First Year Peer Mentor Program
Welcome to WCSU!
The Peer Mentor program connects first-year students with a trained peer mentor. This is an excellent opportunity for incoming students to connect with another WCSU student to help them transition to college and find their place here at WCSU.
The First Year Peer Mentor Program supplements FY Experience courses for new first year students and works in conjunction with the Exploratory Pathways Program. Participating in the Exploratory Pathways Program and working with a peer mentor is a great way to meet new people, learn how to navigate a new environment, understand the academic expectations of college, develop good study habits, and connect to helpful campus resources.
We know that the transition to college can sometimes feel overwhelming. The Peer Mentor program wants you to be prepared to tackle the many common challenges faced by all first-year students!
What is a peer mentor?
Peer mentors are trained, upper-class students who know what it is like to struggle and succeed in college. Think of your peer mentor as your personal guide and role model for being a successful college student.
Peer Mentors complete 10-hours of training prior to the beginning of the semester, and are eligible to become Certified Peer Educators through CRLA, the College Reading & Learning Association.
What will I talk about with my peer mentor?
Your peer mentor will provide you with personalized support and is your go-to for questions about college life. Over the course of the semester, you may talk about a variety of topics relating to college success, including:
- Adjusting to college life
- Navigating WCSU and tips for being a successful college student
- Getting involved on campus, such as clubs, organizations, and events
- Understanding the expectations of college professors
- How to study effectively in college
- Learning to managing your time and balance your coursework
- Accessing helpful campus resources
- Where to go on campus when you have questions
- Anything you want to know about college life or college academics!
Attention current WCSU Students! Want to become a Peer Mentor?
Becoming a peer mentor is a great way to build your resume and gain leadership experience! To learn more about joining the Peer Mentoring Team, click HERE