Proposal/Grant Applications Procedures
Faculty who are planning to apply for external support from Federal, State or other agencies are encouraged to confer with the Director of Grant Programs at an early date. All institutional grant applications, i.e., those that make commitments of University personnel and other resources, are subject to internal review procedures. Such commitments may be made only by an authorized official of the University.
Institutional Grant Applications
- The faculty member (Project Director) confers with the Director of Grant Programs regarding funding sources, if not known. The Director of Grant Programs recommends potential funding sources and advises on University review requirements.
- The faculty member completes the Preliminary Check List (including summary of the proposed project) and consults with the Department Chairperson and the Dean. The Director of Grant Programs advises on the funding agency requirements (e.g., matching funds, cost sharing).
- The Project Director prepares the proposal in final form and submits the proposal to the Director of Grant Programs for editorial and budget preparation assistance. The Director of Grant Programs reviews the proposal for format and compliance with the funding agency requirements and provides editorial and budget preparation assistance, where needed.
- The Project Director obtains signatures of the Department Chairperson and the Dean on the routing sheet and forwards the routing sheet to the Director of Grant Programs. The Director of Grant Programs reviews the proposal with the Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs, and any other individuals, if appropriate.
- Multiple copies of the proposal are reproduced; the proposal is forwarded to the Director of Grant Programs for transmittal to funding agency. The Director of Grant Programs prepares the transmittal letter, forwards the approved proposal to the funding agency, and distributes copies of the proposal on campus.
The following time frame is recommended:
Steps 1-2 (2-5 days)
Step 3 (2-10 days)
Steps 4-5 (minimum 1-4 weeks)
Steps 5-6 (2-5 days)