All purchases must be in accordance with Connecticut Procurement Card Guidelines, CSCU and Western Connecticut State University Campus Policy.
Be sure to stay within your transaction limit as established for your card by the Purchasing Office. Do not split an order into more than one transaction as a way of circumventing the per purchase limit established for your card. Should a higher temporary limit be needed in support of an acquisition exceeding established limits, please contact the Purchasing Office for assistance.
Notify the vendor that the purchase is tax exempt and provide the WCSU Tax Exempt Number (06-0775515). The vendor may require you to provide a Tax-Exempt Certificate.
Confirm with the vendor a ship to location, through Central Receiving; make sure that your name, dept. and phone number appear on the package. The vendor will not have a P.O. # so the package should be clearly marked so that the receiving staff can deliver it to you.
You must obtain a receipt for every purchase. The receipt should have the vendor name, description of the item (s) purchased and the amount.
The cardholder is required to notify the vendor of any problems or discrepancies with an order and make arrangements for the return of the merchandise and/or credit to their account. JP Morgan Chase requires the cardholder to notify them about any such disputes by contacting the JP Morgan Chase dispute line at:
Do Not Use Your Card For:
- Personal Use
- ATM transactions
- Alcoholic beverages
- Cash advances
- Cash back on purchases/refunds
- Gasoline purchases
- Medical provider services
- Non-employee compensation (e.g. payment to consultants or guest speakers)
- Gift certificates, gifts for any occasion, greeting cards etc.
- Rents (e.g. lease on building space)
- Flowers, floral arrangements, or gift baskets to send to employees, students & their families.
Restricted purchases as defined in the Purchasing Card Manual.
- The following are examples of the types of items that may not be purchased with the P-Card:
- Air Conditioners/Space Heaters (except by Facilities Operations)
- Any item exceeding $4,999.99 unless an exception is granted by the Purchasing Office
- Alcoholic beverages
- Artwork (including pictures, posters, statues, etc.)
- Audio Visual or Photographic Equipment (except for Media Services, Publications or Student Education related activities)
- Birthday Cakes or office celebrations/parties
- Candy/snacks (except for authorized university concessions, student activity funded programming, and student programming). )
- Capital equipment or items funded with capital or bond funds.
- Carpet (except by Facilities Operations)
- Cash advances of any type
- Cellular Telephones (including pocket devices, such as a PC or Blackberry, etc.) (except as approved by IT&I and international travel purposes)
- Dry Cleaning/Laundry services (except by Theatre, Residence Life, and Police Departments)
- Employee entertainment and benefits (including tuition and gifts)
- Equipment (as defined in the Property Management Asset Valuation Manual)
- Extended lease and rental agreements
- Financial Instruments (ie; money order, bank draft)
- Flowers or gifts for condolences, congratulations etc. involving employees or their relatives
- Fines and Penalties
- Food/Meals (except for student and student activity funded programming, University sports teams, study abroad programs, and student sponsored off campus events.) (food and meals involving employees must be in accord with the WCSU refreshment policy)
- Fuel (including gasoline, diesel, propane etc.))
- Furniture and furnishes >than $4,999.99 (including tables, lamps, desks, chairs, etc.)
- Gifts/donations of any kind
- Gift cards except those related to student programming and student activity funded promotions and programs
- Greenery for office beautification
- Insurance (except for auto rental insurance on authorized travel)
- Information Technology hardware and software: (prior approval from IT&I Department required)
- Kitchen appliances (including coffee pots, microwaves, heaters, refrigerators, toasters etc.) (except by Facilities Operations and Residence Life Department)
- Office Food Supply Items (refer to WCSU Refreshment Policy) (including utensils, paper plates, cups, napkins, salt/pepper/sugar, coffee, tea etc.)
- Outdoor signage (except by Facilities Operations, Police Departments and temporary Event signage)
- Paint (except by Theatre Department and Facilities Operations Departments)
- Personal or decorative items
- Personal use items (pens/pencil sets, folios, attaches, etc.)
- Plants or shrubs (except by Facilities Operations)
- Precious metals
- Prescription drugs and controlled substances (with the exception of Health Services and Athletics Departments)
- Professional or Personal services of any type
- Purchase from a University employee or their immediate family (refer to state ethics policy)
- Radioactive materials
- Sporting Goods (except by Athletics and Recreation Departments and student activity funded programming)
- Sponsorship (except by Institutional Advancement)
- Telecommunications Equipment (except by IT&I)
- Temporary Help
- Tobacco Products
- Weapons (except as required by the University Police)
Exemptions or questions regarding restricted purchases may be granted on a case by case basis upon the approval of the Administrative Services Purchasing Department.
Information Technology & Innovation (IT&I)
Cardholders are to contact Information Technology & Innovation (IT&I) Services and obtain approval prior to purchasing any software or hardware to ensure compatibility with the WCSU system and CSUS policies. The only exception to this approval is the purchase of miscellaneous IT accessories such as keyboards, mice, cases, cables, and related items which are peripheral to approved devices. Information Technology & Innovation Services reserves the right to not support any hardware or connect it to the campus network if purchases are made without prior approval.
Cardholders are to contact Facilities Management prior to purchasing any item that may require electrical, plumbing, carpentry, painting or structural work. Facilities Management will ensure that the item being ordered is appropriate and will advise if additional work will be required.
Cardholders must verify their statements and confirm that billable charges or credits are posted to their card. Cardholders are responsible for securing a receipt for each acquisition made with the purchasing card. Note that as the P-Card program is a State of Connecticut based program administered by the University, users may be asked to justify and support any transaction made under the program.
Fund Manager Review and Signature on P- Card Statement
The cardholders fund manager must review the monthly card statement and receipts and sign and date the monthly statement before it is sent to the Purchasing Office. The monthly statement and receipts shall be forwarded to the Purchasing Office within (30) days of the close of the statement. The fund manager must ensure that all transactions were related to the official duties of the cardholder and department and were made in accordance with University and State of Connecticut Procurement Card Guidelines. The fund manager will ensure that the cardholder abides by security policies as well as applicable requirements related to certification/reconciliation and documentation of all P-card purchases.
Cardholders who fail to meet review and submittal deadlines and/or documentation requirements may have their cards suspended without further notice. The card will not be reinstated until all documents are received in the Purchasing Office.
- Don’t lend your Procurement Card or give the number to anyone. Know where your card is. Keep it in a secure place.
- Do not share any passwords related to your card or the the JP Morgan Smart Data On-Line System.
- Check to see that your budget account has sufficient funds to cover your purchases.
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately to JP Morgan Chase and your Program Administrator.
Key Contact Numbers
Mark Case, email@example.com, Director of Administrative Services at 837-8657.
Karen Muffatti, firstname.lastname@example.org, Purchasing Assistant at 837-8660.
JP Morgan Chase Customer Service Dispute Line
The Tax exempt form form is presented in Adobe Acrobat (pdf) format.