Committee(s) and/or Working Group(s)
Last updated: July 16, 2020
WCSU DIVERSITY COUNCIL
UPDATE: The WCSU Diversity Council will reconvene in the 2020-2021 academic year to make recommendations on how best to support our university community during these challenging times with community trauma and healing. WCSU has worked tirelessly to bring initiatives to engage the campus community.
The Office of Diversity and Equity, in partnership with the Office of the Provost/Vice President for the Division of Academic Affairs, launched the first Diversity Council in December 2017. The Western Connecticut State University (“WCSU” or “University”) Diversity Council (“the Council”) will be comprised of representation from Management/Confidential staff, AAUP, Clerical, Police, Maintenance and Student representatives to utilize their experience and expertise to develop and support methods for advancing the presence of diversity and inclusion of underrepresented minority groups within the university community.
MISSION AND VISION OF THE WCSU DIVERSITY COUNCIL
The Council will function as advisors in developing initiatives to recruit and retain underrepresented minority groups in the identified community groups of the WCSU community. Council members will also identify partnership opportunities between WCSU and the business community for the purposes of: promoting mutual gain through activities like student/employee recruiting, mentoring, consulting arrangements, internship opportunities, and involving faculty members in practical business problems, solutions, arranging for guest speakers from industry, supporting University-wide outreach operations, and bringing students and employees into direct contact with members of the Danbury community. The Council will assist the Office of Diversity and Equity on key trends, changes, and developments so that Western Connecticut State University can more readily integrate “real world” matters into curriculum and other university activities
Key Priorities for the Council completed in the 2019-2020 academic year:
- CDO Presentation to University Cabinet and Senate on Council membership.
- Dissemination of information for Council membership and interest.
- Development of a mission and vision for the WCSU Diversity Council.
- Development of Diversity Council By-Laws.
Key Priorities for the Council to examine in the 2020-2021 academic year:
- Examining membership composition and new dissemination on Council member and interests.
- Examining key trends and challenges with faculty diversity recruitment and retention efforts.
- Examining the creation and implementation of a WCSU Diversity Action Plan.
- Examining strategies and resolutions to recommend racial trauma and healing.
- Examining the importance of student representation on the Council.
As of January 1, 2018, the members of the Council are as follows:
- Paul Steinmetz, Director, University and Community Relations
- Ethan Balk, Assistant Professor, Health Promotion & Exercise Sciences
- Truman Keys, Associate Professor, Communications and Media Arts
- Lorraine Moya Sala, Assistant Professor, Social Work
- Robert Pote, Director, Pre-Collegiate and Access Department
- Michael Ercoli, Quality Craft Worker – Locksmith, WestConnect Card Office
- Jesenia Minier-Delgado, Chief Diversity Officer (Ex-officio member)
WCSU Diversity Council form(s):
WCSU Diversity Council By-Laws (posted August 26, 2019)
2020 – 2021 Academic Year Meeting Schedule (to be posted by or before September 7, 2020)
WCSU Diversity Council Membership Information (to be posted by or before September 7, 2020)