Welcome to the Office of Diversity & Equity website and welcome back to the Spring semester of the 2018-19 academic year!
We’re excited for a new year, which brings new possibilities. We hope that you not only explore the webpage, but that you interact with us in person! You’ll notice on our Spring 2019 diversity calendar (that will be posted on or after February 11, 2019) that there’s a lot of activity in our office and we’d love to see you at some of our upcoming events.
The upcoming Spring 2019 events are:
- Wednesday, February 6, 2019, from – Midtown Campus, Student Center: “Black Heritage/History Month Food Showcase”
- Thursday, February 14, 2019 – Midtown Campus, Student Center Lobby, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.: “Chalk About Love”
- Tuesday, February 19, 2019 – Midtown Campus, White Hall, Room 127 at 6:00 p.m.: “Black Heritage Month, ESPN Documentary showing about the featured speaker: Claire Smith, ESPN News Editor”
- Tuesday, February 26, 2019 – Midtown Campus, Ives Concert Hall at 6:30 p.m.: “Black Heritage Month, Featured Speaker: Claire Smith, ESPN News Editor”
- Thursday, February 28, 2019 – West Side Campus Center: “Black Heritage/History Month Food Showcase”
More updates will follow upon posting of the Spring 2019 Diversity Events Calendar.
Lunch with a Leader Series: Is a monthly lunch event that permits for students, faculty and staff to engage with invited guests and learn more about various positions of leadership. Each month, a different guest is invited to discuss their career trajectory and benefits and challenges of holding an administrative and/or community position.
- Tuesday, February 19, 2019 – Midtown Student Center Room 202, from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.: “Featuring: Professor Neeta Connally – WCSU Biology Department”
- Tuesday, March 19, 2019 – Midtown Student Center Room 201A, from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.: “Featuring: Associate Professor Marcel Agueros – Astrology Department, Columbia University”
- Tuesday, April 9, 2019 – Westside Campus Center Room 212/214, from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.: “Featuring: Dr. Michelle Brown – Dean, Macricostas School of Arts and Sciences”
The Office of Diversity and Equity is always striving for transparency and creating an institutional culture where diversity, equity and inclusion are ingrained in everything we do.
We’re implementing new programs and policies guided by the feedback we receive from the WCSU community through informal conversations, student associations and other opportunities to engage in dialogue around bias, privilege and oppression. Thanks to the work of the Campus Response and Resource Team (“CaRRT”), the University continues to successfully utilize the linked Anonymous Incident Reporting system to allows for bias-related and sexual misconduct incident reporting to be promptly addressed by the University. To ensure transparency and accountability around issues related to diversity, we release annual reports and perform research data analysis for quality improvement on campus. We want issues that affect the WCSU community we identify with and serve to influence and shape the way we take action, the initiatives and programs we create, and the activities we support.
We look forward to getting to know you, whether it’s by studying and relaxing in our office or by recruiting with us, assisting with our pipeline programs or meeting you at different events. Please allow our website to serve as a guided resource where you can access information on course work, faculty research, services and programs all related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
For new students, we are eager to meet you and for returning students, we are excited to reconnect with you! Please feel free to reach out by phone at (203) 837-8444 or by email at email@example.com about the programs, services, and activities provided by our office.
Jesenia Minier Delgado
Chief Diversity Officer/University ADA and Title IX Coordinator