Office of the Registrar




Add/Drop Form
Add/Drop a current or future course (for current matriculated students ONLY). This can only be used during the Add/Drop period for the semester/session you are registering. More information
Application for Graduation
opens in a new windowOnline
Check if you qualify for graduation and to receive your degree. More information
Approval for Audit
opens in a new windowPDF
Audit a course. More information
Change of Address
opens in a new windowOnline , opens in a new windowPDF
Change your address.
Change of Name
opens in a new windowPDF
Change your name. Official documents required.
Change of Major / Double Major


Change a major or option, or add another major. More information
Change of Major for Education


Change TO an Education major
or Make changes within an already existing Education major.
More information
Course Overrides
Register for a course via override. More information
Course Substitution
Substitute a course.
Course Withdrawal
Withdraw from a course. More information
Cross Registration Approval
Online , PDF
If currently a WCSU student, submit this to take a class at another institution.
If from another institution, submit this to take a class at WCSU (PDF only).
Leave of Absence (Included on University Withdrawal Form)
Online , PDF
Request a Leave of Absence (LOA) from the university. More information
Non-Degree-Seeking Undergraduate Student Registration
Online , PDF opens WORD file
For non-students interested in taking a WCSU course. More information
Non-Disclosure of Directory Information Request Form
Students have the right under FERPA to request to withhold all of their information including that which is designated as directory information.
To register for two courses that overlap in time. More information
Request a course to count as Pass/Fail rather than a letter grade.
Registration for Degree Seeking Students
Register for courses.
Repeat Policy
Online , PDF
Repeat a course. More information
Undergraduate Replacement Diploma
PDF opens WORD file
Obtain a replacement diploma.
Student Consent Form (FERPA)
Online , PDF
Grant others access to your educational records (grades, billing, etc).
Study Abroad Course Approval / Int’l Student Exchange Program
Request courses taken in a different country or region count for WCSU credit. More information
Taking a Course at Another Institution
Take a course at another institution. The course credit will count as Transfer Credit.
Transcript Request / Policy Information
Request a copy of your transcript
University Withdrawal (Includes Undergraduate Leave of Absence)
Online , PDF
Withdraw from the university.


Adding and Dropping Courses

Adding Courses
To add courses, you must make your request before the fourth class session for courses which meet three times a week or before the third class session for courses which meet twice a week. Any requests later than the first week of classes will require the approval of the department chairperson. Added courses which result in overloads also need the approval of the dean.

Note: The dean of the school reserves the right to make changes in personnel and to cancel, if necessary, any course offered (including Student Developed Study). The dean also reserves the right to limit class size and to refuse registration when limits have been reached.

Dropping Courses
If you drop a course, it will no longer appear on your record. You may drop a course during the first week it is offered. If dropping a course will cause a full-time student to fall below full-time status, the student must withdraw from that course. The course will then appear on your academic record with a grade of “W.” (See Withdrawal from a Course)


Application for Graduation

Degrees are awarded at the end of each semester and summer session.  Applications for a degree must be filed with the Registrar’s Office.


Graduation Date Application Deadline
May November 1
August February 1
December & January August 1


Once the application is submitted, you will receive an evaluation from the Registrar’s Office listing the requirements you still need to fulfill.  Evaluations are done in the order in which they are received.  Students that apply by the deadlines listed above will receive their evaluations back before the next registration period begins.


Approval Audit

You must obtain approval to audit within the first four weeks for full semester courses or within the first two weeks for courses scheduled less than a full semester or you will receive a grade. Audited courses carry no academic credit but count towards billable hours.


Change Of Major

A student who desires to change their major from one department to another department must complete the appropriate form which is available in the office of the chairman of the new department.

For Application and change Double Major:

Any WCSU student who wishes to fulfill the requirements for more than one academic major may do so.  Students must satisfy the requirements for both majors, and courses required for one major may not be used to complete requirements for a second major.  To complete a double major in the Ancell School of Business within the five (5) business administration departments, students must complete the BBA Core and the courses in both majors with no duplication of courses in the two majors.  Both majors will be listed on the student’s transcript; however, only one degree will be awarded.


If a student qualifies for more than one degree, e.g., both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science, the student must notify the Registrar’s Office as to which degree to receive at commencement.

Students are advised to exercise caution in selecting more than one major because the requirements to meet two majors will limit the ability to take elective courses.

Students are responsible for fulfilling the requirements of both majors as well as any special general education requirements in the majors.


