Service-Learning Resources and Bibliography
- Astin, A. & Sax, L. (1998). How Undergraduates Are Affected by Service Participation. Journal of College Student Development, 39(3), 251-263.
- Astin, A., Sax, L., & Avalos, J. (1999). Long-Term Effects of Volunteerism During the Undergraduate Years. The Review of Higher Education, 22.2, 187-202. Retrieved April 2, 2005, from Fairfield University Muse
- Barber, B. and Battistoni, R., (1993). A Season of Service: Introducing Service Learning into the Liberal Arts Curriculum. Political Science and Politics, 26, 235-262.
- Boss, J. (1994). The Effect of Community Service Work on the Moral Development of College Ethics Students. Journal of Moral Education, 23(2) 183-198.
- Bringle, R. & Hatcher, J. (1996). Implementing Service Learning in Higher Education. Journal of Higher Education, 67(2), 221-239.
- Dewey, John. (1916). Democracy and Education. Toronto, Ontario: Collier-Macmillan Canada, Ltd.
- Campus Compact Profession Development Institute for Service Learning Professionals Conference Curriculum. Brown University, Providence, RI. July 24-29, 2006.
- Cohen, J. & Kinsey, D. (1994) ‘Doing Good’ and Scholarship: A Service-Learning Study. Journalism Educator, Winter, 4-14.
- Dewey, J. (1944). Experience and Education. New York: Touchstone.
- Ehrlich, T. (1996). Service-Learning in higher education, concepts and practices. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
- Eyler, J. & Giles, D. E. Jr., (1999). Where’s the Learning in Service-Learning. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Eyler, J., Giles, D. E. Jr., and Schmiede, A. (1996). A Practitioner’s Guide to Reflection in Service-Learning: Student Voices and Reflections. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University.
- Freire, P. (1970). Pedagogy of the Oppressed. New York: Continuum International Publishing Group, Inc.
- Gelmon, S., Holland, B., Driscoll, A., Spring, A., Seanna, K. (2001) Assessing Service-Learning and Civic Engagement: Principles and Techniques Providence, RI: Campus Compact.
- Howard, J. (1998). Academic Service-Learning, A Counternormative Pedagogy. In Rhoads, R. & Howard, J. (Eds.), Academic Service-Learning: A Pedagogy of Action and Reflection (pp. 21-30). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Howard, J. (2001). Service-Learning Course Design Workbook [special issue]. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning.
- Jacoby, B. (1996). Service-Learning in Today’s Higher Education. In Jacoby, B. (Ed.) Service-Learning in Higher Education: Concepts and Practices (pp. 3-25). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Kahne, J. and Westheimer, J. (1996). In the Service of What? The Politics of Service-Learning. Phi Delta Kappan, May, pp. 593-599.
- Kendall, J. et al. (1990). Combining Service and Learning: A Resource Book for Community and Public Service. Raleigh, North Carolina: National Society for Internships and Experiential Education.
- Kolb, D.A. (1984). Experiential Learning. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Kraft, R. (1996). Service Learning: An Introduction to Its Theory, Practice, and Effects. Education and Urban Society, Vol. 28(2), 131-159.
- Stanton, T., Giles, D., & Cruz, N. (1999). Service-Learning: a movement’s pioneers reflect on its origins, practice, and future. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.