Housing & Residence Life

HRL Guide, Policies, and Procedures

Department Overview 

  • At A Glance

    The Department of Housing & Residence Life (HRL) at WCSU is dynamic. We comprise a total of 6 suite and traditional-style residence halls across the Midtown and Westside campuses. We have the ability to house nearly 1,590 residential students at maximum capacity.

    Serving these residential students are a team of caring and experienced professional staff members and student staff. Overseeing each active residence hall is a full-time Resident Director (RD), along with a Resident Assistant (RA) student staff. Overseeing HRL as a whole are members of our Central Office  staff. This includes the Director of Housing & Residence Life, the Director of Residential Programs & Staff, the Associate Director for Housing Operations, and an Office Administrator. Our residence halls and staff foster a community of respect for all individuals, no matter how you identify!

    HRL's location on-campus, contact information, and hours of operation can be found by clicking here.

  • Mission Statement

    The mission of the Department of Housing & Residence Life is as follows:

    Our residence halls are a crossroads, where we promote academic excellence, build communities, and support student development.

    We Believe

    We believe students who live on campus should follow these guiding concepts.  

    While in University housing, we will:

    • Work to develop healthy and proactive self-concepts
    • Be responsible community members
    • Gain knowledge of and successfully apply life skills
    • Demonstrate self-reliance and resilience
    • Begin to distinguish between sound and unsound decision-making
    • Celebrate and contribute to our diverse community

     Please look for more information on how we accomplish our mission here.


    By choosing to live on campus at WCSU, you have joined the ranks of our CULTURE™, an exciting residential experience, one in which you take on greater leadership challenges, where your involvement carries rewards, where your academic life is supported by peer assistants and in-house staff resources, and your academic accomplishments are recognized and rewarded.

    The Department of Housing & Residence Life at Western Connecticut State University will Create Undergraduate Learning Through Unique Residential Experiences. Through programs, activities, and initiatives, we strive to foster self-authored individuals. We believe this can only be accomplished with the active participation and support of our students, our department and the University community at large.

    To learn more about CULTURE™, click here.

  • Meet the Staff

    Ron Mason photoRon Mason: Director of Housing & Residence Life

    (My pronouns: He/him/his)

    The Director is responsible for the overall operation of the Department. From the day you come looking for an application to the day you graduate, all the information and issues of your on-campus housing are the director’s concern.

    “My experiences in college were so rewarding that I decided to make college my career to help others experience the same.”


    Maribeth Griffin photoMaribeth Griffin: Director of Residential Programs & Staff

    (My pronouns: She/her)

    The Director for Residential Programs & Staff is responsible for all areas of the residence life component of your experience — the CULTURE program, Housing student employment, the supervision of the RD staff, and other programs developed and implemented by the Department.

    “An official member of the OK, Boomer generation, I’ve been here through the days when there were no personal computers, no cell phones, no social media, and no Netflix. Still, I try to make your days at WCSU everything you want!”


    Kevin Brenzel, RDKevin Brenzel: Associate Director of Housing Operations

    The Associate Director of Housing Operations is responsible for coordinating operational issues in the residence halls, such as housing assignments, serving as the liaison between HRL and the Facilities Department, scheduling, and for coordinating conference programs.



    All Central Office and Management staff contact information can be found by clicking here.


    Assistants to the Director/Resident Directors

    The RD is a non-student, post-undergraduate professional position. They live and work full-time in the building they’re assigned, and oversee the overall operations of the building and supervision of the Resident Assistant (RA) and other Housing student staff. Overall operations entail coordinating any maintenance concerns residents may have with their room, student conduct administration, serving on an on-call duty rotation, coordinating building and room key access, and more. They hold daily office hours throughout the week and serve as a resource and support system to residential students! 

    Centennial Hall: Closed for 2023-24

    Grasso Hall: Ireland Gilmore 

    Litchfield Hall: Chris Henson  

    Newbury Hall: Morgan Knight / Chris Henson 

    Pinney Hall: Maranda Cox 

    Fairfield Hall: Ireland Gilmore 

  • About the Student Staff

    Student Staff

    In addition to RDs and the Central Office  staff, we have a number of Housing student staff groups that are integral to the Housing & Residence Life community.

    Resident Assistant (RAs):

    Within each residence hall, there is a team of RAs that oversee a certain section of the building. They serve as advocates for all students, and actively work to promote an engaging, educational, and respectful living community.

    Your residence hall is going to be your home away from home—RAs make sure everyone feels welcomed and comfortable in their new home! In the weeks leading-up to each semester, RAs go through extensive training on crisis-management, roommate mediation strategies, diversity, fire safety, and a whole host of other topics in order to be able to best serve their fellow student peers. They also receive ample knowledge of the various campus resources available to students (Counseling ServicesAccessAbility ServicesWCSU Police, and more), so that they can then pass that info along to a resident who could benefit further from utilizing that resource.

    RAs host a variety of programs and events throughout each semester to keep resident students engaged. RAs also educate residents on Housing and University policies, and uphold those policies when necessary to maintain a respectful and safe community.

    RAs are widely accessible as a resource. They sit nightly duty at the front desk of the residence hall, and there is always an RA that is on campus and on-call over the weekend.

    RAs are supervised by the full-time RD of the respective residence hall they work in.

    Academic Resource Mentors (ARMs):

    Academic Resource Mentors (ARMs) are peer mentors who live in the halls. Their purpose is to help coach and guide residents along their journey to academic success. If you find yourself struggling with a class, they will work with you to help understand the issues you might be having, and direct you to people or services that can make a difference in the outcome.

    Along with the RAs, ARMs go through extensive training prior to each semester to understand the various on-campus academic resources available to residents.

    Generally speaking, there is one ARM assigned to each residence hall. PInney and Centennial Hall have two each. ARMs host weekly office hours (&/or study halls) in the building they’re assigned to and will put on programs throughout each semester that will help residents learn skills that will make their college career easier.

    To learn more about your building's ARM(s), or for great lists of study tips, previous editions of The Handout, links to previous Gab & GROW episodes, or lists of PASS members who might be able to help you, click here.

    Info Desk Workers:

    There is an info desk in each residence hall that is staffed by a combination of Info Desk Workers and RAs. The info desk is where residents can sign-out video gaming equipment, table game equipment (pool/ping pong/etc.), board games, sign guests in and out, submit maintenance work orders, and more. The Info Desk Worker is a paid student position, and facilitate the above operation of the info desk.

    Student Administrative Assistants (SAAs):

    These students are hired by each RD to assist with the administrative functions of the residence hall. Their responsibilities include helping to complete paperwork, logging maintenance requests, tracking room inventories, and assisting with the daily scheduling and functioning of the Info Desk.

    HRL Housing OfficeStudent Office Assistants:

    The HRL Office has several students who run front-line service in the office, including greeting and providing information to walk-ins, answering phones/directing calls, and assisting in a variety of administrative functions within the office.

Requirements for Living On-Campus

  • The Basics

    In order to live in on-campus housing, you must be a matriculated student enrolled in at least 12 credits each semester. Graduate students are permitted to live on-campus if they are full-time (9 or more credits per semester). Married students may be accommodated in apartment housing if both are full-time, matriculated students.

    All resident students are required to have a meal plan when they live on campus.  The plan(s) available to them is determined by the building to which they are assigned.  Midtown students and Centennial students have the options for the Ultimate or Platinum plans.  Grasso and Pinney Halls are eligible for any of the meal plans (Ultimate, Platinum, or Blue plans).

  • Meningitis Vaccine

    You are required by law to be vaccinated within the last five (5) years, and to provide proof of the inoculation for meningitis to the University Health Services office.  The required vaccine for housing Is Meningococcal ACY&W-135, most often referred to as MCV4 (Menactra/Menevo).

  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) & GPA Requirements

    In order to maintain eligibility to live in the residence halls, Western’s Department of HRL monitors your GPA (which must remain at 2.0 or higher), and your satisfactory academic progress (SAP), meaning you must complete 24 credits per academic year.

    Generally, students who do not meet the SAP or GPA policy requirements will be permitted to remain in on-campus housing for a semester if they: attend intersession or summer classes and achieve the necessary credits or GPA; or if they have an action plan approved by their resident director which they follow through with. If you’re in danger of not meeting GPA or SAP, and if you do neither of these things, you will not be eligible to live on-campus. If you are academically suspended, you will be removed from any assignment you’ve been given and you will not be permitted to live in on-campus housing.

  • Official Communications

    All official communications from the office of Housing & Residence Life will be sent via email to your WCSU email account (yourname000@wcsu.educreate new email).  

    You are responsible for periodically checking your email so that you are aware of any official announcement, policy, or procedure that is being disseminated by the Department of Housing & Residence Life.

Residence Halls 

  • Centennial Hall – Westside Campus

    Centennial Hall

    Centennial Hall is a suite-style, co-ed residence hall that houses up to 6 residents per suite. Centennial Hall houses freshmen, sophomores and juniors or students who are 19 years of age or older, and/or who have 9 or more credits. This building serves as a “gateway” building into Pinney and Grasso residence halls. For more information on Centennial Hall, click here.

    ** Centennial Hall is off-line for the 2023 - 24 academic year. **

  • Fairfield Hall – Midtown Campus

    Fairfield Hall

    Fairfield Hall is one of three traditional-style, co-ed residence halls that house WCSU’s  first-year students. For more information on Fairfield Hall, click here.


  • Grasso Hall - Westside Campus

    Grasso Hall is a suite-style, co-ed residence hall that houses up to 4 residents per suite. To live in Grasso Hall, residents must have at least 24 credits and/or be 20 years of age or older. For more information on Grasso Hall, click here.

  • Litchfield Hall – Midtown Campus

    Renovated in 2017, Litchfield Hall is one of three traditional-style, co-ed residence halls that house WCSU’s freshman and first-year students. For more information on Litchfield Hall, click here.

  • Newbury Hall – Midtown Campus

    Newbury Hall is one of three traditional-style, co-ed residence halls that house WCSU’s  first-year students.  For more information on Newbury Hall, click here.

    ** Newbury Hall elevators are being replaced in Fall 2023.  Only floors 1, 2, and 3 will be open in 2023-24. **

  • Pinney Hall - Westside Campus

    Generally reserved for junior/senior students, Pinney Hall is an apartment-style, co-ed residence hall that houses up to 5 residents per apartment. To live in Pinney Hall, residents must have at least 57 credits and/or be 21 years of age or older, unless they are in the University Honors program. For more information on Pinney Hall, click here.

  • Amenities

    Custodial Staff

    The residence halls have hard-working staffs of custodians responsible for cleaning the bathrooms, lounges and other public areas of the buildings. They work Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. A limited staff is here on Saturdays to replace paper products in the public bathrooms, and to clean any extraordinary areas that may need special care. Custodians do not clean individual rooms, suites or apartments, nor do they pick up garbage left outside your doors. They cannot remove furniture from your room, nor store furniture or belongings for you.

    Our apartment-style residence halls are designed to offer nearly independent living. Therefore, students living in these buildings are required to care for (clean) their own apartments following move-in. Students should provide cleaning tools and supplies for their own apartments, such as vacuums, brooms, spray cleaners, etc. in order to keep them clean.

    Study Lounges/Gaming Lounges

    There are common lounges, study areas, and lounges with table games (pool, ping pong, etc.) in each residence hall. More games and supplies can be found at the Info Desk for residents to utilize (see “Info Desk” section).


    Washers and dryers are located in each residence hall. Cleaning supplies (soap, softener, etc.) are self-supplied. Laundry is included in the price of your room beginning in 2023-24, so  you won't need to use change or your ID card to use the machines!  The company that we contract our machines out of also provides an app so that you can monitor which wash/dry units are available to use, and how much time is left on a cycle! For issues with washers or dryers, you can submit a service request here.


    Grasso and Pinney have full kitchens in each apartment. Common kitchens are available in the lounges of the other residence halls. Kitchens include sinks, microwaves, stovetops, fridges, and some halls have ovens. Kitchen supplies are self-supplied. Limited cookware is available to be signed-out by residents at the Info Desk.


