WCSU Covid-19 Information Fall 2021

Division of Student Affairs

Veterans Affairs

VA Education Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs provides education benefits to eligible servicemembers and Veterans.  Spouses and dependent children may also be eligible for education and training assistance.  To apply and manage the education and training benefits you’ve earned, please follow the steps below:


  • Step #1:  Visit U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs to apply and obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
  • Step #2:  Submit the Veterans Benefits Application with your COE so that we may certify your enrollment for benefits with the VA.  If you no longer have your COE, you may submit a Post 9/11 GI Bill® Statement of Benefits, found under the section ‘Your Account’ at U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.
  • Step #3:  Verify your school attendance monthly to ensure you receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA/BAH) and/or kicker payments uninterrupted:
    • Beneficiaries of Chapter 30 and 1606 must verify their school attendance monthly by either calling (877) 823-2378 or by signing into the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) portal.
    • On or after December 18, 2021, beneficiaries of Chapter 33 must verify their school attendance monthly by either calling (888) 442-4551 or by signing up for text message verification with the Department of Veteran Affairs.  NOTE:  Students who do not have a US mobile phone number on file with the VA will not be able to use text verification.  They will be automatically enrolled into email verification.

*Students looking to obtain the status of their application or benefits should contact the VA Education Call Center at (888) 442-4551. 


Additional information on each VA educational benefit program can be found below:


VA Educational Benefits and Repeated Courses:  Repeating courses completed in a previous semester or accepted and applied as transfer credits may affect eligibility for receipt of educational benefits. Students who are receiving VA educational benefits will only receive payment for repeated courses if the initial grade did not meet institutional or programmatic requirements, whichever is more stringent.  A student may retake a course to obtain a higher grade as outlined in the Course Grade Replacement Policy, however, benefits will not be paid if the initial course received a passing grade. Students who wish to obtain information on how repeat courses may affect their VA educational benefits should contact the School Certifying Official.


Satisfactory Academic Progress for VA Students:  U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) regulations require that all students receiving VA educational benefits meet the University’s satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standard and the University’s academic standing policy as stated in the University catalog.  Students who are dismissed will be reported to the VA and subsequent enrollments will not be reported to the VA until the student is reinstated or re-admitted to matriculated status. The enrollment of students who appeal their academic dismissal and who are allowed to attend in a non-matriculated status during the appeal process will not be reported to the VA. Should the appeal be successful, the student’s enrollment will be reported retroactively to the VA for the enrollment period to which the appeal applies.


VA Pending Payment Compliance:  In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA.  This school will not:

  • Prevent the students enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students will be required to:

  • Provide Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility (or its’ equivalent) or for Chapter 31, VA VR&E’s contract with the school on VA Form 28-1905 (or its’ equivalent) by the first day of class.
    • Note:  Chapter 33 students can register at the VA Regional Office to use E-Benefits to get the equivalent of a Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility.  Chapter 31 students cannot get a completed VA Form 28-1905 (or any equivalent) before the VA VR&E case manager issues it to the school.
  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies.