Windows Update for Windows XP
1. Visit the Microsoft Windows Update site or select "Windows Update" from the "Tools" menu in Internet Explorer. If you are asked to install a utility from Microsoft in order to continue, click "Yes". Once you have done all this, you will see the page below.
2. Click on "Express Install (Recommended)" to scan your computer for the required updates. You will see the page below while the scan is in progress.
3. When the scan completes, a page displaying all of the required updates will be shown.
5. Click the "Install" button to continue and install the updates.
6. Once the install has finished, reboot your computer to complete the process.
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ:
It is recommended that you perform the Windows Update process until there are no more updates to install-- this may take a few times and require one or more reboots of your computer.
As part of the Express Install, Windows XP Service Pack 2 will be installed on your computer. For a complete description of Service Pack 2 and the changes it makes to your computer, please visit Microsoft's Windows XP Service Pack 2 web site.