Education : Undergraduate Education Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who can I contact if my advisor is not available?

    It is the responsibility of the student to contact his/her advisor. All advisors are available via email.

  • Can I meet with the chair of the department if my advisor is not available?

    If your advisor is not available due to a long sick leave, contact the dept. secretary, Mrs. Therese Richardson, at 203 837 8510

  • Can I meet with another advisor?

    If your advisor Is unavailable to answer your question(s), you may be referred to see another advisor.

  • May I change my advisor?

    Advisors can be changed based on individual circumstances. It is advisable to see the department secretary or the chairperson of the dept. to complete the required forms.

  • Who is my advisor?

    Your advisor is assigned to you when you are admitted as a first year student or when you first meet with the department chairperson as a transfer student. If you have forgotten your advisor's name, you may call the registrar at 203 837-9202 or look up your advisor in Banner.

  • Who can give me my PIN number/sign my registration card?

    A faculty member in the department of Education and Educational Psychology or the department chairperson.

  • Can I have classes pending and still apply for professional semester?

    This is not advisable due to the schedule constraints of the professional semester.

  • How many credits can I take before asking for an overload?

    Students are allowed 18 credits before requesting permission for an overload.

  • Do you have a special education program?

    WCSU currently has a special education program on the graduate level only.

  • Can I take a graduate class while being undergraduate?

    Undergraduates may not enroll in graduate education classes.

  • Can I take a class at another university?

    Yes. There is a permission form that you must complete from WestConn prior to taking the course. There is a limit to the number of credits that you can take from other universities.

  • Can I take a class without being a student there?

    It depends on the enrollment requirements at that university.

  • Do I have to apply as a non-matric in order to take a class?

    It depends on the enrollment requirements at that university.

  • What GPA do I need to continue in the Ed department?

    Students are required to have a cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher to enter and continue as an Education major. Candidates must attain a GPA of 3.0 by their senior year to enter the professional program.

  • How do we apply for a Residency placement for Elementary Education?

    During the fall of your junior year, you must contact Richard Leprine and complete forms requesting a placement for Residency.

  • How do we apply for a student teaching placement for Secondary Education?

    During the Professional Semester you must contact Dr. Jean Evans Dávila and complete forms requesting a placement for student teaching.