Housing & Residence Life

New Students

Students moving in

Living on campus is a great idea for many students.

As you’re making your decision, here’s some information you’ll need to know.

  • Where can I live?

    Take a look at housing available for you on our Residence Halls page. Be sure to check out the requirements for each building.

  • How do I let you know I would like on-campus housing?

    Once you’ve been accepted as a student, we need three things from you before you can choose a room. To complete your application file, you must do the following:

    1.       Housing Deposit – $250 deposit, which you can pay here (www.wcsu.edu/deposit). These deposits are non-refundable, and the deposit is applied to your housing costs for the semester. For new students, deposits are due by May 1st for the following fall in order to guarantee you space.  For returning students, the deposit is usually due in mid-March so that you are able to participate in room selection.

    2.     Housing Application – you can fill it out right here (WCSU Housing Portal), about 6-12 hours after you have paid a Housing Deposit.

    3.     Meningitis Vaccine – you must provide (to University Health Service) evidence that you have received a meningitis vaccine within the preceding 5 years.

  • Gender Neutral Housing

    WCSU offers all students the option of selecting gender neutral housing.  Gender neutral housing refers to a housing option in which two or more students mutually agree to share a multiple-occupancy bedroom, suite, or apartment without regard to the gender of the occupants.

    Gender-neutral housing is an option for any continuing student wishing to choose their roommate(s) regardless of gender, and live in rooms, suites and apartments without a gender designation. Only students who choose to live in gender-neutral assignments will be assigned to these spaces.  Gender Neutral Housing is not exclusive to LGBTQ+ students.  Housing & Residence Life will, however, work with transgender and non-binary students, including freshmen, on an individual basis to find suitable accommodations.

    Students may select gender-neutral rooms, suites, and apartments if they have selected to participate in Gender-Neutral Housing when asked in their Student Housing Application. We encourage roommates to communicate with each other about their plans to avoid any confusion.

  • How do I request a roommate or building?

    Students now use the Housing Portal to make their own roommate requests and choose their preferred buildings (provided, of course, that the students meet the building's age and/or credit requirements.

    While we can never guarantee that you will be able to be placed with a requested roommate, the opportunity is certainly there.  If you’d like to live with a specific person, each of you must request to live with the other, and each of you must have a complete file so that you can make your assignments with each other.  Requests must be made and accepted before any of you wanting to live together selects a room. 

    If you or your requested roommate has already chosen a space, we will not be able to honor your roommate requests, so it is important that each person requesting to room together completes an application as soon as possible, and requests or accepts the request of their roommate before anyone selects a room.

  • What about my meal plan choice?

    There are 3 housing meal plans available, but your building assignment dictates which plans are available to you. The buildings on Midtown (Fairfield, Litchfield, and Newbury Halls) require you to select either the Ultimate or Platinum plans. If you make no meal plan selection, you will automatically be assigned to the Ultimate plan.

    Centennial Hall also requires either the Ultimate or Platinum meal plans. If you do not make a selection, the default assignment is the Platinum plan. 

    Grasso and Pinney Halls allow students to select any of the 3 available meal plans – Ultimate, Platinum, or Blue. If you do not make a selection, the default assignment is the Blue plan.

    If you’d like information about the meal plans and what each provides, you may find it here (Housing Costs page) or here (Sodexo page).

  • I'm in a sport or SVPA student. Do I automatically get assigned to the Westside Campus?

    No, your participation in a varsity sport or acceptance into a program in the SVPA does not guarantee you placement on the Westside. Nearly all of our returning students live on the Westside, so available space is limited for new and transfer students.

  • When will I know my room assignment and roommate?

    Roommate information is no longer sent to you.  You have access through the Housing Portal to see your room assignment and roommate(s) information at any time after you have selected a room.  

    To see your information, log into the Housing Portal, and look for the section in your self-service area called: ASSIGNMENTS.  There, you’ll find your building and room assignment, and there will be the name(s) and bedroom assignments of your roommate(s).  Clicking on their highlighted name will allow you to email them.

  • I still have questions. Where do I get answers?

    Many of your questions may be answered on our webpages, but if not, please email us at housing@wcsu.educreate new email, or give us a call at 203-837-8531. Meanwhile, here are some other things you might be interested in:

    · Microfridge and safe rentals

    · OCM Linens programs

    · Why Insurance Video