International Student Application Instructions
Western Connecticut State University welcomes applications from international students who reside outside of the United States. Please read the information below carefully.
How to apply:
Applications are due by MARCH 1 to enter in the Fall Semester and OCTOBER 1 to enter in the Spring Semester. Late applications will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
International students who are already studying in the US should apply as transfer students. Graduate students should follow the instructions for graduate admissions. To apply, you will need to submit the following documents: (click here for printable PDF checklist)
- Online application
- Medical forms
- Personal Essay explaining your reasons for seeking admission OR on a topic of your choice
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from teachers or employers – OPTIONAL
- Official Test Scores. All applicants, including those from English-speaking countries, must show proof of proficiency in English by taking one of the following tests. We recommend that native English speakers take the SAT or ACT and non-native speakers take the TOEFL or IELTS. The accepted tests and the required minimum scores are as follows:
- High School and University Diplomas and Transcripts with Foreign Credit Evaluation Students must submit their high school diploma, high school transcript, and university transcript (if the student has prior college coursework). If you attended high school or college outside of the U.S, your documents MUST be evaluated by one of the following agencies. Students with no prior college coursework may submit a document by document evaluation. Students who have taken university courses must submit a course by course transcript evaluation of all courses taken abroad.
- Affidavit of Support (Download the 2019-2020 form) Students must show proof of adequate financial support to pay for their tuition and living expenses while in the U.S. Applicants should have the affidavit form signed by a bank representative in their country and must submit ORIGINAL bank statements, dated no more than 6 months before their anticipated start date, showing the required amount of support.
- $50 Non-Refundable Application Fee The fee can paid by Check or Money Order in US Dollars and sent to Office of University Admissions Western Connecticut State University 181 White Street Danbury, CT 06810 Applicants may also pay by credit card by submitting a credit card authorization form. DO NOT SEND CASH.
- ACCEPTED STUDENTS ALREADY IN THE U.S. (TRANSFER STUDENTS):
If you already have valid F-1 student status by being enrolled at another school, college or university in the United States, you will have to complete a required Transfer Verification Form. Once this is done and you confirm this with our International Services Coordinator, the international student advisor at your current school will need to release your SEVIS record to WCSU. Your new WCSU I-20, endorsed for pending transfer, is mailed to you as soon as the release date for your SEVIS record (as determined by your previous school) is reached. Once you are enrolled at WCSU and we have confirmed your registration, the transfer process will be completed. If you are in initial F-1 status, a new I-20 will be issued to you. You must report to the International Services Office within 15 days of your arrival.
What to do once you’re accepted
If you have recently been accepted, click here for info on obtaining your student visa.
If you still have questions about the admissions process that were not answered on this page, feel free to email our International Admissions Counselor, Kaleigh Cragan at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also download free brochures or request information.