Hometown: Hopewell Jct., N.Y.
WCSU Degree: Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry
Thomas Coyne received an Associate of Science in Computer Science degree from Dutchess Community College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. in 1994. He transferred those credits to WCSU and after eight years of part-time night classes, ... [read more...]
2010 Commencement Highlights
Nearly 1,000 students received undergraduate degrees as their friends, families and loved ones filled the Westside Athletic Complex stadium on Sunday, May 23, for WestConn’s 112th commencement. Musician and humanitarian Wyclef Jean spoke about “A Vision for the Future” and was awarded a Doctorate of Humane Letters, honoris causa. WCSU President James W. Schmotter also presented Jean with a check in the amount of $9,500 — funds raised on campus to support Jean’s charity, Yele Haiti.
At a separate graduate commencement ceremony on Friday, May 21, in the Feldman Arena of the William O’Neill Athletic and Convocation Center, 202 students received graduate degrees. A dozen educators also received doctoral degrees. Jennifer Smith Turner, CEO of Girl Scouts of Connecticut, was the commencement speaker.
As important as the actual degrees received are the feelings of accomplishment and satisfaction experienced by our graduates. Whether they enrolled at WestConn upon graduating from high school, after a stint at a community college or other university, or after decades in the workforce — every member of the Class of 2010 had something to celebrate at commencement.
To follow are highlights of commencement weekend, in images, video and narrative.
WCSU Commencement In the News
- Wyclef Jean's words of wisdom for young people
- Wyclef Jean receives honorary doctorate
- Wyclef gets honorary doctorate
- Wyclef Jean: Just Call Him Dr. Fugee
- Wyclef Jean awarded honorary doctorate from Western Connecticut State University
- A Vision for the Future
- Speaker hails WestConn graduates as "coolest class ever"
- Top ten ’10 commencement speakers
- WestConn grads go green
- WestConn holds graduations Friday and Sunday
- 2010 Graduate degree recipients (coming soon)
- 2010 Undergraduate degree recipients
Commencement Ceremony Speeches