The Midtown campus, WestConn’s original campus, is located in downtown Danbury. The many recent renovations, additions and new buildings have transformed the Midtown campus into a modern college setting while retaining WestConn’s traditional character. The Midtown campus features:
• ALUMNI HALL - A 6,000-sq.-ft. building that houses a lecture hall, administrative offices and the WCSU Child Care Center.
• BERKSHIRE HALL, HIGGINS HALL and WHITE HALL - These classroom buildings house many specialized education facilities, such as the university Art Gallery, Ives Concert Hall, Berkshire Theatre, the Bill Williams Gymnasium, the Language Lab and The Learning Centers (math, writing, study skills).
• FAIRFIELD, LITCHFIELD and NEWBURY HALLS - These residence halls provide accessible accommodations for 600 students.
• Fifth Avenue Garage - This new 800-car, student parking garage is located on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Osborne Street.
• OLD MAIN - The original building of the Danbury State Normal School dating back to 1904, Old Main houses the Admissions Office for undergraduate students, the Division of Graduate Studies, and one-stop student services that includes the Financial Aid Office, Registrar’s Office, Cashier’s Office and the WestConnect Card Office.
• RUTH A. HAAS LIBRARY - The Haas Library has over 200,000 volumes and over 400,000 bound periodicals, microforms, government documents, music scores, electronic resources and audio-visual items.
• SCIENCE BUILDING - Opened in fall 2005, this award-winning building houses the university’s biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy and meteorology programs and science laboratories.
• STUDENT CENTER - The student center houses campus dining facilities, the university bookstore, post office, student government offices, campus ministries, meeting rooms, Echo Office (student newspaper), WXCI (the student FM radio station), Student Technology Training Center, Career Development Center, AccessAbility Services and the Counseling Center.
• UNIVERSITY HALL - A four-level office building that houses administrative offices.
• WARNER HALL - This 32,000-sq.-ft. building houses classrooms, meeting rooms, gallery/lounge and administrative and faculty offices.
• WHITE STREET PARKING GARAGE - This is a three-level, 900-car, accessible parking garage with a covered skywalk crossing White Street.
The 364-acre Westside campus features:
• ATHLETIC STADIUM - Facilities include a synthetic field surface, locker rooms, coaches’ offices, press box and concessions area. The Westside campus also has fully lighted intramural, baseball and softball fields.
• CENTENNIAL HALL & PARKING STRUCTURE - This 350-bed dormitory-style residence hall with parking garage complements the existing apartment-style residence halls at Westside.
• CLASSROOM BUILDING - The Westside Classroom Building houses undergraduate and graduate programs in business and many graduate programs in education. It features the Robert S. Young Library, many microcomputer labs, classrooms and faculty offices.
• ELLA GRASSO HALL - An apartment-style residence hall designed to house 260 students.
• PINNEY HALL - A 425 bed, apartment-style residence hall.
• THE CHARLES IVES CENTER FOR THE ARTS - A 40-acre outdoor amphitheater, the center is used for outdoor performances.
• WESTSIDE CAMPUS CENTER - This 49,000-sq.-ft. student center provides a full service dining facility, game/club room, cardio-fitness center, ballroom, meeting and conference rooms, student activity space, lounge areas and related campus-life and student-life facilities.
• WESTSIDE NATURE PRESERVE (WNP)- A 33-acre nature preserve, the WNP is an outdoor laboratory with maintained trails.
• WESTSIDE OBSERVATORY - Newly expanded and renovated, the observatory is outfitted with a 20” Ritchey Chretien Telescope, the largest of its kind in Connecticut.
• WILLIAM A. O’NEILL ATHLETIC AND CONVOCATION CENTER - The center contains a 4,000-seat arena, indoor tennis, basketball and volleyball courts, weight training facility, a swimming pool and the athletic department offices.
WestConn at Waterbury
Western Connecticut State University at Waterbury is located in Founders Hall on the Naugatuck Valley Community College campus, 750 Chase Parkway, Waterbury. In addition to offering bachelor degree-completion programs in nursing and management, WestConn at Waterbury offers selected general education and graduate classes. For more information on these programs, contact WestConn at the Waterbury Dean’s office, Founder’s Hall 129, (203) 596-8777.
