Western clinches berth in upcoming LEC Tournament with win over RIC
from the desks of Scott Gibbons and Matthew Lopes - RIC SID office
PROVIDENCE, RI (Apr. 25) —
The Rhode Island College men’s tennis team fell to Western Connecticut State, 9-0, on Senior Day at the RIC Tennis Courts on Wednesday afternoon in Little East Conference action.
The Colonials improve to 6-3 overall and 3-2 in the Little East, while the Anchormen fall to 1-13 overall and 0-5 in the LEC.
Despite a hard fought effort from RIC in each set, Western Connecticut jumped out to an early lead after sweeping all three doubles flights to open the match. Senior Troy Pandolfi (Danbury, CT) and senior Austin Werner (Fairfield, CT) teamed up at No. 1 doubles to top sophomore Alex Werchadlo (Woonsocket, RI) and freshman Anthony DeFrancesco (Branford, CT), 8-6, in a close bout. Sophomore Brian Bucknam (Woodbury, CT) and sophomore Ryan Klem (Newport, RI) knocked off senior Jason Morin (East Providence, RI) and freshman Sean Raudonaitis (Westport, MA), 8-4, in another close bout at No. 2 doubles. At No. 3 doubles, freshman Enea Dervishi (Waterbury, CT) and senior Kyle Wilson (Naugatuck, CT) edged sophomores Ted James (West Greenwich, RI) and Matt Collins (Rumford, RI), 8-6, to take the early lead.
Although the Colonials swept singles to complete the, 9-0, shutout of the Anchormen, RIC came close to stealing a couple of victories away from the visitors. After taking the opening set, Werchadlo narrowly fell to Pandolfi at No. 1 singles (2-6, 6-2, 1-0). Meanwhile, Morin, who was honored as the team’s lone senior prior to the match, nearly came up with the victory at No. 4 singles, but fell to Klem in close fashion (6-4, 7-6, (7-1).
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College closes out the regular season with a trip to Southern Maine for a Little East Conference match on Saturday, April 28 (1 p.m.).
Tennis Match Results
Western Connecticut vs Rhode Island College
Apr 25, 2012 at Providence, R.I.
(RIC Tennis Courts)
Western Connecticut 9, Rhode Island College 0
1. Troy Pandolfi (WCSU) def. Alex Werchadlo (RICMT) 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Austin Werner (WCSU) def. Anthony DeFrancesco (RICMT) 6-1, 6-2
3. Brian Bucknam (WCSU) def. Sean Raudonaitis (RICMT) 6-2, 6-0
4. Ryan Klem (WCSU) def. Jason Morin (RICMT) 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
5. Kyle Wilson (WCSU) def. Ariel Pezoa-Sir (RICMT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Enea Dervishi (WCSU) def. Ted James (RICMT) 6-0, 6-1
1. Troy Pandolfi/Austin Werner (WCSU) def. Alex Werchadlo/Anthony DeFrancesco (RICMT) 8-6
2. Brian Bucknam/Ryan Klem (WCSU) def. Sean Raudonaitis/Jason Morin (RICMT) 8-4
3. Kyle Wilson/Enea Dervishi (WCSU) def. Ted James/Matt Collins (RICMT) 8-6
Western Connecticut 6-3, 3-2 LEC
Rhode Island College 1-13, 0-5 LEC