    Each residence hall has several vending machines (i.e., candy, soda, juices, etc.). Prices vary by product. Vending machines accept cash, credit cards, Apple or Google Pay, or Connect Cash. Your Connect Cash balance can be managed through the WestCONNECT Office.


    Light mail (i.e. letters, envelopes, magazines) are distributed to the recipient resident at the Info Desk of their respective residence hall. Larger mail, such as packages of varying size, will be held at the WCSU Mail Room for the recipient resident to pick-up. Residents will receive an email to their WCSU email when their package is ready for pick-up.

    A resident’s mailing address while on campus is the following:




    DANBURY, CT 06810

    Jane Doe

    WCSU – Litchfield Hall 367

    181 White Street

    Danbury, CT 06810

    Internet Access

    Ethernet Ports are provided in each room for a computer, and all of our halls are wireless. Ethernet cables are provided to residents at the Info Desk to use for the duration of the year. For more information on connectivity and services provided by IT, please reference this helpful information.

    HBO Go and Showtime

    HBO GO and SHOWTIME are available free to students living on campus! Click here and scroll down to find information on how to set-up your complimentary account!

    Building Security

    All of our residence halls require specific key card access. Only residents that live in a specific residence hall have access to that building. All others will be stopped, identified, and signed-in (including residents of other residence halls) by an Info Desk Worker or RA in order to ensure building security and accountability for those visiting. For more information on setting-up your ID, please visit the WestCONNECT Office’s website. WCSU Police Officers also conduct frequent rounds of the buildings to ensure safety and security.

    Shuttle Service

    You may have a class on the campus other than the one on which your residence hall is located. Not worries! WCSU has a shuttle service that will get you back and forth, complete with WiFi on board! For more information on WCSU’s Shuttle Service, click here.

     Info Desks

    There is an info desk in each residence hall that is staffed by a combination of Info Desk Workers and RAs. The info desk is where residents can sign-out video gaming equipment, table game equipment (pool/ping pong/etc.), board games, limited cookware supplies, sign guests in and out, submit maintenance work orders for their room, retrieve mail, and more.

    In each residence hall, the info desk is staffed in shifts during the following times (times are subject to change based on departmental needs:

    Monday: 10AM to Midnight

    Tuesday: 10AM to Midnight

    Wednesday: 10AM to Midnight

    Thursday: 10AM to 2AM (Friday)

    Friday: 10AM to 2AM (Saturday)

    Saturday: Noon to 2AM (Sunday)

    Sunday: Noon to Midnight

Cost of Living On-Campus

Housing contracts are one year in length, meaning students who sign-up for housing are responsible for the full year’s payment, unless a request to cancel their housing contract is approved. The Housing Contract Cancellation Request Form can be reviewed on our forms page for reference.

  • Housing Deposit

    A non-refundable $250 housing deposit is required to sign-up for housing.

    New Students: New students’ deposits (to guarantee a space on campus) are due by May 1st for the following Fall semester. 

    Returning Students: Due dates for returning students are in mid-March for the following Fall semester.


  • Residence Halls


    Freshman and First Year students are typically housed on the Midtown campus in a standard double-occupancy room. Generally in 2023, this runs about $4,315/semester for the room charge.


    Students beyond their freshman year are typically housed on the Westside campus in suites. Generally, these run between $4,585 and $4,993/semester for the room charge.

    Housing costs are subject to change from year to year. Visit our housing costs page for a more detailed look.

  • Residence Hall Social Fee

    All resident students pay a Social Fee of $22.50/semester. This is money that gets proportionally distributed back to the residence halls based on occupancy. From there, it is used by HRL staff to fund various programs and events for residents in that building. The RD is responsible for managing the overall budget of their respective residence hall.

  • Meal Plans

    All students living on campus are required to have a meal plan. There are three meal plan options, but certain residence halls require certain meal plans.

    Midtown and Centennial:

    The minimum required meal plan for students living on Midtown is the Platinum Meal Plan ($2,900/semester). The Platinum plan provides 15 meals per week, 3 guest passes, and $250 in Flex Points. However, students may also opt for the Ultimate Meal Plan, which is also $2,900/semester. This provides 21 meals per week, 3 guest passes, and $100 in Flex Points for the semester.

    Grasso and Pinney:

    Minimum meal plans for students living on Westside depend on the residence hall, but meal plans for Westside start at $1,700/semester.
    For a complete list of meal plan options and residence hall requirements, visit our housing costs page.

Residence Halls Policies

In order to maintain the community that our staff work so diligently to build within our residence halls, and to keep your experience enjoyable while here, various residence hall policies and community standards are upheld

  • Quiet and Courtesy Hours

    Quiet Hours
    Quiet hours are from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m., Sunday through Thursday, and from midnight to noon on Friday and Saturday.

    During finals, 24-hour quiet hours are in effect. If a resident violates the quiet hours policy during the 24-hour quiet period, or if they are documented for a possible Code of Conductopens PDF file  violation, they will be removed without warning from the residence halls in order to accommodate an environment conducive to academic success and studying for the rest of the building. Notifications will be posted around the residence hall prior to the beginning of the 24-hour quiet period. A disciplinary hearing would follow after the close of the semester.
    Courtesy Hours
    Courtesy Hours are in effect at all times. Courtesy hours is exactly what it sounds like—being cognizant of your own noise you are making so that you’re being courteous and considerate of others. If you are asked by someone to turn down volume or to be less noisy, please accommodate them. You can and should expect the same treatment from them in return. Commonly, you are considered too loud if you can be heard further than the door of the room next to your room.

  • Room Changes

    Some roommate pairings just don’t end up working out. In order to accommodate our residents, Housing offers a period of room changes of convenience for roughly a month, usually taking place two weeks into the start of each semester. This is, of course, space permitting.

    What this means is that, in the first two weeks, if you and your roommate just aren’t meshing, you’d wait until the start date for room changes of convenience, and—space permitting—we’ll help find you a new space that may work better for you.

