Western men's tennis falls at Bridgewater State, 5-4
DANBURY, CT (Apr. 2) —
The Bridgewater State University men’s tennis team opened Little East Conference (LEC) play with a 5-4 win over visiting Western Connecticut State University on Monday afternoon at the Rosen Memorial Tennis Courts.
Bridgewater improves to 5-1 (1-0 LEC) on the season while Western Connecticut slips to 1-2 (0-1 LEC).
The Bears led 2-1 after doubles play as freshman Wesley Esthimer (Franklin, Mass.) and junior Nicholas Desisto (Uxbridge, Mass.) posted an 8-4 win at the second flight, while freshman Sean Bleau (North Dighton, Mass.) and sophomore Jesse Gotlib (Dartmouth, Mass.) teamed for an 8-4 victory at number three.
Gotlib gave the hosts a 3-1 advantage with a 6-2, 6-1 straight set triumph at number four singles.
Western Connecticut seniors Troy Pandolfi (Danbury, Conn.) and Kyle Wilson (Naugatuck, Conn.) tied the match at 3-3 with straight set wins at the first and fifth flights, respectively.
BSU sophomore Cody Farrell (Scituate, Mass.) battled to a 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 victory at sixth singles to reclaim the lead for the Bears, and junior Michael Kofman (Chestnut Hill, Mass.) secured the deciding fifth point with a 6-2, 6-4 straight set win at the third flight.
WCSU sophomore Brian Bucknam (Woodbury, Conn.) rounded out the scoring with a tough three-set victory over Bleau at second singles, 7-5, 5-7, 10-8. Bucknam also paired up with Pandolfi for an 8-5 decision at first doubles.
In upcoming action, the Bears host Little East foe Rhode Island College on Saturday at noon. The Colonials entertain Salem State University in a conference match on Saturday afternoon at one.
Tennis Match Results
Apr 02, 2012 at Bridgewater, Mass.
(Rosen Memorial Tennis Courts)
Bridgewater State University 5, Western Connecticut State 4
1. Troy Pandolfi (WCSU) def. Wesley Esthimer (BSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Brian Bucknam (WCSU) def. Sean Bleau (BSU) 7-5, 5-7, 10-8
3. Michael Kofman (BSU) def. Ryan Klem (WCSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Jesse Gotlib (BSU) def. Sean Tansley (WCSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Kyle Wilson (WCSU) def. Colin Fontaine (BSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Cody Farrell (BSU) def. Enea Dervishi (WCSU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
1. Troy Pandolfi/Brian Bucknam (WCSU) def. Michael Kofman/Cody Farrell (BSU) 8-5
2. Wesley Esthimer/Nicholas Desisto (BSU) def. Ryan Klem/Kyle Wilson (WCSU) 8-4
3. Sean Bleau/Jesse Gotlib (BSU) def. Sean Tansley/Enea Dervishi (WCSU) 8-4
Western Connecticut State 1-2, 0-1 LEC
Bridgewater State University 5-1, 1-0 LEC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,1,5,6,3,2)