Ready to join the Writing Center team?
The Writing Center seeks writing consultants for Fall 2018. Writing Center consultants work with students on all categories of writing assignments including research papers, essays, personal narratives, cover letters, resumes, and creative pieces. Consultants are expected to attend weekly meetings. New consultants must enroll in tutor education course. Additional duties may include locating helpful resources for students, participating in advertising events, and offering information to students about the campus. All work takes place in the Writing Center in Haas Library 302 (Midtown campus) during specific, scheduled hours.
- Current enrollment in a course of study (any major) at Western Connecticut State University;
- Junior standing or above by Fall 2018; junior preferred;
- Overall grade point average of 3.2 or higher;
- Completion of WRT 101 (or equivalent) and at least one Writing Intensive or W2 course with a grade of B+ or higher;
- Excellent writing skills, including a strong understanding of the rules of English grammar and mechanics;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and productively with peers;
- Demonstrated reliability, punctuality, and professionalism in situations of responsibility;
- Positive outlook on writing and academic work;
- Must be able to enroll in a 2-credit Tutor Education Course during the first semester of work.
Junior standing by Fall 2018
Previous experience as a tutor or peer mentor
Previous employment involving customer service
Hours and Salary
5 (minimum) to 12 hours per week. $12/hour.
Interested students should submit the following via email to Dr. Kelli Custer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are due by Monday, April 30, 2018
- A recent research-based writing paper/project from any course (with fully documented sources in any style)
- A cover letter addressing reasons for applying, qualifications, and experience with writing;
- A recent résumé with full contact information for a minimum of two WCSU faculty references
- All applicants are encourage to schedule an appointment in the Writing Center to review application materials. (wcsu.edu/writingcenter)
- Finalists will also complete an interview.