  • Vacant Space In Double Room

    Over the course of the academic year, students may find that a space becomes available in their room, suite, or apartment. Housing & Residence Life will fill this space as necessary due to occupancy needs. Therefore, students with an empty space should always keep the space open and accessible (drawers empty, closet space set aside, bed available) for someone to be assigned at any time.

    When space becomes open during the school year, we will generally attempt to give the existing resident at least 24-hours’ notice before a new student moves in, but this may not always be possible. Over the summer, spaces that become open will be filled without notice by the Department as necessary.

  • Building Access and Security

    Never hold open an exterior door/prop open an exterior door to the residence hall. This will cause an alarm. Every time an ID card is presented to a reader to gain access, there is an audit trail of activity. If an alarm is activated, WCSU Police will respond.

    You should never let anyone into the residence hall without a card or being properly checked in at the Info Desk. Safety is a shared responsibility and you must be conscious of who is accessing your place of residence.

    Report a lost card immediately to your building’s Info Desk, WestCONNECT, WCSU Police, and/or your RD. ID Cards should never be given to a friend or other student.

    Individual room/apartment doors, or doors leading to public hallways (such as bathroom doors) must never be left in the unlocked position or propped open. Staff members have been instructed to check hallway doors on their rounds, to lock any doors found in an unlocked position and to close propped open doors. Disciplinary action may be taken if room or apartment doors are found left in an unlocked position or propped open.

  • Sprinkler Heads & Fire Safety Equipment

    Nothing may be hung from sprinkler heads. In addition, great care should be taken to see that your sprinkler head is not hit or damaged by items or activities in your room, suite, or apartment. In the case that a sprinkler head discharges, police and fire safety personnel will investigate the cause. Be aware that you may be charged with a violation of university policy if it is determined that your actions caused the discharge. You may also be liable for restitution /repair.


    The university is not liable, and will not pay, for damages to your personal belongings caused by sprinkler discharge (or other reasons). Please see the liability statement in this booklet, and make sure that you are covered by personal property insurance

  • Health, Fire, and Safety (HFS) Inspection

    Each month, members of the housing & residence life staff will inspect your rooms, suites, or apartments for health, fire and safety reasons. The inspection dates will not be posted.

    Please keep in mind that your room or apartment will be inspected with or without your presence. (Be aware that your room or apartment can be entered at any time by housing staff if it is felt that there is an emergency or impending danger to you, your roommate(s) or university property.)

    Violation(s) of university policy will be noted on the Health, Fire and Safety Inspection forms and you will be given a written copy of the form in order to allow you to rectify the violation(s). Dangerous or illegal items may be confiscated during inspections. If you have a violation, you will be given 72 hours to rectify it.

    After this time, your room will be re-inspected by the resident director. All initially noted violations will result in a written warning, regardless of whether or not you remedy the situation. If you do not take care of the violation, you will be charged judicially and a further sanction (restitution, probation, community service, and/or separation) may result. Additionally, if violations are found at subsequent inspections, you will be referred to the judicial system immediately to face the possible sanctions listed above. In essence, you are expected to keep your living space in a clean and safe condition at all times.

    **There may be modifications to this policy due to Covid-19 restrictions.  Please look for announcements and postings in the building regarding this.

  • In Case of Fire

    If you hear an alarm, or if you discover a fire and pull an alarm, prepare for exiting the building by doing the following:

    • Take a towel to cover your face in case there is smoke.
    • Close all windows. Oxygen feeds the fire.
    • Check your door frame for heat.  If it is hot to the touch, stay inside and call the police emergency number (911) to notify them that you are in your room.
    • Take your ID or room keys with you.
    • Close your door behind you.
    • Walk quickly but don't run to the nearest accessible exit. If there is smoke, stay near the floor, as smoke rises.
    • Wear shoes and warm clothes. You can be outside for a long time with some alarms.
    • Remain calm.
    • Report to the identified evacuation area for your building.  (See fire maps below).



    Westside campus

    Pinney Hall:

    If you leave through a front door, please head to the right as you exit. Move to the far East corner of the parking lot near Grasso.

    Be sure that you’ve cleared sidewalks, entryway, doors, and roads to the building for fire department access. If you leave from the rear exit, walk down the stairs and away from the building into the back parking lot areas.

    Keep roadways clear for fire department access.

    Grasso Hall:

    Exit to the West of the building, toward the front Pinney parking lot, or from the rear to the far lane of the back parking lot. Please keep all roadways and parking areas clear for fire access.

    Centennial Hall:

    From the front, please exit to the left of the building and move to grassy areas beyond the access road. From the rear exits, please move to the far end of the courtyard, beyond the access road and closer to the garage area. Please keep all roadways clear for fire department access.


    Midtown campus

    Newbury Hall: From the rear (parking lot) side of the building, residents should move toward the boiler house and Litchfield Hall area. You must clear the parking lot entirely, as this is where the fire        trucks will access the building. If you leave from the Eighth Avenue side, please move to the grassy lawn near Litchfield.


    Fairfield Hall: From whatever door you exit, please make your way to the Alumni Circle area between Fairfield and Old Main. Do not go into the parking area between Fairfield and White Hall, as this is where fire trucks will access the building.


    Litchfield Hall: Residents should make their way to the Old Main parking lot or to the far end of the patio area near the boiler house. Please stay away from the main entrance to the building and the White Street (Health Services) side, which is where the trucks will access the building.

  • Cooking

    Cooking is not permitted in rooms on Midtown. There are facilities throughout most buildings where you may cook, using appropriate caution. In lounges, microwaves are provided, but other cooking appliances are prohibited.

