What is Sexual Assault?
Definition: Sexual Assault is an act of VIOLENCE, POWER, and CONTROL in which one person forces or manipulates another person into unwanted sexual behavior. This includes:
- Exposure to inappropriate materials (pornographic pictures or videos, flashing, or exhibitionism)
- Sexual contact (unwanted touches)
- Sexual harassment
- Rape: actual or attempted vaginal, oral, or anal penetration by an object, body part, or ejaculated bodily fluid. Assault can be date, acquaintance, by a family member (incest/ child sexual assault), co-habitating or spousal rape or sexual assault by a professional. Sexual assault often includes stalking.
What is Sexual Harassment?
Definition: Sexual Harassment can include any unwanted or unwelcomed behavior that is sexual or sexist in nature, and us an unwanted conduct of a sexual nature that creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive educational or employment environment This can include:
- Sexual flirtation, touching, advances or propositions
- Verbal abuse of a sexual nature
- Pressure to engage in sexual activity
- Graphic or suggestive comments about an individual's dress or appearance
- Use of sexually degrading words to describe an individual
- Display of sexually suggestive objects, pictures or photographs
- Sexual jokes or stereotypic comments based upon gender
- Threats, demands or suggestions that retention of one's educational status is contingent upon toleration of or acquiescence in sexual advances.
What is Intimate Partner Violence?
- Also known as, "dating violence," "domestic violence," or "family violence."
- Assaulting, threatening, or stalking an intimate partner is a crime in the state of Connecticut.
What is Stalking?
Definition: A course of conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to feel fear. Stalking is serious, often violence, and can escalate over time.
- It involves repeatedly contacting another person when the contacting person knows or should know that the contact is unwanted.
- Contacting includes communicating with (including communication through technology) or remaining in the physical presence of the other person.