International Services

Travel Information

Traveling in the US

When you are traveling in the U.S., we recommend that you carry a copy of your passport and Form I-20 with you. These documents are required to show proof of lawful legal presence in the United States.  This is equally necessary (original copies) if you will be flying to another state within the United States.

For information about the required documents for air travel please visit U.S. Homeland security Transportation Security Administration.

Traveling to Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands

Students traveling to Canada should check with the Canadian Embassy for Canadian visa requirements.

Students traveling to Mexico should check with the Mexican Embassy for Mexican visa requirements.

Adjacent Islands are:

  • Saint Pierre
  • Miquelon
  • The Dominican Republic
  • Haiti
  • Bermuda
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Jamaica
  • The Windward and Leeward Islands
  • Trinidad
  • Martinique
  • Other British, French, and Netherlands territory or possessions in or bordering on the Caribbean Sea.

Automatic Revalidation of Visa

If your F-1 visa has expired and you are planning to travel to Canada or Mexico or the adjacent islands for less than 30 days, you may be eligible for automatic visa revalidation. You will be allowed to re-enter the U.S. with your valid Form I-20 (endorsed by the International Services Coordinator for travel), without applying for a new visa, provided that:

  • You did not apply for a new visa while in Canada.
  • You did not apply for a new visa which was denied.
  • You did not have a terminated I-20.
  • You have been out of the country for less than 30 days.
  • You are not a citizen of the following countries:
    • Cuba
    • Iran
    • North Korea
    • Sudan
    • Syria
    • Myanmar

Traveling Outside the US

All international students who plan to travel outside the U.S. must have a valid passport, current I-20, a valid U.S. visa and a travel signature. The passport must be valid at least six (6) months into the future. An expired passport can be renewed at your Home Country’s Embassy/Consulate within the United States.

A valid American visa is required to re-enter the United States. Renewal of visas can only be carried out at U.S. Embassies and Consulates outside the United States. Visa renewal is never possible in the United States.

A travel signature is also required on page two (2) your I-20. This signature is valid for six (6) months only.

Note: Please be aware that this list of required and suggested documentation does not guarantee admission to the U.S. With increased security checks, you may have time delays, opened luggage, restrictions on carry-on baggage, or additional questions.

F-1 Student

  • A valid passport at least 6 months into the future
  • Current valid I-20 form with recent travel signature
  • All previous I-20 forms (to show your history)
  • Official transcript from WCSU (Registrar’s Office)
  • Proof of course registration for upcoming semester
  • Current Affidavit of Support and/or a copy of your tuition bill showing a zero balance
  • Request a letter of good standing from International Services at least 2 weeks prior to your expected travel date.
  • Be prepared to talk about your educational goals here in the U.S., your intent to return to your home country and your plans once you do return home.
  • Maintain a respectful attitude.

F- 1 OPT

  • A valid passport at least 6 months into the future
  • A valid visa
  • Current valid I-20 form with recent travel signature
  • All previous I-20 forms (to show your history)
  • A valid Employment Authorization Card
  • A letter from your employer
  • Be prepared to talk about your intent to return to your home country.
  • Maintain a respectful attitude.