Diversity Resources and Information
The purpose of this calendar is to address and support the diversity of all University employees. We recognize that by increasing our understanding of diverse cultures, traditions, values and beliefs we can enhance our relationships with one another, and become a culturally responsive environment for everyone to feel valued and respected.
University 2018 Diversity Calendar (DOC)
University 2019 Diversity Calendar (PDF)
How Dates Were Chosen
Due to the extensive number of cultural holidays, dates for this calendar were determined by the following five criteria:
- Will an employee be absent as a result of this day?
- Will an employee be disengaged as a result of this day? (e.g., hunger or a negative association with a particular day/date such as a day of remembrance of a tragic event)
- Will an employee not be able to participate in a work-related function as a result of this day? (e.g., Employees may not participate in Halloween or Valentine’s Day).
- Are there employees who may not participate in events that are scheduled on the day of an important religious day observed by certain communities?
- Does the day provide an opportunity for a teachable moment regarding ethnic or cultural diversity that might not otherwise be discussed, particularly those dates associated with a continued history of oppression, discrimination, or racism?
Work in Progress
We ask for your patience in the event that we have missed any important dates that meet the criteria. If you know of another date that meets the above criteria and should be included or if there is a date listed that does not meet the criteria and should not be included, please contact the Office of Diversity and Equity at (203) 837-8278. We welcome your input. If you know of additional resources, please let us know. Conversely, please inform us of any websites that we may have chosen to explain a particular day, which may be culturally insensitive
Best practices for using this calendar as a tool
- Celebrate heritage or history months or other cultural days with speakers, displays, and special foods.
- Keep these dates in mind when scheduling classes, work, deadlines, meetings, and events.
- Give consideration that a scheduled event might exclude individuals or unintentionally force them to participate in certain events.
Office of Intercultural Affairs
The Office of Intercultural Affairs coordinates programs, support services, and activities for various student clubs/associations that enhance the educational experience of a diverse student population.
Please contact Mr. Daryle Dennis, Assistant Dean by email dennisdat (203) 837-8549 for more information.
Multicultural/Minority Scholarships and Grants
Every year, the Office of Diversity and Equity updates the available information to everyone about the list of scholarships and grants available.
These websites are subject to change without our knowledge, so please report broken or non-functioning links to the University Office of Diversity and Equity at (203) 837-8278.
Lactation Rooms/Spaces on Midtown/West Side Campuses (more information coming soon)
WCSU has clean, private and comfortable space for nursing mothers. If the room(s) listed below are not convenient, The Office of Diversity and Equity will also work with students, employees and members of the WCSU community to find an alternative, appropriate space.
White Hall, 1st Floor Clerk Lounge (in progress)
To access the lactation space, please contact a member of the Office of Diversity and Equity either by phone at (203) 837-8444 or by email at email@example.com.
TBD (to be announced/updated on or after March 1, 2019)