Education

Success Story – Dr. Laura Main

Dissertation: Effect of Style Training on Future Problem Solving Performance

The EdD program with its focus on Instructional Leadership supported me in becoming a careful decision-maker.  The program afforded me the skills I needed to build a comprehensive academic program which is grounded in research when working as a founding administrator in charter schools in urban settings.  These skills have also supported me in using both data and research as I have worked to refine those programs to continuously improve student outcomes.  The program also allowed me to grow presentation skills, which has also been an extremely important skill set in my work as an instructional leader.

While participating in the program, I was pushed to think deeply and critically.  I learned a tremendous amount about learning styles, which I use in my work with teachers and teams.  Additionally, through the mentorship of the professors I interacted with both during my time in the program and afterwards, I was able to clarify my educational philosophies and hone my skills as a leader.

Participating in the program, in particular the dissertation process, gave me the confidence to persevere with intensity and passion, which also has been helpful to me in my professional journey.  In the end, I chose to complete the Ed.D. degree for myself and in doing so, I inspired my own children, who are now adults, to push themselves to pursue their academic goals.