Committee(s) and/or Working Group(s)
University’s Diversity Council
The Office of Diversity and Equity, in partnership with the Provost Office, will launch the first Diversity Council in December 2017. The University’s Diversity Council (“the Council”) will be comprised of representation from Management/Confidential staff, AAUP, Clerical, Police, Maintenance and Student representatives to utilize their experience and expertise to develop and support methods for advancing the presence of diversity and inclusion of underrepresented minority groups at the University.
The Council will function as advisors in developing initiatives to recruit and retain underrepresented minority groups at all levels of Western Connecticut State University (“WCSU” or “University”). Council members will also identify partnership opportunities between WCSU and the business community for the purposes of: promoting mutual gain through activities like student/employee recruiting, mentoring, consulting arrangements, internship opportunities, and involving faculty members in practical business problems, solutions, arranging for guest speakers from industry, supporting University-wide outreach operations, and bringing students and employees into direct contact with members of the Danbury community. The Council will assist the Office of Diversity and Equity on key trends, changes, and developments in business so that Western Connecticut State University can more readily integrate “real world” matters into curriculum and other activities.
Key Priorities for the University’s Diversity Council in 2019-2020 will be to:
- CDO Presentation to University Cabinet and Senate on Council membership
- Dissemination of information for Council membership and interest
- Development of a mission and vision for the Diversity Council
- Development of Diversity Council By-Laws
- Examining key trends and challenges at the University with faculty diversity recruitment and retention efforts.
As of January 1, 2018, the members of the University Diversity Council are as follows:
- Paul Steinmetz, Director, University and Community Relations
- Ethan Balk, Assistant Professor, Health Promotion & Exercise Sciences
- Truman Keys, Associate Professor, Communications and Media Arts
- Lorraine Moya Sala, Assistant Professor, Social Work
- Robert Pote, Director, Pre-Collegiate and Access Department
- Michael Ercoli, Quality Craft Worker – Locksmith, WestConnect Card Office
- Jesenia Minier-Delgado, Chief Diversity Officer (Ex-officio member)
WCSU Diversity Council form(s):
WCSU Diversity Council By-Laws (posted August 26, 2019)
2020-2021 Academic Year Meeting Schedule (to be posted by or before September 7, 2020)