    Apartments in Pinney and Grasso are equipped with kitchens, but cautious cooking should be the rule. This includes making sure your ovens, microwaves and appliances are kept clean, and that any malfunctions are promptly reported for repairs. Sloppy or dangerous cooking procedures and facilities (greasy buildup, inappropriate appliances, etc.) that result in fire, smoke or excessive heat damage and alarms will result in the filing of university charges against the residents responsible for the conditions which caused the damage or alarms. Restitution for resulting damages will be a minimum sanction in such cases and housing separation could also result in a sanction

  • Marijuana - Medical and Recreational

    Western Connecticut State University (WCSU) receives federal funding through Title IC in the form of student financial aid (grants, loans, and work-study programs) and through federal research grants.  As a condition of accepting this money, WCSU is required to certify that it complies with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities ACT [DFSCA] [20 U.S.C. 1011i;34 C.F.R. part 86].  The federal government regulates drugs through the Controlled Substances Act Page 48 of 62 [CSA].  Thus, to comply with the Federal Drug Free School and Communities Act and avoid losing federal funding, WCSU prohibits all marijuana use, including medical marijuana, and students may be subject to disciplinary action for its use.  Therefore, marijuana prescribed for medical purposes, or that specific to recreational use, is prohibited at WCSU even though there may be state laws that permit its use elsewhere in the state.  

  • Smoking and Tobacco

    As of July 2023, the WCSU campus is smoke- and vape-free everywhere. 

    All residence halls at WCSU are tobacco and smoke-free (including e-cigarettes/vapes/etc.). There are no areas in any residence hall where smoking or chewing tobacco is permitted. 

  • Guest / Visitor Policy

    Visitation to the residence halls of guests is permitted during the operation of the Info Desk:

    • Monday: 10AM to Midnight
      Tuesday: 10AM to Midnight
      Wednesday: 10AM to Midnight
      Thursday: 10AM to 2AM (Friday)
      Friday: 10AM to 2AM (Saturday)
      Saturday: Noon to 2AM (Sunday)
      Sunday: Noon to Midnight

    All residents and guests will be required to follow the procedures outlined below:

    • All persons entering a residence hall (residents and guests) are required to present an accepted form of identification to the Info Desk staff in order to enter the building. Each time a valid ID is not provided, it will be logged, and on the third event, you will be documented, with a disciplinary meeting to follow soon afterward.
    • Visitors to the residence hall must stop at the Info Desk immediately upon entering the building. They will:
      • Inform the staff of their name(s)
      • Present an accepted and valid form of identification
        — WCSU ID
        — State Driver’s License
        — State Issued ID card
        — Passport (or Passport card)
        — US Military ID
      • Inform the staff of the name and room number of the resident they wish to visit
    • Residents must come to the desk to sign guests in. Guests may leave a message for the resident (delivery is not guaranteed). Guests are not permitted to enter the building to “look for” residents.
    • When a resident signs a guest in, they are assuming responsibility for the actions and conduct of the guest(s) while they are in the building. Residents are responsible for informing guests of university policies and regulations.
    • Guests must be accompanied by the resident who signed them in at all times while in the building. Any guest(s) found in the building unescorted by the resident who signed them in will be asked to leave immediately, and the resident will face charges in the university discipline process. The guest may also lose the privilege of visitation to campus residence halls.
    • All residents are responsible to escort their guest(s) out of the building and are encouraged to sign their guest(s) out, thereby terminating their responsibility for the guest(s). Guests may also opt to sign themselves out, protecting themselves. Please remember, although signing out is optional, all guests must be appropriately signed in each time they enter a building.
    • All buildings must be entered via the front or main entrance door(s) near the Info Desk. No one may permit entrance through exit-only doors, windows, balconies or other means.
    • Guests must be 18 years of age or older. Guests under the age of 18 may only sign into the building with a signed parental permission form, which can be found here. The form must be submitted at least two business days in advance.

    Guests who violate university or residence hall policy may lose their privilege to visit in or around university residence halls.
    Please refer to the maximum occupancy chart for information on numbers of guests permitted.

    Overnight Guests

    Students are permitted to have overnight guests in their rooms only if there are no objections from all roommates. A guest may stay overnight for no more than two nights in a seven-day period. Misconduct on the part of any guest or violation of any university or housing policy is the ultimate responsibility of the host resident.

    Violations of these visitation procedures will result in university discipline, including the loss of visitation privileges.

    Minor Policy 

    Protection of Minors 

    WCSU is committed to the safety of all individuals in its community.  The University has significant concern for those who are potentially vulnerable, including minor children, who require special attention and protection.  This policy establishes guidelines for the guest policy regarding individuals under 18 years of age.  This policy is in line with the University’s commitment to promoting the safety and well-being of minors.

    This policy does not apply to enrolled undergraduate WCSU students under 18.  The University reserves the right to remove a guest who has violated University regulations from campus. 

    Minor Guests Provisions 

    Guests under 14 are not permitted in the residence halls unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian throughout their visit.  Guests 14-17 years of age are allowed to enter WCSU residence halls with a pre-arrival Guest Visit Parental Permission from a legal parent or guardian.  The visitation form must be completed and submitted no later than 24 business hours before the visitation date, or by noon on Friday if the visit occurs on Saturday or Sunday.  Minor guests may not spend the nights on campus.  WCSU does not provide childcare services and is not responsible for monitoring or overseeing a resident’s guest(s) of any age other than standard enforcement of applicable university policies.  Minor guests arriving on campus without a signed permission form will not be allowed to check into the residence halls.

    Host of Minor(s) Responsibilities 

    For purposes of this policy, a host is defined as any student residing in a WCSU residence hall.  The resident host is responsible for the behaviors of any individual(s) they allow access to their residence hall room or building.  The resident host is subject to disciplinary action if their guest violates any University policy or regulations.

    The resident host is responsible for ensuring that: 

    • The guest’s parents (or legal guardian) have completed the Guest Visit Parental Permission from  at least 24 business hours in advance of their visit
    • The resident host has received permission from their RD, which will serve as confirmation and approval.
    • The resident host escorts the minor guest at all times
    • The minor guest is correctly checked in the Host residence hall
  • Room & Apartment Maximum Occupancies

    There is a maximum of two guests per resident permitted in each residence hall.

    Listing of residents per room w/ number of guests you may have:

    • 1 resident – 2 guests (total occupancy of 3)
    • 2 residents –  4 guests (total occupancy of 6)
    • 3 residents –  6 guests (total occupancy 9)
    • 4 residents – 8 guests (total occupancy of 12)
    • 5 residents – 10 guests (total occupancy of 15)

    Note: This does not mean that if you are the only resident in your room, you can still bring in guests for non-present roommates (e.g., you can’t invite extra people if all your roommates are out).

