Information Technology Committee (ITC) Minutes
March 11, 2010, 12:00pm-1:30pm, OM304
Present: Lorraine Capobianco (chair), Rich Montague, Mitch Wagener, William Joel, Todd McInerney, Veronica Kenausis, Rebecca Woodward, Dan Goble, Rona Gurkewitz
- The ITC discussed the progress of the Visual and Performing Arts building. Work on the building is projected to commence summer 2011 and the target completion date is summer 2013. Dan Goble suggested that Lorraine join the planning meetings to insure that technology from a functional perspective is addressed. University Computing (UC) is already involved with the infrastructure. The academic departments are meeting all day today with the design committee to discuss their respective space. At Dan’s suggestion, Lorraine spoke to Peter Visentin, Director of Planning and Engineering earlier today about attending today’s design/planning meetings. Peter will be taking the input from today’s meetings to incorporate into the plans. He thought it would be better to discuss with Lorraine the modified plans based on today’s meetings. ACTION ITEM: Lorraine will call a meeting with UC staff, Media Services and department representatives who have been meeting with the design committee, to discuss technology for the building from the functional perspective.
Intersession Projects and Other Projects – Update
- Lorraine reviewed the following lists of projects with the ITC. Because of the overwhelming number of projects, Lorraine asked the ITC members to review the lists for projects that are not included and should be listed. ACTION ITEM: Veronica Kenausis noted that the Haas Library printers have not been relocated to the MTCC and should be listed under “Intersession/Spring Projects In Process.” Completed, see below. University Computing is waiting for Mercury (outside contractor) to install data lines so the move can take place. ACTION ITEM: Rona Gurkewitz said the Computer Science Department server project needs to be added. Completed, see below.
Intersession Projects Completed
- Banner 8 Hardware and Software Upgrade (Blade Servers, NetApp SAN, Version 8.x Software)
- Select Survey upgrade
- Maple V13 – installed in all labs, math classrooms and math faculty machines; Maple V10 and V12 removed from all classrooms and labs
- Removed Visual Studio 2005 install Visual Studio 2008 in WS208, WS116, labs
- Removed MS Office 2003 except FrontPage 2003; install SharePoint Designer 2007.
- Remove FrontPage 2003 over the summer. University Computing will help people transition over to SharePoint. Users will be able to use both until July 1, 2010.
- HA012 Theatre Arts Multi-station Technology Classroom – tables, chairs, 16 iMacs
- WH219 – upgrade software, new tables, pianos and stands, and an audio controller
- SB244 – replaced 10 iMacs with new iMacs
- WestConnduit Portal Upgrade and uses Active Directory (no longer need Banner PIN)
- Chairs – replaced in multi-station technology classrooms where necessary
- Printer Inventory
- Help Desk software (Track-It!) upgrade to use Active Directory
- Music/Announcements when telephone call is put on-hold
- MS Software licensing sign out system for students
- Hire PC Maintenance Tech – Derek Ljongquist starts March 15th
- Replaced computers in Young Library
Intersession/Spring Projects In Process
- Banner Degree Audit (CAPP)/Online Catalogue/Program Sheets
- Online CUCAS Application & Enter AY0910 approved curriculum changes
- Replace the main Mac in the Ives Hall Sound Booth
- Install VMware Player 4 in WS103 and public areas
- Windows 7 research and implementation timeline
- SPSS 18 & PASW Statistics Pilot and implementation timeline
- Blog and Wiki software: WordPress Mu & MediaWiki implementation and training
- Implement IPEDS ethnicity regulation
- Implement “no blank grades to submit” option for final grades
- ForeFront anti-spam cloud Implementation (during spring break)
- Replace old G3 and G4 Macs with newer used Macs
- Set all printers to duplex
- Convert all web applications from using Banner PIN and use Windows credentials
- Replace older projectors (12 replaced, 5 pending, 40 ordered)
- Replace computers in Haas Library floors 2 through 5
- Implement Pharos with WestConnect Card in WSCC, CCCC, MTCC, STTC and other areas to better control printing
- Relocate reference printers in Haas to the MTCC
- Server project for Computer Science Department
Summer 2010 Projects (Partial Listing)
- Clean Access for students and wireless access – new platform/version
- Implement new federal regulation for text books by July 2010
- MIS Information Security classroom/lab
- Desktop video conference solution
- Replace all instructor stations at MT (86 PCs; 8 Macs); WS (25 PCs); Waterbury (5 PCs)
- Implement Webcheckout for Media Services and Library
- Purchase and implement iPod touches with required software for Nursing students
- Replacement Plan (need to prioritize the replacement of computers)
- Freshman Resource Center (10 PCs); Math Clinic (11 PCs); Writing Lab (12 PCs)
- SB244 (10 PCs)
- HA012 – Theatre Arts is requesting 12 additional iMacs for a total of 28 machines
- WS117a (30 PCs)
- WS212 (30 PCs)
- WS377b (28 PCs)
Open ACTION ITEMS from September, October, November and December meetings:
- Lorraine will order machines by the middle of January 2010.
- Lorraine will draft a memo to faculty on how budget reductions will impact technology for faculty and share it with the ITC.
- Lorraine asked Rebecca to document a procedure for the use of Magic DVD Ripper by Media Services.
- Mitch and Veronica agreed to test free bibliography software and EndNote and do a write-up with a recommendation. Testing is complete. Write-up in process.
Software Requests & Installations Update – As of 3/11/10
- An updated software status report was distributed to the ITC. The goal is to have all of the outstanding software installed the end of the semester. Lorraine asked the ITC technology chairs and Veronica to share the information with the schools/area for their feedback (e.g. missing requests, urgent requests, etc.) Rona Gurkewitz requested Maple V13 for WS103 instructor station. ACTION ITEM: Rona sent an email to Request University Computing on 3/29/10 for the installation of this software.
- Because of the overwhelming number of projects, UC will create a process with deadline dates for software installations. Lorraine suggested that April 10th be the deadline to submit classroom/lab software requests for use in the fall of the same year, and September 10th for spring of the following year. Of course, even with deadline dates, complexity of the software installation, impact at the university, and money available would also affect the semester the software would be available.
Desktop Funds and Machine Allocations
- Mitch Wagener asked when the balance of outstanding machine allocations will be done. Lorraine believes urgent/emergency installs are done. Lorraine asked the ITC members to let her know of emergency installs that arise so they are addressed. The first CSUS 2020 funded desktop order for PCs was placed. The order was approved by the System Office and submitted to DPW on March 2, 2010. DPW has 30 days to respond. Laptops, printers and Macs will be ordered next.
- Mitch asked if there would be more desktop funds made available, or are the current available balances firm. ACTION ITEM: Lorraine will look at the budget and she will advise the ITC technology chairs and Veronica at the next meeting.
Media Services Initiatives – Deferred to the April meeting.
ITC Meeting Schedule: April 8, 2010 and May 13, 2010, 12-1:30pm, OM304