Recruitment Expense Reimbursement Procedures
1. Allocation of Funds--The University has allocated a maximum of $1,800 to the department to cover expenses associated with a recruitment process. These funds can be used to reimburse both in-state and out-of-state candidates for travel and lodging expenses or expenses incurred by the Search Committee that are directly related to the recruitment function.
2. Distribution of Funds in an Equitable Manner--The Departmental Search Committee shall have the ability to allocate any travel reimbursement funds in an equitable manner among candidates. If the department establishes a limit on the amount of reimbursement that a candidate may receive, this limit must be communicated, in writing, to the candidate.
3. Reimbursable Expenses--In accordance with the updated Board Resolution #08-34, In-State candidates are eligible for reimbursement for travel expenses, accommodations, and meals. Up to three (3) candidates shall be limited to the following four categories:
A. Mileage and Tolls—The University shall reimburse candidates for use of their personal automobile to transport themselves. Reimbursement shall be at the prevailing IRS mileage rate (see current travel information for the current mileage rate.) The University shall also reimburse a candidate for tolls incurred in this travel. A receipt is required for tolls. MapQuest should be used to verify and submit for reimbursement of mileage.
B. Travel Expenses—The University will reimburse candidates for other travel expenses incurred in the visit to the University. Air travel shall be restricted to coach or business class seats and should be the most economical travel possible. Any expenses in this category must be documented with an original paid bill or receipt.
C. Meals—The University shall reimburse candidates for meal expenses during the time of travel or the time of the visit. Reimbursement for meals will be based on the Federal GSA Per Diem rates for the Danbury area. Currently, the candidates’ own meals may be reimbursed up to $71 per day ($12 for breakfast, $18 for lunch, $36 for dinner and $5.00 for incidentals). Tips for meals are included in this daily allowance. Any expenses in this category must be documented with an itemized original paid bill or receipt. Expenditures should be limited to the cost of food only. WCSU is not permitted to reimburse for alcoholic beverages.
D. Lodging—The University will reimburse candidates for the cost of lodging. Any expenses in this category must be documented with an itemized original paid bill or receipt. Please refer to the University’s preferred hotel list. Please note that hotel expenses should be paid by the candidate and will be reimbursed upon proper submission of original paid bill or receipt.
4. Candidate Reimbursement Procedure--Eligible expenses for candidates are submitted to the Human Resources department on the “WCSU Employment Candidate Expense Reimbursement Form” 1. Both the Department Chairperson and the Academic Dean must approve the reimbursement before the Human Resources department will process the reimbursement for a candidate.
5. Reimbursement for Meals and Refreshments Incurred by Members of a Search Committee--If a member of the Search Committee incurs an expense associated with the recruitment process for a candidate, those expenses are reimbursable. Examples of these expenses are meal expenses while entertaining a candidate or purchasing refreshments served at an interview. Reimbursement per person for meals will be based on the Federal GSA Per Diem rates for the Danbury area. Tips for meals are included in this daily allowance. WCSU is not permitted to reimburse for alcoholic beverages. The person requesting reimbursement for meals and/or refreshments should submit a “WCSU Disbursement Form for Searches,” 1 noting the candidate’s name on the form. Any expenses in this category must be documented with an itemized original paid bill or receipt noting the names of all attendees. Should you require services from the Sodexo Dining Service, please complete the WCSU Food Service Policy Request Form1 following the directions on the form. Please note the candidate's name and position they are applying for on the form as well all the attendees. The Federal GSA Per Diem rates apply to meals served by Sodexo as well. Once the form is completed, it should then be sent to the Human Resources office for assignment of the budget code and processing.
6. Mileage Reimbursement for Members of the Search Committee: Mileage reimbursement shall be at the prevailing IRS mileage rate (see current travel information for current mileage rate.) If an employee transports a candidate in their personal car resulting in the need to submit a claim for mileage reimbursement, they must complete and submit the following as appropriate:
A. In-State Travel—a WCSU Mileage Reimbursement Form should be used for In-State Travel. You should complete and submit the Mileage Reimbursement Form1 along with the MapQuest directions noting the mileage to the Department Chair and the Dean for signature. Send completed form to Peggy Boyle in Human Resources for assignment of the charge number and for final approval and processing.
B. Out-of-State Travel—a WCSU Request for Professional Travel Worksheet & Policy Exception Request Form should be submitted for Out-of-State Travel (i.e. picking up a candidate from a NY airport, etc.)
i. You should complete the Request for Professional Travel Worksheet 1, attaching any toll/parking receipts along with the MapQuest directions noting the mileage.
II. You will also need to complete a Policy Exception Request Form 1 (due to the current restrictions on out-of-state travel.)
III. Give both of the above forms & receipts to your Department Secretary who will then complete the following:
(a) Department Secretaries should then complete all applicable sections of the Travel Authorization Form* except for Sections #34 & #35. This form can be found in the K drive: Common Folder: Travel Folder.
(b) Please be sure to note the candidate's name in Section #17 along with the explanation.
(c) This form should then be signed by the Employee, the Department Chair and the Dean.
(d) Once these signatures have been obtained, the forms should then be sent to Peggy Boyle in Human Resources for assignment of the budget code and for final approval and processing.
*If any information is missing, the form(s) will be returned to the Department Secretary so that it can be fixed and resubmitted.
Please make sure that ORIGINAL ITEMIZED RECEIPTS are submitted for all meals, travel, etc. from both the Employee incurring the expense(s) and from the Candidate.
Both the Department Chairperson and the Academic Dean should approve all expenses prior to submitting them to Human Resources for final approval and payment.
Please Note: All expenses must be submitted for reimbursement prior to the end of the fiscal year in which they occur. Any expenses submitted after June 30th will not be guaranteed reimbursement.
1The WCSU Disbursement Form for Searches and the Employment Candidate Expense Reimbursement Form (click YES to enable macros) WCSU Policy Exception Request Form, Food Service Policy Form and the WCSU Mileage Reimbursement Form can be found on the Human Resources website under Human Resource Procedures: Candidate Reimbursement Procedures.