Committee on Physical Working Conditions Bylaws
A. purpose of the committee is to investigate all aspects of the University’s physical environment which would affect the physical well being of the University community and make appropriate recommendations concerning the remediation of hazards.
II. Areas of Responsibilities
A. Health, Safety, and Security
In order to safeguard the health, safety, and security of all personnel, students, and the public, every effort shall be made to attain and maintain the standards prescribed by OSHA, NFPA, and local state, and federal regulations.
B. Professional Matters
Specific conditions to be examined by the committee shall include, but not be limited to: physical plant, classrooms, offices, ergonomic equipment, physical safety, and other conditions relating to the working situation on campus.
A. Identify and investigate hazardous conditions; prioritize the problems; obtain cost estimates; submit recommendations for resolution to appropriate administrative department(s).
B. The committee has the power to decide which issues brought before them may be beyond the scope of their Areas of Responsibility, and make referrals to the appropriate University committee or department chairperson/supervisor as needed.
IV. membership And Electorate
A. The committee shall consist of ten members (11 voting members) selected from the various University constituencies.
- Permanent appointment of the Director of Environmental and Facilities Services (nonvoting).
- Two (2) members of the non-teaching faculty to be selected by the non-teaching faculty, at least one of whom must be an administrative faculty member.
- Five (5) teaching faculty members, one member from each School and one member from the Librarians/Counselors/Coaches group, each elected from their respective school or group.
- Three (3) members selected by and from the classified personnel, to include representation from all three unions.
- One (1) student selected by SGA.
B. Term of Office
- Each group of members (teaching faculty, non-teaching faculty, and classified personnel) will have two-year terms of office. Each will divide the members on an alternating schedule; one-half will be elected in an even numbered year and one-half will be elected in an odd numbered year.
- The student selected by the SGA will have a one-year term of office.
V. Conduct of The Committee
- There shall be a regularly scheduled meeting once a month during the academic year, or on an as needed basis.
- Additional meetings may be called by the chairperson.
- A quorum shall consist of five members.
- No business shall be conducted in the absence of a quorum.
- Chairperson: to be elected by majority vote at the last meeting of the academic year for the subsequent year’s committee.
- Secretary: to be rotated through the committee membership.
C. Requests for Investigation
- Any individual or group in the various University constituencies may submit a written request for investigation of any unsatisfactory working condition, as outlined in Section II (Areas of Responsibility).
- The committee may itself originate requests for investigation.
- The committee, through its chairperson, may report directly to the appropriate on campus administrator with requests or recommendations for changes and improvements in working conditions, or for clarification and information of why such conditions exist.
- The committee shall submit an annual report to the University Senate at the end of the academic year.
- Minutes of all meetings shall be distributed to the members of the committee directly following each meeting. At the end of the academic year, all copies of the minutes will be forwarded to the Senate Archivist, along with the annual report.
F. Amendment of Bylaws
Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of members present at any regularly scheduled session with the approval of the University Senate and the President of the University.
September 16, 1985
Rev. Senate Approval: R-00-05-09
Admin. Approval: Oct. 23, 2000
Senate Approval: Feb. 21, 2007(R-07-02-10)
Admin. Approval: 5/4/07