Financial Aid

Student Employment – Campus Job Opportunities

Job Posts for 2024-2025 have begun!


Employment opportunities will be posted as they are received.  Check back for job posts and/or inquire directly with departments.

Federal Work Study is awarded based on demonstrated financial need and availability of limited funding as part of an eligible student’s financial aid package. To verify a work study award, check your financial aid package in BannerWeb or call our office at 203-837-8580. Federal work study can only be earned during the regular academic year, fall/spring. 

Summer employment eligibility: current students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits for the subsequent fall term. New (incoming) students may begin working after July 1 and must be enrolled in at least 6 credits for the subsequent fall term.


Quick Reference: Student Employment (pdf)                                  Quick Reference: Federal Work Study (pdf)



2024-2025 Academic Year

(check back often as positions are added as they are received)


Federal Work Study Only = Must have a work study award as part of your financial aid offer to apply


Job TitleDepartmentLocationPayroll Type
Composition Embedded TutorsWriting CenterHaas Library, Midtown CampusAll Students May Apply
Writing ConsultantsWriting CenterHaas Library, Midtown CampusAll Students May Apply
OFF CAMPUS: Tutors & Youth Program AssistantsOFF-CAMPUS: Harambee CenterOff-Campus: Danbury, CTFederal Work Study Only
OFF-CAMPUS: Events & Marketing AssistantOFF-CAMPUS: Edmond Town HallOff-Campus: Newtown, CTFederal Work Study Only
OFF-CAMPUS: Program AssistantOff-Campus: CVH Animal SanctuaryOff-Campus: Newtown, CTFederal Work Study Only
Human Resources InternHuman ResourcesUniversity Hall, Midtown CampusAll Students May Apply
Orientation LeadersCenter for Student InvolvementStudent Center 227, Midtown CampusAll Students May Apply
Campus Events Staff (Multiple)Event and Conference ManagementMidtown & Westside CampusesAll Students May Apply




All student employees must be matriculated in at least 6 credits per semester to remain eligible to work on campus during the regular academic year (fall/spring).

NOTE: To be eligible for Summer employment, students are not required to be enrolled for summer courses, but must be enrolled in at least 6 credits in the subsequent fall term.


Student employment is an integral part of the university and of university life for many students. Student labor benefits the school in almost every academic and administrative department on campus. The student’s employment can be related to his/her major and/or interests and work schedules can be arranged around the student’s academic schedule.

Western Connecticut State University employs approximately 800 students during the academic year. The types of jobs available are as diverse as the students themselves. There is a complete list of jobs and their descriptions available for students to examine in the Office of Student Financial Services.

Students are paid biweekly with an hourly rate of pay contingent on the difficulty of the position and the experience of the student. The first paycheck is held back for two weeks, as required by the state.

There are two major funding sources for the student labor force at Western Connecticut State University:

  • The Federal Work Study Program
  • The Institutional Payroll

The Federal Work Study Program is a federally funded program based on financial need. Because the program is financially need based, work experience is not the qualifying factor. In order to work under the Federal College Work Study Program, a student must have financial need, as determined by FAFSA. Work Study funding is limited.

The dollar amount awarded under the Work Study Program to a student on his/her Financial Aid Offer, is not a guaranteed receivable. It is a fair estimate of what a student could earn.

Work Study is an allotment that students can earn if they have a job on campus. It is not money that is directly deferred on their bill, or automatically applied while they are working.

If a student does not put in the necessary hours or is released from employment for just cause, the money shown on the Financial Aid Offer will not be obtained.

The Department Payroll is not based on a students financial need in relation to qualifying under the federal programs. Students are employed under this program based on the needs of the department, the availability of funds, and the student’s experience in specific areas.

All federal and state funds are subject to federal and state regulations and Western Connecticut State University will comply as mandated.


Federal Tax Information

Any funds received from scholarships, benefits, fellowships, WCSU or any other source that combined exceed the cost of tuition, fees, books, required equipment and supplies are considered taxable income. These include federal Pell Grants, but not federal loans. The borrower is required to report taxable awards to the IRS as income and therefore should keep a detailed record of all expenditures. Housing and food are considered nonexempt, so money spent on these items is subject to income tax.


Please note that International Students in F-1 status can work on-campus 20 hours a week when school is in session and 40 hours during vacation (summer and winter break).





Updated 04/22/2024