Western Connecticut State University International Center
Article I – Name
The name of the organization shall be the Western Connecticut State University International Center (W.I.C.).
Article II – Purpose
Article III – Activities
B. Groups which shall associate with the W.I.C. need not be base (planning) units. If not, for the purposes of University administration, they shall be considered to be part of the W.I.C. and their bylaws shall be approved by the W.I.C. membership and the administration. Since they are not base units, they are not independently eligible to receive University resources.
C. Such groups (non-base units) in association with the W.I.C. may, if they so desire, remain autonomous, may retain their own governing boards, may carry out their own fund raising, and may expend such funds in the manner of their own choosing. Such funds shall be included in the annual report of the W.I.C. (Article V.5).
4. The W.I.C. shall seek to establish linkages and to cooperate with other institutions of higher learning, secondary schools and private groups for the purpose of better fostering the understanding of international affairs, cultures and problems.
5. The W.I.C. may publish from time-to-time a bulletin for distribution throughout the academic community to bring attention to matters in the international field.
6. The W.I.C. may sponsor, organize and conduct conferences, meetings, lectures, etc., on international affairs, cultures and problems.
7. The W.I.C. may promote international faculty and student exchange.
8. The WIC may raise funds to support its own activities, and to dispense to worthy recipients as permitted by Article II, para. 3. Fundraising may include the solicitation of grants, donations, and endowments in accordance with University policy and procedures.
Article IV – Membership And Terms Of Office
1. Membership Definitions
A. "Elected member": one for each of four schools; four at-large.
B. "Attending Member": representative of an affiliated group.
2. The W.I.C. shall be made up of the Center Coordinator, the Coordinator of International Services and the Committee of not less than one elected member from each of the four schools and four members elected at-large by all four schools, one attending member from Student Affairs appointed by the Dean of Student Affairs, and one student attending member.
3. The School of Arts and Sciences, Professional Studies, Business, and Visual and Performing Arts shall each have one teaching faculty members elected by and from that School for overlapping two-year terms on the Committee.
4. Four teaching faculty, elected at-large from all four schools will serve overlapping two-year terms.
5. Nominations for the at-large student member for a term of one academic year will be made and voted upon by W.I.C. members at the first meeting of each academic year.
6. The Center Coordinator shall be a faculty member appointed by the President of the University in consultation with the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs of the University for a term of two academic years.
7. A. For purposes of liaison and cooperation, autonomous organizations of the University involved in international affairs, cultures and problems will designate one of their members to become a voting member of the W.I.C. executive committee.
B. Likewise, the W.I.C. will designate one of its members to become a voting member on the board of that organization for purposes of liaison and cooperation.
8. As appropriate, the W.I.C. may invite persons from outside the University to take part in its deliberations on a non-voting basis.
Article V – Conduct Of Business
A. Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
B. Deans of each School
C. Coordinator of International Services
D. Members of the W.I.C.
E. Senate Archivist (2 copies)
4. The W.I.C. reports to the Deans of Arts and Sciences, Professional Studies, Ancell School of Business, and Visual & Performing Arts.
5. The W.I.C. will make annual reports to the Senate regarding funds raised and distribution of same as well as other activities about which it would like to make the University aware.
6. Amendments to these bylaws may be made by a two-thirds vote of the voting membership of the W.I.C.
Admin. Approval: April 8, 1988
Revised Senate Approval: R-03-02-03
Administrative Approval: 4/17/03
Revised Senate Approval: R-10-05-01
Admin. Approval: 3/2/12