  • Alcohol Policy

    A complete PDF version of the WCSU Alcohol Policy can be found hereopens PDF file . What follows is the section of the policy as it relates to the residence halls:

    A. Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons under the legal drinking age is prohibited. Sale, purchase or possession of alcohol without liquid (alcohol vaporization) machines is prohibited. (Section 30-116)

    B. The manufacturing of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.

    C. Students of legal drinking age may not have alcohol in their room/apartment at any time if any of the students residing in the room/apartment are under the legal drinking age. No alcohol will be visible or consumed while anyone under the legal drinking age is in the room or apartment.

    D. It is never permitted to possess an open container of alcohol or consume alcohol in public areas in or around the residence halls. This includes but is not limited to hallways, practice or study rooms, computer rooms, lounges, bathrooms, and lawns or parking areas adjacent to the residence halls (including parking garages).

    E. Common source alcohol containers (such as, but not limited to, kegs, beer balls, punch bowls and wine boxes) are prohibited.

    F. Alcohol containers, full or empty, may not be used for decorative purposes. Paraphernalia associated with drinking or alcohol-related games (such as, but not limited to, funnels, beer bongs, shot glasses, and taps) are not permitted in the residence halls. Possession of such implements or containers is a violation of University policy.

    G. The storing, displaying or collecting of empty alcohol containers in a room or apartment is prohibited. Failure to remove empty containers or storing empty containers can lead to health and safety violations.

  • Parental Notification for Alcohol & Drug Violations
    The university has adopted the following parental notification policy, both for incidents that occur on-campus and those that occur at off-campus university sanctioned events:
    1. Western Connecticut State University will notify parents or guardians of students under the age of 21 (at the time of adjudication) that their son or daughter has been found responsible for violating the university’s alcohol or drug policies. This will occur after a finding of responsibility for the second alcohol or drug offense, except in such cases detailed in #4.
    2. Students whose parents will be notified of an alcohol or drug violation will be informed of such during the course of their judicial meetings with an investigative officer or a university judicial officer, after a finding of responsibility is made. This will allow the student to make contact with his or her parents or guardians prior to the letter’s arrival.
    3. Letters will include resources available at the university and the nearby community to assist the student and his/her family should they wish to pursue counseling or other processes.
    4. In specific cases, the university will notify the parents or guardians of students under 21 years of age following a first violation. The university judicial officer, in conjunction with the dean of students, will determine whether a letter should be sent to parents/guardians after a first violation. Examples of such cases may be as follows:
      • The incident involved significant property damage;
      • The incident involved a reckless disregard for the safety of themselves and/or others; and
      • The incident was accompanied by other serious violations of university policy.
    5. If a student under the age of 21 is transported to the hospital because of drugs or alcohol, the university will contact (via telephone) the parents or guardians of that student to inform them of the potentially serious incident. The following procedure will be in place for such a situation:
      • University Police will make the transport determination, in conjunction with EMS personnel.
      • If the incident occurs at an off-campus, university sanctioned event, the advisor or university representative responsible for the event will contact the campus police, who will follow the procedures below (for non-resident students).

    The RD (in the case of resident students), or the University Police (who will notify the admin on call in the case of non-resident students), will notify parents/guardians that an emergency has occurred with their son or daughter, and that a parent or guardian must go to the hospital to retrieve the student. The student will not be permitted to return to the residence halls or resume classes until the student has met with the alcohol and substance abuse prevention coordinator (or the dean, in her absence) to discuss the incident and options for assistance available from the university and community resources.

  • Bag Checks

    Students entering the building with bags (backpacks, bags, or other) may also be asked to show their bags at the information desk so that staff may check for alcohol or other non-permitted substances or materials. The entire policy may be read in PDF form hereopens PDF file .

  • Individual Damage & Public Area Damage (PAD)

    You are responsible for any and all damages that occur in your residence hall room.  These are known as individual damages. You may appeal individual damage charges within 30 days of receiving your bill by emailing your resident director.

    All students are responsible for damages that occur in public areas of the building. Public area damages (PAD) are reported to the building’s RD when they are discovered. These can be physical damages, such as broken doors or windows, or may be things such as excessive cleaning (urination in a stairwell). Public Area Damages cannot be appealed. All charges are made available for review throughout the semester.

    When damage occurs, an amount (determined by the Department of HRL and Facilities Management) is applied to the damage. It is billed to the responsible person when that person can be identified. Often, though, no one can be identified, and the charge is shared by the general community. It is important if you know who is responsible to bring that information forward to the hall council officers or the RA so it can be discussed at your hall council meetings. All charges and assignments are listed in hall council minutes and posted throughout the semester. Public area bills are charged at the end of each semester, while individual damages are charged immediately.

  • Room / Suite Lockout Charges

    1st Occurrence: Free!
    2nd Occurrence: $15.00 (charged to your student account).
    3rd Occurrence: $25.00 (charged to your student account).
    4th Occurrence: $25.00 (charged to your student account) and a Disciplinary meeting with the RD.

  • Rules for Westside-Specific Residence Halls

    Apartments and suites require some different regulations than the traditional Midtown residence hall rooms. Here are some policies relating specifically to Pinney, Grasso, and Centennial Halls.

    The only non-university furniture permitted in Centennial, Grasso or Pinney is one small entertainment center unit. Small plastic/metal shelves and drawers are allowed in Westside residence halls to help with storage.

    Wall Decorations
    Decorations may be hung on walls with removable poster strips or hooks only. No duct tape, packing tape, molly bolts, anchor screws, nails or prong holders may be used.

    Due to ongoing safety concerns, the Pinney balconies are no longer available for student resident use.  In 2023-24, the balconies will be locked off, and students or guests who are discovered to be using the balconies will be documented and enter the Judicial process.

    Balconies will be removed completely in a renovation project being planned for Pinney Hall.

  • Prohibited Items and Activities

    (This list is not intended to be all-inclusive, and additional items may be added to the list as they become identified. The university reserves the right to limit the usage of any appliance on an as needed basis.)

