This page contains links for all materials/instructions necessary to submit an IRB proposal to WCSU’s Institutional Review Board (IRB).
If you’re wondering Do I need IRB approval for this?, the answer is YES.
Luckily, a complete proposal includes only TWO main components:
- Completed Proposal Form (click to link)
- Respond in detail to all listed questions & provide support materials as appendices (e.g., paste in consent forms, surveys, CFPs)
- Paste in actual (typed names not accepted) signature images for all researchers involved/listed in proposal. Students & anyone not WCSU-affiliated must get include “WCSU sponsor” (e.g., professor or affiliate) to be considered for review.
- CITI Human Subjects training (or equivalent)
- Attach only certifications not completed via WCSU’s (listed in CITI as “Western CT State University”) CITI program.
All proposals/appendices must be received as ONE complete file (.doc or .docx files ONLY) attachment emailed to IRB@wcsu.edu. Incomplete or incorrectly submitted proposals (e.g., missing docs/sigs, not emailed as ONE “.doc type” file) will not be reviewed.
WCSU IRB approval must be obtained before beginning human subjects sampling or data collection by, with, or on anyone affiliated with WCSU. Most reviews take ~2 weeks during regular semesters. The deadline for proposals needing Full Review is – without exception – the first of the month in which we meet. Full proposals submitted after 1st are considered at next monthly meeting.
WCSU IRB reviews proposals only during regular Fall & Spring semesters. Outside these times, email responses will take ≥ month. All research proposed outside regular semesters must be received/processed in advance in the semester prior. For Summers, May 15th is the last date Exempt/Expedited proposals are reviewed (still May 1st deadline for Full Reviews).
AY 2022-23 Meetings
Until further notice, regular semester meetings occur remotely. Proposals needing committee review are still due the 1st of that month. If you have a proposal for review, you’ll be contacted after we meet.
- September 2022
- October 2022
- November 2022
- December 2022
- February 2023
- March 2023
- April 2023
- May 2023
Direct IRB-related questions during regular semesters to the WCSU IRB Chair, Dr. Jessica Eckstein, at firstname.lastname@example.org.