P- Card Quick Tips
All purchases must be in accordance with Connecticut Procurement Card Guidelines, CSU and Western Connecticut State University Campus Policy. All prices must be reasonable.
Do not split an order into more than one transaction to remain within your per transaction limit.
Be sure to stay within your per transaction limit. Standard limit is $$999.00 per transaction.
Identify yourself as a Connecticut State Employee. If we have never done business with this supplier please make sure to obtain a W9 and forward the W9 to purchasing for processing.
the vendor that the purchase is tax exempt and provide the WCSU Tax
Exempt Number (06-0775515). The vendor may require you to provide a
Make sure you provide the vendor with a ship to location, through Central Receiving, make sure that your name, dept. and phone number appear on the package. The vendor will not have a P.O. # so they should mark the package “Procurement Card,” (with no account number showing) so that the receiving staff can deliver it to you.
You must obtain a receipt for every purchase. The receipt should have the vendor name, description of the item (s) purchased and the amount.
The cardholder is required to notify the vendor of any problems or discrepancies with an order and make arrangements for the return of the merchandise and/or credit to their account. JP Morgan Chase requires the cardholder to notify them about any such disputes by contacting the JPMorgan dispute line at 1-888-297-0768
Do Not Use Your Card For:
- Personal Use
- ATM transactions
- Alcoholic beverages
- Cash advances
- Cash back on purchases/refunds
- Gasoline purchases
- Purchases of Memberships at Warehouse Clubs (such as BJ’s, Costco etc.)
- Medical provider services
- Non-employee compensation (e.g. payment to consultants or guest speakers)
- Gift certificates, gifts for any occasion, greeting cards etc.
- Rents (e.g. lease on building space)
- Do not purchase flowers, floral arrangements, or gift baskets to send to employees, students & their families.
- Do not make charitable donations, or political contributions.
- No Travel/entertainment industry transactions (e.g. airlines, hotels, car rentals, restaurant, dinner/sightseeing cruises, golf, Broadway shows, limos, taxis, airport shuttles, etc.) under any circumstance, for yourself, any staff member, guest speaker, or consultant.
- Do not hold any reservations with the card. (All travel is paid and/or reimbursed through the Travel Office.
IT/Information Technology & Innovation
Software and technology related equipment purchases made with the Procurement card fall under Campus Information Technology & Innovation guidelines. Authorization must be obtained from the Information Technology & Innovation Office for all IT related purchases such as software and IT hardware. Information Technology Services reserves the right to not support any hardware or connect it to the campus network if purchases are made without prior approval. This includes purchases made with a University P-Card.
Cardholders must verify their statements on WCSU each month that billable charges or credits are posted to their card. Cardholders who fail to certify will have their P-Card card suspended. Cardholders who do not comply will be required to attend additional training, in order to have their card reinstated.
Documentation Requirements Sample log for record keeping
Cardholders must go on the JP Morgan Chase website to access and printout their monthly statement. Cardholders must obtain a vendor receipt for each purchase. For the first six months cardholders are required to send their monthly statement with all receipts attached to the Procurement Office after they have completed their verification of charges. The P-Card is a Connecticut State program falling under WCSU and the Office of the State Comptroller audit guidelines, you may be asked to justify any transaction that is deemed to be out of the ordinary.
Fund Manager Review and Signature on P- Card Statement
The cardholder’s fund manager must review the monthly card statement and receipts and sign the P-Card statement before it is sent to Procurement. The fund manager must ensure that all transactions were for the official duties of the cardholder and were in accordance with the WCSU and State of Connecticut Procurement Card Guidelines. The fund manager will ensure that the cardholder abides by security policies as well as applicable requirements related to certification/reconciliation and documentation of all P-card purchases.
Cardholders who fail to meet the certification deadline and/or the documentation requirements will have their cards suspended without further notice. The card will not be reinstated until all documents are received in Procurement.
- Don’t lend your Procurement Card or give the number to anyone. Know where your card is. Keep it in a secure place.
- Do not share any passwords related to your card or the online certification.
- Check to see that your budget account has sufficient funds to cover your purchases.
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately to JP Morgan Chase and your Program Administrator.
Key Contact Numbers
email@example.com, Director of Administrative Services at 837-8657.
Esther Boriss, firstname.lastname@example.org, Associate Director of Administrative Services at 837-8758.
Karen Muffatti, email@example.com, Purchasing Assistant at 837-8660.
Chase Customer Service Dispute Line
The W9, Tax exempt form and sample log forms are presented in Adobe Acrobat (pdf) format. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, please download and install it from Adobe's web site.