This page of the WCSU Institutional Review Board (IRB) contains links for all materials and instructions necessary to submit an IRB proposal.
If you find yourself wondering, “Do I need IRB approval for this?” then the answer is YES.
Luckily, a complete proposal includes only two main components:
- Complete/Signed Proposal Form for either: Exempt Review Research or Expedited or Full Review Research
- Actual signatures needed for all researchers involved; it’s easiest to paste image files of sig. into the .doc file. Typed signatures aren’t acceptable. Students and anyone unaffiliated with WCSU must have the signature of their “WCSU sponsor” (e.g., professor or affiliate) to be considered for review.
- Respond in detail to embedded questions for each box on the proposal forms. Provide supporting documentation in appendices (e.g., paste consent forms, surveys, etc. to the end of the proposal form), and
- CITI (see Main Tab at left) or equiv. Human Subjects training.
- No need to submit CITI certificates with proposals; we can see completed training online.
All WCSU IRB proposal documents must be submitted electronically as one (.doc or .docx files ONLY) file attachment to IRB@wcsu.edu. Proposals missing doc’s/signatures or not emailed as ONE .doc file will not be reviewed.
IRB approval must be obtained before beginning human subjects data collection. For truly Exempt or Expedited proposals, plan at least 2 weeks processing time during regular semesters.
Submission deadlines for Full Review proposals are – without exception – the first of the month in which we meet. Full proposals submitted after the 1st will be considered at the next monthly meeting.
WCSU IRB meets only during Fall & Spring semesters. Outside these times, responses to email inquiries will take ≥ month. All research proposed for Intersession or Summer must be received/processed in advance (e.g., semester prior).
Meetings occur as needed on Wednesdays in Student Center Room 228, typically beginning at 8:30am.
- September 12, 2018
- October 10, 2018
- November 14, 2018
- December 12, 2018
- February 13, 2019
- March 6, 2019
- April 10, 2019
- May 15, 2019
Quality applications are essential, as they directly affect the integrity of the research process.
It is not the role of the IRB to comment on design or to determine or improve the quality of research protocols except insomuch as those methods affect the well-being, rights, and/or protections of those involved. As such, it is the role of the researchers involved, particularly as representatives of WCSU, to
- educate themselves regarding basic human-participants research procedures,
- submit complete proposals, with all necessary documents, and
- submit proposals devoid of grammatical and typological errors (particularly on documents for participants).
Proposals failing to adhere to these standards may not be reviewed.
WCSU’s IRB approval indicates that the proposed study maximizes protection of human participants. IRB approval does not indicate a particular study’s WCSU endorsement.
IRB questions may be directed to the Chair of the WCSU IRB, Dr. Jessica Eckstein (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).