Committee(s) and/or Working Group(s)
Last updated: February 21, 2021
WCSU DIVERSITY COUNCIL
UPDATE: The WCSU Diversity Council will reconvene in the 2020-2021 academic year to make recommendations on how best to support our university community during these challenging times with community trauma and healing. WCSU has worked tirelessly to bring initiatives to engage the campus community.
The Office of Diversity and Equity, in partnership with the Office of the Provost/Vice President for the Division of Academic Affairs, launched the first Diversity Council in December 2017. The Western Connecticut State University (“WCSU” or “University”) Diversity Council (“the Council”) will be comprised of representation from Management/Confidential staff, AAUP, Clerical, Police, Maintenance and Student representatives to utilize their experience and expertise to develop and support methods for advancing the presence of diversity and inclusion of underrepresented minority groups within the university community.
MISSION AND VISION OF THE WCSU DIVERSITY COUNCIL
The Council will function as advisors in developing initiatives to recruit and retain underrepresented minority groups in the identified community groups of the WCSU community. Council members will also identify partnership opportunities between WCSU and the business community for the purposes of: promoting mutual gain through activities like student/employee recruiting, mentoring, consulting arrangements, internship opportunities, and involving faculty members in practical business problems, solutions, arranging for guest speakers from industry, supporting University-wide outreach operations, and bringing students and employees into direct contact with members of the Danbury community. The Council will assist the Office of Diversity and Equity on key trends, changes, and developments so that Western Connecticut State University can more readily integrate “real world” matters into curriculum and other university activities
Key Priorities for the Council completed in the 2020-2021 academic year:
- CDO Presentation to University Cabinet and Senate on Council membership.
- Dissemination of information for Council membership and interest.
- Development of a mission and vision for the WCSU Diversity Council.
- Development of Diversity Council By-Laws.
- Examining membership composition and new dissemination on Council member and interests.
- Examining the importance of student representation on the Council.
Key Priorities for the Council to examine in the 2021-2022 academic year:
- Creating virtual and in-person university engagements for diversity and equity practices.
- Examining the creation and implementation of a WCSU Diversity Action Plan.
- Examining strategies and resolutions to recommend racial trauma and healing.
As of January 1, 2021, the members of the Diversity Council are as follows:
- Hasan Arslan, Associate Professor, Justice and Law Administration
- Ethan Balk, Associate Professor, Health Promotion & Exercise Sciences (Extended appointment to 2023)
- Michelle Brown, Dean, Macricostas School of Arts and Sciences
- Michael Ercoli, Qualified Craft Worker – Locksmith, WestConnect Card Office (Extended appointment to 2023)
- Jennifer Cunningham, CSU Administrative Assistant, Office of the Provost
- Eden Edwards-Harris, Resident Director, Office of Housing and Residence Life
- Kanalla M. Hays, Senior, BS Secondary Education
- Carol Huang, Associate Professor, Finance
- Truman Keys, Professor, Communications and Media Arts (Extended appointment to 2023)
- George Marasco, Storekeeper, Office of Property Management
- Lorri-Ann Monte, Assistant Professor, Education and Education Psychology
- Elisabeth Morel, Director, Office of AccessAbility Services
- April Moreira, Assistant Professor, Social Work
- Lorraine Moya Sala, Assistant Professor, Social Work (Extended appointment to 2023)
- Robert Pote, Director, Pre-Collegiate and Access Department (Extended appointment to 2023)
- Sara Risko, Freshman, BS Health Promotion Studies
- Paul Steinmetz, Director, University and Community Relations (Extended appointment to 2023)
- Brianna Woodson, Freshman, BA Biology
- Daryle Dennis, Assistant Dean, Division of Student Affairs (NEW Ex-officio member)
- Jesenia Minier, Chief Diversity Officer (Ex-officio member)
WCSU Diversity Council form(s):
WCSU Diversity Council By-Laws (posted August 26, 2019)
2020 – 2021 Academic Year Meeting Schedule (to be posted by or on March 12, 2021)
WCSU Diversity Council Membership Information (to be posted by or on March 12, 2021)