Fact: No, they don’t. Seventy two percent of Western students have five or fewer drinks per week and 33% didn't drink at all the previous week. About 18 percent drink excessively. Don’t follow what you think the crowd is doing. Set your own goals and don't let any substance get in your way.
What is CHOICES?
CHOICES stands for Cultivating Healthy Opportunities In College Environments. We are the alcohol and substance abuse prevention program at Western.
We believe that all students want to succeed academically and fulfill their potential during the college years. When substance abuse gets in the way, it can seriously derail those dreams.
Our goals are:
- Provide confidential assessment and counseling for students experiencing problems with any substance use/abuse
- Provide resources, information and services that will help students make informed and responsible decisions about the use of alcohol and/or drugs
- Educate students about healthy lifestyle alternatives
How CHOICES Can Help You
- We conduct individual screenings and assessments for students on a voluntary or referral basis
- Provide confidential counseling for anyone concerned about their substance use
- We refer students to counseling and support services on and off campu
- We help any student who is concerned about someone else’s use/abuse by advising ways they can make a difference
- We run support groups for students who are trying to make positive changes in their lives
- Collaborate with students, staff and faculty to facilitate fun and interactive health related programs for residence halls, athletes, Greek members, clubs and in classrooms
Additional Services CHOICES Offers
- Peer Education program
- Classroom presentations
- On-campus lending library of relevant books and materials
- Community Service Opportunities
- Support Groups
For More Information
Email firstname.lastname@example.org, visit Midtown Student Center, Room 211, or call (203) 837-8898