Freshman Applicant Requirements for Admission
Western Connecticut State University requires that candidates for admission have a high school diploma from an accredited secondary school or an equivalency diploma. General Educational Development (GED) scores must be converted into a State of Connecticut Equivalency Diploma.
The following guidelines must also be met:
- Rank in Class (top one-third guideline)
- B average in the following:
- 4 years of English
- 3 years math
- 2 years social sciences, including US History
- 2 years of laboratory sciences
- 2 to 3 years of foreign language (recommended)
- SAT (1080 guideline), ACT (21 composite)
WCSU is a test optional institution; see below for additional information on applying as a test optional student.
*The Department of Nursing may have higher requirements.
*Applicants to the Department of Music are required to audition. For more information visit: https://www.wcsu.edu/music/audition/
*Applicants to the Musical Theatre program are required to submit a pre-screen audition in order to considered for an in-person audition. For more information visit: https://www.wcsu.edu/theatrearts/musical-theatre/
To be considered for admission, first year applicants must submit the following:
- A completed signed application form
- A $50 non-refundable application fee
- SAT I or ACT test scores (or placement exam scores)
- Official high school transcript or equivalency diploma
- A personal essay (open topic)
- Optional: letters of recommendation and/or interview with a counselor
SAT/ACT Optional Admissions Criteria:
SAT/ACT optional applicants must apply by March 1
Students applying without SAT/ACT scores must meet the following guidelines:
- Minimum GPA of B or 3.0
- Rank in class (Top 35% of class)
Students applying without SAT/ACT scores must submit the following:
- Official high school transcript
- First quarter senior year grades
- Resume of activities and/or two letters of recommendation
*Students applying to the Department of Nursing MUST submit SAT/ACT scores for consideration.
For those applying for the fall semester, notification of admission begins on December 1 and continues on a rolling basis. A reply to our offer of admission must be received by May 1. Rolling admissions for the spring semester begins on October 1. Note that although most freshmen enter Western Connecticut State University in the fall, roughly 10% enter in other semesters.