HPX Challenge Tests
The Health Promotion and Exercise Sciences (HPX) Department is currently offering the HPX Challenge Test option for the following courses:
HPX 177 (Fitness for Life Lecture- 1 credit)
HPX 205 (Nutrition and Health- 2 credits)
HPX 160 (First Aid and Safety- 2 credits)
Any student with prior knowledge and skills in these content areas may take an HPX Challenge Test in place of a lecture course; upon successful completion of the HPX Challenge Test the student will receive university credit for course completion. The general procedures for taking an HPX Challenge Test are as follows:
- Students must complete an Application for Challenge Examination form and return it to the HPX office with their payment before taking the HPX Challenge Test. Applications to complete the exam must be received within 5 business days of the exam; applications received fewer than 5 days before the scheduled exam will be moved to the next exam session.
- Fees for the HPX Challenge Tests have been set at $200 per occurrence for WCSU full-time and part-time students; $250 per occurrence for non-matriculated students. There is an additional $100 fee for the HPX 160 Challenge Exam to cover certification fees associated with the American Red Cross. Payment can only be received by check. Checks should be made out to Western Connecticut State University.
- On the scheduled HPX Challenge Test dates, students will complete the exam in person. HPX Challenge Exams will be offered in the intersession and summer sessions only. Please check with the HPX Office for specific exam dates and times.
- Successful completion of the HPX Challenge Test is defined as achieving 75% or higher correct on the HPX Challenge Test. The exam is 100 multiple-choice questions.
- Matriculated students who pass the HPX Challenge Test will receive university credit for completion of the course. Successful completion of the HPX Challenge Test will be denoted as a grade of “X” on the student’s university transcript.
- Non-Matriculated students who pass the HPX Challenge Test will receive a Score Report; non-matriculated students will NOT be given a WCSU University transcript with university credit.
- Students will have one attempt at any individual HPX Challenge Test. If a student does not successfully complete the HPX Challenge Test, the lecture course will need to be taken in order to receive university credit.
- The HPX Challenge Test credit may not transfer to other institutions. The decision about transferability of this exam credit will be determined by the individual institutions.
- Successful completion of an HPX Challenge Test and resulting credit earned will NOT be applied towards the student’s current semester course load. The credit earned will not be applied towards full-time student status for the testing semester and therefore will not impact a student’s status for financial aid or athletic eligibility for the testing semester. The student will be able to use the HPX Challenge Test to count as credits towards the accumulated 24 credits needed for the academic year; therefore, the credit earned can be applied to make-up unsatisfactory academic progress.
Other important information related to specific HPX Challenge Tests:
HPX 177- Fitness for Life Lecture
- In order to fulfill the general education requirement/competency through Fitness for Life at WCSU, a student must successfully complete both the HPX 177 lecture course and a 1-credit HPX 177 physical activity course. Students receiving credit for the lecture course through the Challenge Test will be responsible for completing the physical activity course in order to fulfill the general education requirement/competency. The 1-credit physical activity course should be taken during the same semester as the HPX Challenge Test.
- A topical outline is available for the HPX 177 Fitness for Life Challenge Test. Please contact Emily Stevens (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a copy of the topical outline.
HPX 205- Nutrition and Health
- Until further notice, the HPX Challenge Test passing grade of “X“ will not fulfill a major requirement specifying that a student needs to earn a specific grade (C or better) in that major course.
HPX 160- First Aid and Safety
- Until further notice, the HPX Challenge Test passing grade of “X” will not fulfill a major requirement specifying that a student needs to earn a specific grade (C or better) in that major course.
- Students who have never been certified in First Aid and CPR CANNOT receive first-time certification from the American Red Cross by completing a Challenge Test. The HPX 160 Challenge Test option is available to those students who are currently certified in CPR and who desire recertification and course credit.