Withdrawal from Courses

Students may withdraw from a full-semester course, without penalty, until the end of the twelfth week of the semester. Withdrawals are recorded on a student’s transcript with a grade of “W.” There is no academic penalty attached to this grade. Students wishing to initiate a withdrawal from a course without penalty beyond the twelfth week must obtain the instructor’s written approval.  Withdrawals forms must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.   The Registrar’s Office will not accept withdrawals during finals week.   Withdrawal without penalty refers only to academic penalty (i.e., failure).

The withdrawal deadline for courses that are eight weeks in length is the end of the fifth week.  The withdrawal deadline for courses that are five weeks in length is the last day of the third week and the deadline for withdrawal from a course that is three weeks in length is the last day of the second week.

A withdrawal may affect your attainment of satisfactory progress as defined by financial aid, housing, athletic eligibility and other policies. Withdrawal deadlines for other than full-semester courses are posted at the Registrar’s Office.

  Faculty may report you as having stopped attending a class.  Students who are reported as stopped attending will receive a W for the course.  Should a student be reported as stopped attending in all their courses, they will be administratively withdrawn from the institution.

Part-time students pay tuition for each credit for which they are registered. If they drop/withdraw from a course within the refund deadlines, they will receive the appropriate refund as indicated on the academic calendar. Full-time students are eligible for a refund only if they withdraw from school. The refund deadlines for fulltime students can also be found in the academic calendar.

It is possible to withdraw without penalty from a course through the withdrawal deadline by completing the appropriate paperwork from the Registrar’s Office.  Withdrawal may affect the attainment of satisfactory progress as defined by financial aid, housing, athletic eligibility, and other policies.

NOTE: You must officially withdraw from a course to avoid receiving a failing grade. If you just stop attending the class without following the necessary procedure, you will be given a failing grade.


Incomplete Grades

To receive an incomplete (“INC”) grade in a class, students must formally request it from the instructor in writing.  Once approved by the instructor, the incomplete grade denoted as “INC”, will be assigned by the instructor during the final grading period.  Incomplete grades must be resolved within six weeks of the next major term (fall or spring). If the incomplete grade is not replaced with a grade within the designated timeframe, it will automatically convert to a grade of “F” or the minimum passing grade as determined by the instructor. Incomplete grades may not be removed by repeating a course. Students will be ineligible for the Dean’s List if they have an incomplete grade at the time the Dean’s List is generated. During their graduating semester, students must coordinate with their degree auditor regarding the timeline for resolving the incomplete grade.

When a student opts for an incomplete, it signifies their commitment to completing the coursework and earning a final grade.  Therefore, a “W” grade (withdrawal) cannot serve as a resolution for an incomplete.  A “W” denotes a course registration status and cannot be applied to a student’s academic record once the withdrawal period for a specific term has passed.



Leave of Absence

Students may choose to request a Leave of Absence (LOA) from the university for a period of time not to exceed two consecutive major semesters (Fall and Spring).  Students seeking a Leave of Absence must meet the following criteria:

  • Be matriculated and enrolled with no more than one semester break prior to the requested Leave of Absence
  • Have no pending university disciplinary action

A Leave of Absence is related to a student’s enrollment at the university and is not recognized by federal regulations.
A Leave of Absence may be requested at any time during a semester, but cannot be applied to withdraw from courses during the week of final exams.
Spring semester Leave of Absences submitted on or before December 31 will be processed after January 1 due to end-of-calendar year tax document preparations.
While on a Leave of Absence:

  • A student remains matriculated at the university
  • A student may return and register for courses at the end of the LOA without having to reapply to the university
  • A student will receive registration related notification materials
  • A student will not have the access rights held by registered students such as access to the library, campus facilities, computer labs etc.

Non-Matriculated Undergraduate Student Registration Form

The Non-Matriculated Undergraduate Student Registration form should be completed by individuals who have not been accepted by WCSU to pursue a degree but who wish to take courses at WCSU.  The form may be completed, printed and emailed (requestregistrar@wcsu.educreate new email), mailed (WCSU-Registrar’s Office, 181 White Street, Danbury, CT 06810) or submitted in-person (Registrar’s Office, Old Main Building, Room 102; M-F 8:00 am-4:30 pm).  The opening day of registration for non-matriculated students may be found on our website at  Submitting this form does NOT guarantee you a seat in the course.  Once you are registered for the course(s), you will be mailed/given a course scheduled.  PLEASE NOTE: If you decide you do not wish to take the course, you must notify the Registrar’s Office (requestregistrar@wcsu.educreate new email). Non-attendance does NOT automatically withdraw you from a course.  You will be held responsible for payment if you do not officially withdraw from the course(s) by the first day of class.