    1. Firearms of any kind, or any item that could be mistaken for a firearm. This includes, but is not limited to, water guns, twirling rifles and paintball guns.
    2. Weapons of any kind, legal or illegal, including but not limited to guns, knives, bows and arrows, martial arts types of equipment, BB guns, pellet guns, Nerf® guns, air guns, or paint guns. “Weapons” means any firearm, including BB guns, pellet guns, air guns, or paint guns, whether loaded or unloaded, any knife (excluding a small pen or pocket knife), including a switchblade or other knife having an automatic spring release device, a stiletto blade, sabers or decorative swords, any police baton or nightstick, bows and arrows, any martial arts weapon or electronic defense weapon.
    3. Explosives or fireworks of any kind.
    4. Volatile liquids and substances of any kind, including but not limited to fuels, open paints, paint thinner or turpentine. Art equipment should be kept in lockers in the art department.
    5. Gasoline motors, including motorcycles and mopeds, in the residence halls.
    6. Wicker, paper or other types of flammable wastebaskets.
    7. Prohibited appliances on the Midtown campus include: George Foreman grills, hot plates, toasters and toaster ovens, electric frying pans, crock pots and immersible heating coils. *Centennial, Grasso, and Pinney Halls are allowed to have toasters.
    8. Room air conditioners and space heaters.
    9. Microwaves in rooms on the Midtown campus, other than those provided on the Microfridge rental units. Westside may only have the university-provided microwave.
    10. You are permitted to have refrigerators, but they may not be larger than 3.6 cubic feet, and you may have no more than one per resident in each room or apartment.
    11. Non-UL approved or faulty appliances.
    12. Halogen lamps of any kind.
    13. Octopus (multi-tap) outlet plugs and extension cords, as well as outlet extenders that are not surge-protected. (UL approved circuit breaker power strips are permitted if necessary.)
    14. Flammable or non-UL approved decorations, including Christmas decorations and string lights. You may have decorations that are UL-approved. These must never be placed outside of the room or in a dangerous position in the room. No decorations may be hung from Pinney Hall balconies.
    15. Live (or cut) Christmas trees.
    16. Waterbeds.
    17. No major weight-lifting equipment. Minor weight-lifting equipment must be less than 20 pounds.
    18. Rooms and apartments must be kept clean of uncovered food, soda or other cans, excess dirt, litter and other unsanitary items or conditions.
    19. Incense or candles, burnt or unburnt, of any kind, and for any purpose.
    20. Illegal drugs and/or drug paraphernalia, including hookahs.
    21. Pets, with the exception of non-meat-eating fish, which may be kept in containers not to exceed ten (10) gallons in capacity.
    22. Objects placed on window ledges or hung from windows. (See Westside Specific regulations for balconies).
    23. There is no smoking permitted anywhere in WCSU residence halls. Smoking materials of any kind, including Beedi, clove, vaping or e-cigarettes, or other cigarettes and smoking paraphernalia, including but not limited to hookahs, are violations of policy. All smoking must be done at least 15 feet away from the building. Smoking is not permitted on Pinney Hall balconies.
    24. Chewing tobaccos (or similar products).
    25. Stored alcohol or other beverage containers in rooms or apartments, even if used for decorative purposes. You also may not display alcohol packaging, and/or cardboard boxes.
    26. Water bombs, balloons, squirt guns and water fights.
    27. Snowball throwing in the immediate vicinity of the residence halls (including parking areas and adjacent lawns).
    28. Sports play in the hallways (for example, playing catch, rollerblading, roller-skating, scooters and skateboards, bicycling, running, etc.), aside from those sponsored as programs by the housing & residence life department.
    29. You may not remove room or apartment furnishings, nor may you use lounge furnishings at your discretion.
    30. You may not remove or damage any windows or window screens (including slicing, cutting, ripping). Screens may have tamper-proof stickers installed, and will be inspected in the monthly health, fire, and safety inspections. Screens which have been tampered with will be noted, and residents will be charged in the university discipline process.
    31. No items thrown, tossed or otherwise moved through windows, screens, or balconies.
    32. Exterior clotheslines (this includes Pinney balconies) or placing drying racks in the hallways.
    33. Illegally parked motor vehicles.
    34. Bikes may not be kept within the residence halls including inside your room/apartment/suite.  Also prohibited are electric scooters, hoverboards, or other electronic mobility devices (that are not mobility-impairment aids). Scooters, skateboards, roller skates/roller blades are not to be used inside the residence halls as well).
    35. Using an exit-way for any purpose that will interfere with its use as an exit-way.
    36. Altering or tampering with heating, electrical, fire safety, or security systems, including but not limited to misuses of smoke detectors, sprinklers and sprinkler heads, fire alarms, thermostats, or door lock systems.
    37. Collecting or assembling flammable materials that constitute a fire hazard.
    38. Using rooms or common areas for activities that could be considered parties.
    39. Using rooms and apartments as sales rooms or for storage of merchandise, solicitation or peddling.
    40. Deliveries to individual student rooms (excluding deliveries as part of HRL programs, e.g., candy-grams.)
    41. Pointing speakers out of residence hall windows, or excessively loud stereos, TV’s, video games, etc.
    42. Dry and wet erase message boards on your door (inside or out). They may be used on other surfaces.
    43. No materials may be posted or distributed in the residence halls without receiving permission and an “Approved for Posting” stamp from the housing & residence life department.
    44. Electric (or other) scent warmers, regardless of form of scent (oil, candle, wax, etc.), plug in air fresheners with a coil, diffusers.
    45. Washers, dryers, and dishwashers in individual rooms or apartments.
    46. Glow-in-the-dark stickers or similar decorations. Writing on walls with laundry or other detergents is also prohibited.
    47. Furnishings must not be within 18 inches of the front of AC/heating units in rooms or apartments.
    48. Curtains may only be hung using tension rods or 3M hooks.
    49. Table games (such as pool, ping pong, foul shot games, pinball or other games of chance or skill) in rooms and apartments. Poker or other card games and paraphernalia associated with these games are prohibited as well.
    50. Drinking games (including those played with non-alcoholic beverages) are prohibited.
    51. Entering or exiting rooms or apartments through windows or balconies, other than in the case of an actual fire or a life-safety emergency.
    52. Nothing (cloth, beads, etc.) may be hung from ceilings. Also, nothing is ever to be hung on doors or from overhead pipes and/or sprinklers/sprinkler heads.
    53. Pull up bars may not be hung from doorways.
    54. Painting, wallpapering, stamping and/or stenciling walls.
    55. Decorations may be hung on walls with removable poster strips or hooks only. No duct tape, packing tape, molly bolts, screws of any type, nails or prong holders may be used. No permanent or semi-permanent structure can be attached to any walls, ceiling or floor.
    56. Students may not lease, sublet, rent out, or in any other manner use their rooms or apartments as hotels or other temporary lodging to/for anyone.
    57. Activities that are violations of local, state or federal laws.
  • Liability and Personal Property Insurance

