Program Description and Objectives:
This initiative is designed to promote, foster and acknowledge diverse student leadership and inspire student leaders to motivate and influence others on campus and beyond. The program meets the university’s mission by helping to further provide students with
- strong skills in communication, problem solving, and critical thinking
- opportunities for field experiences in leadership
- a strong sense of commitment to public service
The HSLP program enhances students’ basic understanding of the skills necessary to be effective leaders. Some of these skills include demonstrating civility and good ethics, communicating effectively, showing compassion, and inspiring team work and community building. Students are also guided through the process of creative problem solving, setting goals, successfully managing conflicts, developing financial awareness required for the management of budgets, and developing their own resiliency, adaptability, transparency, and accountability. The ultimate goal is to help develop a core of future leaders.
The HSLP Program provides students with a monetary award of $1500 and a highly placed leadership shadowing field experience with community leaders in either the fall or spring semester.
- WCSU full-time undergraduates with leadership experience or a strong interest in leadership
- WCSU full-time undergraduates with a 3.0 GPA or higher
- WCSU full-time undergraduates with a minimum of 45 and a maximum of 100 credits
- WCSU full-time undergraduates who submit application materials by Friday, October 7, 2022 ,by 5 p.m., to Dr. D.L. Stephenson via email @ email@example.com