Success Stories

Michelle Young takes her nursing career to its highest level by pursuing a WCSU DNP degree

Michelle Young, M.S.N. APRN-BC

Michelle Young, M.S.N. APRN-BC

Michelle Young, M.S.N. APRN-BC, did not begin her nursing education at Western Connecticut State University, but she will complete it this summer when she receives her Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) — the terminal degree in her field — from WCSU. Young, who grew up in Morris, Connecticut, obtained a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Fairfield University before embarking on her nursing career at Danbury Hospital. Looking to advance her opportunities as a Nurse Practitioner (NP), Young enrolled in WCSU’s Master of Science in Nursing program while still working at what is now Nuvance Health, and received her Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner degree in 2015.

“My nursing studies at WCSU began because I wanted the career advancement by becoming a Nurse Practitioner,” Young said. “WCSU was local, convenient and reasonably inexpensive. I graduated in December 2015 and took my certification exam in February 2016.”

With her NP degree and licensure in-hand, Young left the hospital setting and began to work at a private medical practice, followed by a primary care group. Then, it came to her attention that the Student Health Services Office at WCSU was in need of a new director.

“During my master’s degree studies at WCSU, I did a clinical rotation with Nancy Haensch, who was the A.P.R.N. at WCSU’s Student Health Services Office at the time,” Young said. “I really loved working with the student population at WCSU — so I was very excited when the job opening posted, and I applied.”

Young soon found herself back on campus as the new director of WCSU’s Health Center in September 2021. Not long after, the physical location of Health Services moved from a small space adjacent to Litchfield Hall to a new Wellness Suite shared with Counseling Services and other student-facing services in Newbury Hall.

Under the guidance of Dr. Julie Perrelli, Interim Dean of Student Success and Engagement, Young, among others, are working together to foster a culture of wellbeing on campus. “We’re trying to improve the wellbeing on campus and educate students on how to take care of themselves,” Young said. “Sleep, exercise, good nutrition, taking time to relax and de-stress, and utilizing holistic health techniques are so important and not valued enough in society.”

As Young settled into her new role at WCSU, the Nursing Department from which she obtained her master’s degree announced the establishment of a new degree program: the Doctor of Nursing Practice. With two young children at home, Young said she really had no desire to “go back to school,” but the strong relationships she developed with Western’s Nursing faculty during her master’s degree studies convinced her to join the first cohort in fall 2022 for the new DNP program.

“A DNP focuses on clinical practice and leadership in clinical practice,” Young said. “Obtaining this degree will enable me to make WCSU’s Health Services more efficient. For example, one of the courses focuses on creating a business plan and learning how to look for grants that would apply to the services we offer students.”

WCSU’s DNP is online and asynchronous except for required clinical immersion hours, Young said. “You can take this program without detriment to the obligations of your existing career.” With completion of the program about four months away, Young added, “Working in an academic institution, lifelong learning is really important. The DNP is a terminal degree and will be the highpoint of my professional track. My MSN gave me my clinical knowledge, and my DNP will give me leadership expertise. To those who are considering it, just get started.”

For more information, contact DNP Coordinator Dr. Doreen Graham at grahamda@wcsu.edu or graduateadmissions@wcsu.edu.

Western Connecticut State University changes lives by providing all students with a high-quality education that fosters their growth as individuals, scholars, professionals and leaders in a global society. Our vision: To be widely recognized as a premier public university with outstanding teachers and scholars who prepare students to contribute to the world in a meaningful way.