Parking & Transportation
WestConn has designated parking areas for students, faculty and staff. Commuter student parking is available in a garage on Fifth Avenue and Osborne Street on the Midtown campus. All other surface lots are restricted for faculty and staff parking on the Midtown campus. The White Street garage is designated for Midtown residents, staff and faculty parking. Detailed parking information and maps of surface lots for both campuses are available on the Web site at www.wcsu.edu/parking.
Every student, faculty and staff member must display a valid parking permit when parking on university property. Parking permits are available from the WestConnect card office at Old Main, (203) 837-9311. In order to obtain a parking permit, a student must present a valid vehicle registration document from the state in which the vehicle is registered. Each student will be issued only one active parking permit at a time and may register only one primary vehicle at a time. For more information, visit the Web site at www.wcsu.edu/parking. Your first permit is free; however, there is a $10 charge for replacement permits.
Visitors to either campus should park in designated visitor lots and obtain a visitor permit from the WestConnect card office during normal business hours, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday-Friday. For more information, please visit the Web site at www.wcsu.edu/parking.
Vehicles that are improperly parked are subject to ticketing and towing at the owner’s expense. All parking areas are clearly identified by signs posted at the entrance to each lot. To avoid having your car towed from an authorized area, please read and obey the signs. All persons parking on state property are obligated to know and obey the university parking regulations which are available at the WestConnect card office, the university police department or on-line at the police department’s homepage, www.wcsu.edu/police. University parking regulations and Connecticut motor vehicle laws are subject to enforcement by the university police department and violation may result in the issuance of a state court summons or an arrest.
WestConn is a very active community for both vehicle and pedestrian traffic. Please use caution when traveling on campus. Pedestrians are asked to use the crosswalk or the covered skyway when crossing White Street. Accidents should be reported to the university police at (203) 837-9300; emergencies can be reported by dialing 911 from any on-campus phone. Calls for assistance with vehicle problems may also be made to the university police.
When classes are in session, the university offers a free shuttle bus service between the Westside and Midtown campuses. This service links the two campuses for curricular as well as co-curricular activities.
Arrival and departure times are listed in the Colonial Shuttle Schedule and Policy brochure which is available from the WestConnect Card Office, the Student Center, the Community Service Unit office in the Westside classroom building and the University Police Department. The schedule is also printed in the course registration booklets and is available on-line at the University Police Department’s homepage at www.wcsu.edu/police.
For more information please contact the University Police Department at (203) 837-9300 or the community services unit at (203) 837-9319.
Student ID Cards
Student IDs/Access & Security/Parking Permits
WestConnect Card Office, 013 Old Main
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Phone: (203) 837-9311
*Check web site for extended hours*
Student ID (WestConnect ID Card)
The university’s student identification card is required in order to:
–– Access university facilities
–– Enter 5th Ave Garage Parking
–– Attend events
–– Borrow library books
–– Use the 24-hour computer labs
–– Access shuttle bus service
–– Use meal plan
–– Make purchases with CONNect Cash
To Receive your WestConnect ID Card
Present a valid photo ID and a copy of your class schedule at the WestConnect Card Office.
Lost, Stolen or Vandalized ID Cards
Vandalized cards include cards that are broken, bent, chipped, cracked or damaged in some way. Cards that have been lost, stolen or vandalized will be replaced for a $15 fee charged to your student account.
Cards that are no longer functional due to wear and tear, data error or card malfunction will be replaced at no charge, if the current failed card is presented at the WestConnect Office.
Money placed in your WestConnect card account can be used at food service, laundry and bookstore locations. A minimum deposit of $20 can be made on-line or at the Cashier’s Office, first floor of Old Main. For more information, access www.wcsu.edu/westconnect.
Student Access to the 24-hour computer labs is obtained by registering a 4-digit Pin number with the WestConnect Card Office. Additional door access is granted by department chair approval only.
For more information on any of the above services, please call the WestConnect Card Office at (203)837-9311 or access our Web site at www.wcsu.edu/westconnect.
Childcare at WestConn
The WCSU Child Care Center, operated by Education Connection and accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children, offers childcare in its facility in Alumni Hall on the Midtown campus. The Center provides a developmentally appropriate early childhood program as well as a safe environment for children ages 3-5. Evening care for ages 3-12 is available but contingent upon sufficient enrollment. To register your child, or for further information, visit the Center or call (203) 837-8733.