received (or will receive).  Bring a print-out of your residence-hall check-in time which should be displayed in your car window.  Below is a short list of items you should bring. For more detailed information, check out the “What to Bring to Campus” pamphlet or refer to the Housing & Residence Life website.

  • Clothes for hot and cold weather
  • Toiletries
  • Bathroom Linens
  • Bedding (sheets for a regular-sized twin bed, comforter, pillow, pillow case, etc.)
  • Laundry supplies (detergent, dryer sheets, quarters, etc.  Laundry facilities work from your WestConnect account on your card, and save you money.  You may want to consider loading some cash on your ID card.)
  • Computer
  • Other essential items

Back to Top

Are my parents allowed to come to Welcome Week?
Yes, there will be activities for your parents on the first day of Welcome Week, August 25th such as the “Entering the Gates” and “Opening Ceremony” as well as afternoon workshops and tours of the campus. Your parents are invited to stay for dinner but would have to pay for that.

Back to Top

 Where can my parents and I stay if we are coming in from far away?
Here is a list of hotels that are only about 10-15 minutes away from our Midtown and Westside campuses:

Midtown campus:

Westside campus:

Back to Top

How do I get to WCSU for Welcome Week?

Directions and a map can be found here: http://www.wcsu.edu/campustour/.
Directions from the local airports can be found here: http://www.wcsu.edu/orientation/travel.asp

Back to Top

Where do I park for Welcome Week?

Student parking at the Midtown campus is available only in the parking garages.  Parking restrictions apply. Student parking at the Westside campus is in the assigned commuter and/or resident student lots.  Please consult the parking area chart for details.  Please check our website for directions at http://www.wcsu.edu/campustour/.
Students moving into the residence halls will have received an email with a half hour appointed time for move-in.  Cars need to be unloaded quickly and then have to be moved to one of the parking garages.

Back to Top

I am a transfer student.  Do I really need to attend Welcome Week?

Yes.  We encourage all students to attend not only to familiarize themselves with resources and services available at WCSU but also to get to know other students, form connections, and make friends by having a good time together.  If you have not already gotten your ID card and computer accounts, now is the time to do so considering you will need them for the start of the school year.

Back to Top

What if I am a part-time student?


Part-time students are invited and encouraged to attend Welcome Week.  Just like our full-time students you can learn something about Western and get to know other students in a fun and informative setting.  If you have not already had the time to do so, now is also the time to make sure you get registered, get your ID card, computer accounts, buy your books, etc.

Back to Top

What if I am an adult or non-traditional student?  Do I still need to attend Welcome Week?

Yes.  There will be a lot of information available during orientation that is important to all students

A special Orientation session for just adult learners will be provided on TBA in Warner Hall (room TBA).  To RSVP, please contact TBA at (203) 837-8564 or email TBA.

And again, now is the time to also register for classes, get your ID card, and also set up your computer accounts if you have not already done so.

Back to Top

What do I do if I need accommodations for my disability during Welcome Week?

If you have a disability and require special accommodations for Welcome Week or your classes, contact WCSU’s AccessAbility Services office at (203) 837-8225.  To find out more information you can go to their website: www.wcsu.edu/accessability.

Back to Top

Will I be able to purchase my books during Welcome Week?

Yes, there will be time during or after Welcome Week for students to purchase their books. Textbooks may be purchased with cash or check (valid Government issued ID required). Bring a printout of your class schedule. Credit cards will be accepted only if the cardholder is present. Follett gift cards will also be accepted for all purchases. If you put money into your WestConnect account, you can use your WestConnect card at the bookstore.  Books can also be ordered online from the WCSU Bookstore website and will be delivered directly to your residence hall on move-in day at no extra charge.  Some textbooks are also available for rental and in detail format.  See the WCSU bookstore website for additional information.

Back to Top

How do I find out about getting involved on campus?

You can visit our website, http://wcsu.edu/studentlife/clubsbridge/, to see what student organizations are already on campus or how to form your own club or organization.  During Welcome Week you can meet many of the student organizations at Club’s Carnival.

Back to Top

How do I get a parking decal/ID Card?

Parking decals are being discontinued effective July 1, 2016.  Students no longer need any stickers or decals.  However, parking locations are limited to the two parking garages on the Midtown campus, and the commuter lots and Centennial Parking garage on the Westside campus.

Back to Top

Where do I go to pay my bill or find out about Financial Aid?

The Cashier’s Office is located on the first floor of the Old Main Administration Building where you will be able to handle all billing inquiries or you may visit their web site at http://www.wcsu.edu/cashiers/.  Bills are due in full in mid-July for Fall, and mid-December for the Spring semester.

The Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment is also located on the first floor of the Old Main Administration Building where you can find answers to any of your financial aid concerns, or go to http://www.wcsu.edu/finaid/.

Back to Top

When can new students move into the residence halls?

New students who are registered as full-time (12 credits or more) will be eligible to move into their residence hall on Friday, August 25, the first day of Welcome Week.  Students who are not yet registered for 12 or more credits will need to see the Registrar prior to the move in date.  Please check your WCSU email for your specific half hour move-in time-slot (this email will be sent in early August).  Print that email and display the time prominently behind the windshield of your car.  For detailed information regarding the move-in process, please click here.

Back to Top

What type of meal plans are available and who can get them?

Please check the following website for more information: https://wcsu.sodexomyway.com/dining-plans/index.html

Back to Top

What do I do if I need special dietary accommodations?

If you have special dietary requirements, please contact the office of Student Affairs at 203-837-9700 to let them know what you need and special arrangements can be made through Food Services.

Back to Top

What computer facilities are available at Western?

Western offers a number of staffed facilities where you can receive assistance from our friendly student staff. We also have 24 hours computer labs available for student use. For a complete list of facilities and hours, please visit:            www.wcsu.edu/technology/students/pubfac.asp

Back to Top

How do I get a Western Windows account?

A Western Windows account is necessary for students to access the University’s network from the computer centers, classrooms, labs, residence halls, and wireless network. You will be able to get your account information during June orientation, Welcome Week, and any other time during the semester from the following staffed computer centers on campus: Midtown Computer Center (Haas Library), Westside Computer Center (WS 117), and the Student Technology Training Center (SC 225). http://www.wcsu.edu/technology/students/pubfac.asp

Back to Top

Should I get a Western email account?

Yes, all students are required to get a Western email account for official Western business. Once your account has been created, you will have access to your email from any computer on or off-campus that has access to the Internet by visiting https://student.wcsu.edu/login, or by logging into WestConnduit and clicking on the email link. You can obtain your Western email account credentials at any of our staffed computer centers on campus.  http://www.wcsu.edu/technology/students/email.asp

Back to Top

What is a WestConnduit account, and where can I get one?

WestConnduit is Western’s campus portal.  WestConnduit allows you to see your grades, course schedules, academic history and financial aid information, and allows you to register for classes and make payments to the university.  It also provides access to Blackboard Vista, Western’s online course management system, campus and personal announcements, the campus events calendar, and convenient links to other university resources.

You can obtain your WestConnduit credentials at any of the staffed computer centers on campus, or your can reset your password online at: https://webapp.wcsu.edu/winpwd/.

WestConnduit can be accessed by visiting www.wcsu.edu and clicking on the WestConnduit link.

Back to Top

Should I bring my own computer?

You do not need to bring your own computer. However, a laptop with wireless capability can be useful. In case you do not own a computer, Western has a number of computer facilities available for student use. Some are open as early as 8am, and close as late as 11pm. Some are open around the clock.

Back to Top

I want to purchase a computer to bring to Western. What should I buy?

Almost any new desktop or laptop computer purchased today from one of the leading computer manufacturers (IBM, Apple, Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc.) should be more than adequate for basic student use on campus. If your specific needs are more demanding (for example, if you use computer graphics development software, video capture, etc.), or for more information, please visit our computer recommendations page at: http://www.wcsu.edu/technology/recommended.asp

Back to Top

Is Western Wireless?

Western offers fast and reliable wireless network access to students, faculty, and staff with data connection speeds of up to 54Mbps in selected locations on the Westside and Midtown campuses. For locations and more information, visit http://www.wcsu.edu/technology/wireless. To use the wireless network, your laptop (or PDA, Pocket PC, tablet, etc.) must be equipped with a wireless network adapter. Western’s wireless network supports both 802.11b and 802.11g wireless standards and uses an SSID of “Western” for easy connection. You will be prompted to log in using your Windows account credentials.

Back to Top

How can I use my computer in the Residence Hall (ResNet)?

Any student who owns an Ethernet-ready computer can connect to our residence hall network using an Ethernet cable. Splitters and cables can be obtained at any of our staffed computer centers. Once connected, you will be required to log in using your Windows account credentials, install Clean Access, install a supported anti-virus program, and install critical Windows updates. For more information, please visit http://www.wcsu.edu/resnet.

Back to Top

I am not very computer savvy. Where can I get help?

The general computer centers, located in room 117 of the Westside Classroom Building and at Midtown on the first floor of the Haas Library, employ student lab assistants who can provide assistance based on their individual knowledge. However, students needing extensive help should visit the Student Technology Training Center (STTC) in room 225 of the Student Center on the Midtown campus. More information about the STTC can be found at: http://www.wcsu.edu/sttc.

Back to Top