    The university shall not be liable, directly or indirectly, for loss and/or damage to personal property by fire, theft, water damage due to any source of water contamination, or any other cause.  Every resident is encouraged to hold private property insurance coverage since the University Insurance Program is limited to coverage of only university-owned property.  Please check your parents’ homeowners’ policy, as it may cover you while at college.  Please check into insurance coverage immediately.

    Housing and Residence Life partners with GradGuard for renter’s insurance.  You can get coverage while filling out your Housing Application.

Residence Halls Processes and  Procedures

  • Room Assignments

    Housing assignments are generally for the length of the academic year. Students may make changes if desired during the open room change process (2-6 weeks after the start of the semester) or during the room selection processes for each semester.

    The university reserves the right to alter room assignments at any time based on its needs (which may be, but are not limited to): maintenance needs, roommate mediation, or health and safety (repairs, remediation, social distancing); or conduct-related sanctioning.

    A meal plan is required of all resident students.  The building you select or are assigned to determines what options you have for meals.  Please see the Housing Costs page, the Residence Hall page, or the Sodexo My Way page for more information.

  • Residence Hall Conduct Process

    If a resident is documented for a possible policy violation, they will be notified by delivery (from their residence hall’s Housing staff) of a time to meet with either the RD or a University Judicial Officer assigned to investigate the case.

    At this investigative meeting, the incident, and subsequent alleged policy violation, will be discussed. Residents have the right to plead “responsible” or “not responsible” for their involvement in the alleged policy violation. If they choose to plead “responsible”, they can waive their right to a formal hearing, and the RD and resident can adjudicate the case in-house with any sectioning as necessary.

    If a resident does not accept responsibility for their involvement in the alleged policy violation, or if they have an extensive campus judicial history, a formal hearing will be scheduled through the Office of Judicial Affairs. To learn more about that process, visit the Judicial Affairs web page.

  • Housing Selection

    The most important thing for you to know is that there is always something you will have to do to reserve your space each semester while at WCSU.

    With the year-long housing contract, you will only pay a non-refundable housing deposit ($250) once per year, generally in March for the following Fall if you are a returning student. You will be given specific instructions with your deposit notice which will outline the Fall room selection process. There will be a very simple, but very specific, set of instructions for you to follow in order to secure your Fall room.

    Your CULTURE priority points will determine a date for you to participate in selection. You and your selected roommates will sign-up as a group according to your priority point totals, and you will actually select the room or apartment you will be living in for the Fall.

    Priority Points

    Resident students can earn priority points in a variety of ways:
    — Attending RA/ARM programs
    — Attending weekly Hall Council meetings
    — Volunteering to show their room for Open Houses/Accepted Student Days
    — Getting good grades
    — Refraining from poor conduct activities
    — Other opportunities offered through the HRL

    When you go through the Housing Selection process, you choose a group of other people to live with the following year. The total of all your group members’ priority points determines your selection time. The more priority points you have, the higher your overall group total will be, and the sooner you’ll be able to choose over others. On the other hand, the less priority points you have, the lower your overall group total will be, and the later you’ll be able to choose over others.

    For the Spring semester, we anticipate that most of you will remain in your Fall rooms. However, there will be an opportunity to change rooms if you desire it, which will be advertised in the late Fall.

    Please be aware of postings on our social media, handouts in the residence halls, and emails sent to your WCSU account regarding how to reserve a space for the next semester.

    If you have any questions, please contact the Housing Office.

  • Residence Hall Withdrawal

    Students who leave Western Connecticut State University and University housing are required to notify the Department of Housing & Residence Life to officially withdraw from housing. Those students are also required to formally check-out with the RD of their building before they will be considered withdrawn.

    If you have a need to cancel your Housing Contract for any reason, yet remain enrolled at WCSU, you must make a request to do so. Students who enroll for the academic year in housing may cancel their contract prior to June 30th without penalty. After June 30th, the cancellation request will be reviewed by a committee to determine if you will be released from your contract, or will remain responsible for the room and full payment.

    Students who enroll for the first time for only the Spring semester will have until December 1st to cancel their contract without penalty. Again, after December 1st, the cancellation request will be reviewed by a committee to determine if you will be released from your contract.

    Students who request cancellation after the first day of classes, if they are approved for cancellation, will receive a pro-rated refund for their meal plan.  However, there is no refund for housing costs when a student cancels housing after the start of classes.

    Please see this information on the year-long Housing contract for complete details of how this contract impacts you.

  • Board of Regents Withdrawls Policies

    The Housing Deposit is a Non-Refundable deposit.

    Upon withdrawal from the University, the housing refund will mirror the University refund policy for tuition and fees as such:

    • 100% refund, less the housing deposit, for withdrawal up to and including the first day of University-wide classes as defined by the published university calendar.
    • 90% of the balance, less the housing deposit, will be refunded during the first week of university-wide classes.
    • 60% of the balance, less the housing deposit, will be refunded during the second week of university-wide classes.
    • 40% of the balance, less the housing deposit, will be refunded during the third and  fourth weeks of university-wide classes.
    • There is no refund of any charges after the 4th week of university-wide classes.