Center for Business Research Bylaws
Article I – Name
This organization shall be known as the Center for Business Research (CBR).
Article II – Purpose
- To provide undergraduate and graduate students with the opportunity to become involved in a wide variety of research activities in business and related areas.
- To develop academic foundations for advanced study and potential employment in research for business and related areas.
- To provide faculty with an opportunity to integrate applied research projects into courses.
- To provide faculty with additional avenues to enhance intellectual contributions.
- To develop relationships among Ancell departments and other departments in the University through multidisciplinary research projects.
- To provide faculty and students with an opportunity to use current research technologies.
- To provide research services to organizations inside and outside the University. (Providing that the research has appropriate educational significance).
Article III – Operations
- The CBR may solicit and receive grants, and accept contracts, donations and endowments in accordance with University policy and procedures. It may also request charges for services rendered, such revenue to be deposited in a CBR account of the Research Foundation and the entire amount minus a 5% overhead charge for the University, and 10% for the Ancell Research Fund, disbursed from the same.
- The CBR is empowered to pay student employees and others delivering service to the Center or its clients.
Article IV – Governance And Rules of Order
- The affairs of the CBR shall be managed via the CBR Board (herein after the Board) and a Director.
- The Board shall consist of up to eleven (11) voting members to include: the Dean of the Ancell School of Business, (6) full-time faculty members representing each of the Departments (and Division) of the Ancell School, two (2) representatives from outside the Ancell School, and two (2) students volunteers selected by the Board. Department participation on the Board is voluntary and any department may waiver the right of representation. In the event of waiver of representation, the number of Board members will be reduced by the number of waivers. Non-voting members may be added to the Board by an affirmative vote of two-thirds of the members of the Board.
- The term of office of each elected member shall be for two years, commencing on June 1. Members are eligible for reelection.
- In the event of a vacancy on the Board, a Department shall promptly elect a replacement for the remainder of the vacated term.
- The Board shall be regulated in accordance with Robert’s Rules of Order and all other proceedings shall be governed by the Bylaws.
- The Bylaws and any future amendments shall be subject to University Senate approval.
Article V – Quorum
- At meetings of the Board, a majority of the members of the Board shall constitute a quorum.
- A majority vote of those present and voting shall be necessary to carry any motion made.
Article VI – Officer And Their Duties
- The officers of the Board shall be Chairperson and Secretary, elected by majority vote of those present at the annual April meeting. Each officer shall serve until the next annual meeting or until a successor has been elected for the balance of the term by the members of the Board. The Chairperson of the Board shall be a member of the Ancell School of Western Connecticut State University.
- The Chairperson shall preside over all meetings of the Board and shall guide the Board in achieving all the purposes and objectives defined in Article II, assuring that such services are consistent with federal, state and local law.
- The Secretary shall keep the official minutes of each meeting of the Board, and sign all correspondence and official documents as designated by the Board. A copy of official minutes of each meeting shall be distributed to Ancell School members by the Secretary. Copies of the minutes of the meeting will also be available to others upon request.
Article VII – The Director
- A CBR Director will be recommended to the Dean of the Ancell School based on a vote of the members of the Board upon such terms and conditions conforming to Affirmative Action guidelines and State employment policies. The Dean of the Ancell School of Business will appoint the Director based on the Board’s recommendation. The daily administration of the CBR will be the responsibility of the Director. The CBR Director will make routine operating decisions under guidelines established in annual CBR meetings.
- The Director as a member of the Board will have voting rights. The Director will represent either one of the 6 departments (divisions) on the Board or one of the two outside positions.
- The Director shall be a fiscal agent of the CBR and will be authorized to sign for disbursement of funds in CBR accounts with the approval of the Dean of the Ancell School of Business.
- The Director shall be responsible for the preparation of a budget for the ensuing year to be presented to the Board at the annual meeting to be held in April. Said budget will include the estimated costs of administering and operating each program, and estimated revenues from all sources in support of the CBR and its programs.
- The Director shall prepare and provide to each member of the Board at the annual April meeting a report of the programs and services provided by the CBR during the previous academic year. The Director will also send a copy of the annual report to the Senate each April.
Article VIII – Meetings
The Board will meet at least two times annually. A special meeting of the Board may be called at the request of the Chairperson, Director, or any Board member, provided a notice has been given to all members at least 72 hours prior to such a meeting and the agenda has been announced when the meeting is called. All meetings will be held on the WCSU campus unless otherwise specified.
Articles IX – Amendments
These Bylaws may be amended at any regular meeting of the Board by two-thirds of the membership, providing the amendments were presented during the prior regular meeting and providing such amendments are approved by the Senate.
Article X – Effective Date
These Bylaws shall take effect upon ratification by affirmative vote of two-thirds of the full-time faculty members of the Ancell School.
Approved Senate: 9/18/96, (R 96-9-30
Administrative Approval: August 1997