Students must use the Overlap form when they wish to register for two courses which overlap in time.  When a time conflict exists, you will not be allowed to register for both courses online.  You must obtain the signature of one instructor and then submit the form to the Registrar’s Office for processing.  The Registrar’s Office will register you for the second course once the form is submitted, if there is room in the course and if all prerequisites have been met.  If permission is obtained and the form is signed prior to your registration date, your record can be updated to accept this overlap and you can register online during your registration period.  If you have already registered for classes, the Registrar’s Office will register you for the second course.


Override/Course Override

Students need to request an override:

a. When a section is closed; and/or
b. When they do not meet the course pre-requisite(s); and/or
c.  When registering after the add/drop period.

The form requires the signature of the student, the faculty member, and the department chairperson.  If the form is submitted after the add/drop period, the signature of the Dean  also is required.  In lieu of the form, the academic department may provide an electronic override.  Contact the department chairperson directly.


Repeat Policy

Students are permitted to repeat most courses at Western; however, credit is granted only once toward graduation unless specifically noted in the course description (e.g., ENG 376). For up to the first seventeen (17) academic credits of repeated courses, the highest grade attained by the student will be substituted for the lower grade(s) for the purpose of calculating the student’s grade point average (GPA). Although the lower grade received in the repeated course will not be calculated in the GPA, it will remain visible on the student’s official university transcript.  If a student repeats courses beyond the seventeen (17) academic credit limitation, the multiple grades attained for the repeated course(s) shall be used in the calculation of the student’s GPA.  This policy applies to undergraduate courses completed at WCSU only, and may be applied only to courses taken after Fall 2008.


Repeating any course taken in a previous semester may affect certain federal and state benefits, various financial aid programs, loans, scholarships and social security benefits, in addition to athletic eligibility and veteran’s benefits. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements must be met for continued financial aid eligibility. See the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment section of the catalog for the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.


Any course designated as X98 (Faculty-Developed Study) or X99 (Student Independent Study) is excluded from this policy. Special Topics classes are also excluded. Students are encouraged to consult with their academic adviser before repeating a course.  Education majors and post-baccalaureate certification students should refer to the Education Department for information regarding the repeating of courses as this policy may affect eligibility for certification.

The Repeat Policy Request Form must be in to the Registrar’s Office by the end of the sixth week of classes.


Study Abroad Course Approval-International Student Exchange Program (ISEP)

Courses taken in a different region or country may be transferred to WCSU.  In order to transfer the credits you must:
1. Receive approval from WCSU for each course
2. Pass each course with a grade of C- or better (major courses may require different grades for application
of the course towards the major sequence)
3. Request an official transcript be sent to the WCSU Registrar’s Office showing final grades

Students who wish to study abroad must review their degree plan with the Academic Department Chairperson for their major at WCSU to determine how courses taken at an institution in a different region or country will transfer into WCSU and ultimately apply toward their degree.

Courses will be applied to one of three categories:
1. General Education requirement
2. Major Course requirement
3. Free Elective (either to fill needed credits in this category or as additional credits if no appropriate equivalency can be identified)

Courses should be reviewed and approved before you travel abroad.  You must use the Study Abroad Course Approval Form to request approval.  you may choose to list more courses than you actually plan to take for pre-approval purposes, especially if you are attending a program where you enroll in courses upon arrival.

In order to have courses approved, you must supply the course title, description (such as found in a course catalog), total number of credit or contact hours, and/or a syllabus.

For General Education and Free Elective courses, submit the form to the Department Chairperson of the selected subject area.  The WCSU Department Chairperson for the Major must approve courses fulfilling a Major requirement, and you must submit the form to the department for approval.

If you arrive abroad and decide to make changes to your course enrollment, changes that involve a course or courses not previously approved, you must notify the original approver via email.  Course information and approvals may be exchanged via email to ensure you receive credit for the new course.

All approvals, including the completed Study Abroad Course Approval Form, must be forwarded to the WCSU Registrar’s Office in order to process your transcript appropriately upon your return.  You may submit approvals via email to RequestRegistrar@wcsu.educreate new email

Courses will display on your WCSU transcript as the WCSU transfer equivalency course.  Transfer credits to not include a grade earned, but are coded with a “T” and do not count in your cumulative GPA at WCSU.