How Do I Apply?
- Applicants are required to meet all current admissions criteria for teacher education programs as mandated by the State of Connecticut and the university (see Application Requirements).
- In order to meet the State requirements, the process begins with a review of the courses you have already completed.
- Complete the Transcript Evaluation Form.
- Order Official copies of all of your undergraduate and graduate transcripts along with a $75 Transcript Review to:
Dr. Kristy Zaleta, M.A.T. Coordinator
Western Connecticut State University
WestSide Classroom Building, Room 304
181 White Street
Danbury, CT 06810
- Make sure you designate that the official transcripts be sent to Dr. Kristy Zaleta, M.A.T. Program Coordinator, WestSide Classroom Building, room 304, at the university address above.
- To speed the process, you may send Dr. Zaleta student copies or electronically retrieved copies of all of your transcripts, but the university requires official copies to be on file. So be sure to order those.
Complete Any Required Prerequisites
- Some candidates will have prerequisites identified in the Transcript Review process to fulfill State certification requirements.
- These courses may be taken at the university prior to the start of a new cohort. Courses may be face-to-face, online, or hybrid (a blending of face-to-face and online).
- WestConn accepts rolling applications for the M.A.T.
- Complete the Graduate Application
- Graduate Application Form
- Obtain 3 References and have each Complete a Reference Form Reference Form
- Complete the M.A.T. Mini-portfolio
- $50 Application fee
- Complete the Health (Physical) form (Link Here to Physical form)
- Return all components of the application packet listed above by mail or in person to the Graduate Office, Old Main, room 206.
- Make sure you designate that all Praxis scores (as well as ACTFL and Millers Analogies, if required) and forms be sent to the Office of Graduate Studies, Old Main 101, at the university address above.
Schedule Praxis I and II
- After completing the Transcript Review Process schedule your Praxis I (or complete the waiver if qualified – see below) and the appropriate Praxis II for your content area. Spanish candidates should also schedule their ACTFL Oral and Written Proficiency Tests.
- Information for the Praxis tests may be obtained on the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) Website: http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/cwp/view.asp?a=2613&q=321256. (Note: The Spanish Praxis II test is a university requirement.)
- Praxis I Waiver: A combined SAT score of 1,000 with at least 400 on both the verbal and math sections respectively) or 1,100 if taken on or after April 1, 1995 with at least 450 on both the verbal and math sections respectively, depending on date of administration). Learn how to apply for the waiver here.
- After the Master of Arts in Teaching Application Review Committee meets prior to the start of a new cohort, qualified applicants will be invited to interview for a seat in the cohort.
- Completing the entry requirements outlined does not necessarily guarantee acceptance of the program.
- Complete Prerequisites if Required