University Advisement Center

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Most frequent questions and answers

Where do I find my registration PIN?

Your PIN is a 6 digit identification number you’ll need to provide when registering for courses online, or in-person. You will not be able complete the registration process unless you have your PIN. You’ll get your PIN from your advisor and it will change each semester.

Where do I register for classes?

Students are encouraged to register online since this is the easiest way to enroll in courses as early as possible. You can register online using your BannerWeb account or you can register in person at the Registrar’s office with a completed Registration Form during our office hours.

What is the Registration Priority date?

Your registration date is the date that you may begin registering for courses. Registration begins on midnight of your Registration Date, listed at the top of this email.

What if you have a Registration Hold?

You may not be able to register until the hold has been released on your account. You can learn about your account status by logging into BannerWeb and following the instructions below:

Select “My Holds” under the Student Service Tab. If you have any holds on your account, the hold information is displayed on screen. If you have questions regarding Holds on your account, you can contact the Advisement Center for assistance.

What if I can't log into BannerWeb?

If you have not set up your student BannerWeb account yet, you’ll need to contact IT&I Helpdesk at 203-837-8467 or by email at new email

If you can’t remember your BannerWeb password, you can use the Self-Service Windows Password Manager to reset your password. If you are locked out of your account, you’ll need to visit one of the staffed computer centers for further assistance.

Is the font free ?

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur

Frequently Asked Questions

Most frequent questions and answers

Prior to registering for classes, students must meet with their faculty mentor or University Advisor to ensure that they are taking courses that fulfill their requirements. If you wish to register online, you must receive a registration PIN from either your faculty mentor or university advisor.

Besides assisting you with course registration and planning, University Advisors are here to help you get the most out of your time at WCSU! They can assist when you have questions about academic policies and procedures or when you need help locating other helpful resources on campus.

Often students come to Western uncertain about what major they want to explore, so they are matriculated as Exploratory Studies students. If you have not yet declared an academic major you are considered an Exploratory Studies student and you can drop by the Advisement Center in Old Main 202 or call 203-837-8397 to make an appointment to meet with one of the professional staff advisors.

The advisors in the University Advisement Center are available to:

  • Assist you in selecting and registering for courses that meet both general education requirements and allow you to explore various fields of study that may help you decide upon a major area of study.
  • Provide accurate and up-to-date information about programs and services as well as policies and procedures at the University
  • Assist students in assessing academic strengths and interests that will lead to the declaration of a major
  • Refer you to other academic departments and university services

Because successful academic advisement depends upon the relationship between you and your advisor, you should:

  • Make an appointment to see your advisor when you have questions or need assistance. Appointments ensure that the advisor is available and that s/he can devote a block of time entirely to you
  • Arrive on time to your appointments with your advisor. If you cannot keep your appointment, call to reschedule.
  • Bring your program sheet, a recent copy of your transcript and a list of any questions you may have. Being prepared will save time for both you and your advisor.

All matriculated students have a program sheet which outlines courses you must take to fulfill your academic requirements. Think of your program sheet as a roadmap towards your academic goals. As you take courses at the university, you and your advisor will work with the program sheet to indicate your progress and determine which requirements you still need to fulfill.

Students should have received a program sheet from the Admissions Office if they transferred credits to Western from another school. This program sheet will indicate courses that will be taken at Western and those already completed.

You may access your program sheet online through your Banner account by clicking on the “Degree Works” link. Using Degree Works, you can see where your current and past courses are applied to your current program. You may also view where your progress would stand in other programs by clocking on the “What-if” tab.

You can get an unofficial copy of your transcript by logging onto Click on “Student Services” and then “Academic Transcript” to download your records. An official copy of your academic transcript can be obtained through a written request from the Registrar’s Office. Please log on to, for more information.

Yes. You must schedule an appointment to see your advisor prior to registration to ensure that you’re taking courses that fulfill your requirements. Also, you will need your registration PIN for online registration.

Sorry – Advisors can’t simply hand out PIN’s prior to a consultation regarding your course schedule. Although ultimately you are responsible for your own educational decisions, it is the advisor’s obligation to help you stay on the right track.