The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) becomes available on October 1. To be considered for financial aid, you must have a processed and valid FAFSA on file with the Office of Financial Aid & Student Employment by March 1. It is recommended that you submit your FAFSA as early as possible in order to meet the deadline. Be advised that it takes 3-5 business days for your FAFSA to be processed and received by WCSU.
If your application is selected for Verification or additional information is requested, be sure to submit documents by April 1.
Applications received after the deadline(s) are considered based on available funding.
How to Apply
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at studentaid.gov using Western’s federal school code: 001380
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool available on FAFSA to ensure accurate and timely processing of your financial aid application.
- 2019 income information should be used to complete your 2021-2022 FAFSA.
- Any discrepancies in income information between award years may result in adjustments to prior awards and, in some cases, a balance due to the Cashier’s Office.
Next Steps: Verification
- Additional information may be requested of you if selected for a process called Verification by the U.S. Department of Education. If you are selected, you will receive an introductory email from Inceptia to the email address you provided on your FAFSA.
- If not previously used, you may be asked to update your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the application.
- Students whose FAFSA application was not selected for verification, but may require additional information to proceed with processing, may receive information directly from email@example.com.
- Please do not submit additional documents unless they are requested.
- The Verification deadline is April 1.
Financial Aid Award Offer
Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress and be enrolled at least half-time for the subsequent term.
Continuing students are awarded in mid-June — after all spring grades are posted and Academic Progress is run.
- Award notifications are sent to your WCSU email account.
- Follow the instructions provided to accept or decline your financial aid offer.
- Financial aid offers are made based on the availability of funding at the time of packaging.
- Should you accept any portion of a federal student loan, you will be required to complete additional requirements, if not already completed.
- Make note of specific award messages.
Additional Financing Options
Federal Direct Student Loans are automatically offered to students at the maximum eligibility amounts. If there are additional financing needs, the following options are available:
- Parent PLUS Loans are available to parents of dependent students; applications typically become available after May 1. A valid FAFSA for the student must be on file.
- Payment Plans are available through our Cashier’s Office.
- Private Educational Loans are also available. A listing of private loans and lenders can be accessed at elmselect.com.
NOTE: Any aid awarded to a student is contingent upon WCSU receiving federal and/or state funds.
Student awards may be adjusted with the receipt of new financial information during the academic year, or in accordance with the student’s enrollment status as of the university’s census date (enrollment freeze date). Financial aid is awarded to matriculated students who are registered at least half-time (6 credit hours). For more information concerning the above process or any related questions, please call our office at 203-837-8580.